HELLO ALL AND ESPECIALLY JOHANNA

DO YA"LL LIKE COFFEY MADE IN A FRENCH COFFEY PRESS ? :coffeecomp:

coffee mmmmmm.....i have been a tea drinker all my life until the ripe old age of 45 and then i discovered coffee.... that is good coffee....i must admit my favorite coffee is the one i make myself at home in my saeco expresso machine..latte yum....unfortunately the french press doesnt do it for me...yet!!

I don't like coffee plungers because the coffee always tastes strong and bitter and I don't like grounds in my cup. My old recalled Corelle electric perculator had a thermostat failure after 30 years of use, and Wade and I bought a Bunn. It puts always hot water through the grounds rapidly, like many convenience store coffee makers. I like the Bunn as much as the old perculator. I want my coffee burn-my-tongue hot, and regular drip makers never manage that. My favorite coffee is Chock Full o'Nuts or Eight o'clock, nothing too fancy. I used to manage a bookstore with a coffeeshop that had dozens of expensive gourmet coffees, and I tried them all. I wouldn't want to wake up to any of them, though. LOL (get your minds out of the gutter, people- I'm talking about coffee!) I don't use sugar in my coffee, so maybe that's why I don't care for the espresso and stronger brews? If you get a plunger press, make sure you don't grind the coffee too fine.

Johanna

I don't like coffee plungers because the coffee always tastes strong and bitter and I don't like grounds in my cup. My old recalled Corelle electric perculator had a thermostat failure after 30 years of use, and Wade and I bought a Bunn. It puts always hot water through the grounds rapidly, like many convenience store coffee makers. I like the Bunn as much as the old perculator. I want my coffee burn-my-tongue hot, and regular drip makers never manage that. My favorite coffee is Chock Full o'Nuts or Eight o'clock, nothing too fancy. I used to manage a bookstore with a coffeeshop that had dozens of expensive gourmet coffees, and I tried them all. I wouldn't want to wake up to any of them, though. LOL (get your minds out of the gutter, people- I'm talking about coffee!) I don't use sugar in my coffee, so maybe that's why I don't care for the espresso and stronger brews? If you get a plunger press, make sure you don't grind the coffee too fine.

Johanna

thanks for the info... yes i will grind it coarse

P S. when i worked for the" Great A & P" I bet i did grind a ton of that eight ' o'clock coffee

Coffee, My only vice. :rofl: Luke I tried the presses but just didn't work for me... Roo- 45? I thought you were 21! :) I have to go with Johanna on the "Like it hot" quote. For a few years my ritual was to stop in to Dunkin Donuts on my way to work and sometimes on my way home! I soon started to realize that my day would reflect my first cup of coffee! Bitter-Bad day, Great-Great day! The problem was that DD was not consistant! I ordered EXACTLY the same way everyday yet my brew was different half the time! I looked on-line for a good coffee maker and believe it or not the original Mr. Coffee always rated high. The one day at Target it was on sale for $18- Well, I gave it a try and it is one of the best investments I have ever made! Now my Coffee is exactly the way I want every day and I saved a boatload of money! The way I get over the "not hot enough" problem is after adding the cream and sugar it goes into the Microwave for 45 seconds and I am in Coffee Heaven!

Coffee makers... we go thru at least 2 machines a year even with regular cleaning they just darn wear out, the liquid gold is hot round here amost 24/7, usually just folgers splenda and milk very rarely splurge on starbucks as I can not justify a 5 buck cup'o'joe most days, so we just make our own. Ahh yes a biscotti adds to the bliss on occassion.

Grind beans in my 30 year old Waring, four scoops of Eight o'clock into my Bunn, and 30 secs later Black Coffee...all day. I set my Bunn with one of them timers, so it shuts off after 8pm, and starts up at 4am. I've tried every machine under the sun...from $20 Mr. Coffee...to $300 Espressos...none finer than the Bunn.

COFFEE.............. I started roasting coffee beans about 4 years ago. Natural coffee tastes different from every mountain and every country arround the world. They(Max, Folg, etc) get consistant taste by adding flavoring, fillers (sawdust), preservatives, etc. Green coffee beans from the producer will stay fresh about 2 years. Once beans are roasted, they will loose about 1/2 their flavor within a week. Once ground, they loose 1/2 their flavor within 24 hours. I have a little roaster that does 5 days worth (in 11 minutes) for the wife & I. We grind enough for each pot full (about 10 seconds). My favorite is a Costarician Dota. There are hundreds to choose from and are not any more expensive than a can of "whatever" brand at the store.

......so, that's probably more than you ever wanted to know about coffee.

Luke, I'll bring you a batch the end of April (grand daughter graduating from Memphis State).

regis

BLACK FLAG i!i! Drinkin' black coffee, drinkin black coffee!

Maybe not so many old punks here but that song just echoes around in my head now.

Living in a town that is well known in Sweden for it's coffee a do drink lot's of coffee and allways black but sometimes with a hint of scotch whisky in it, yum. Gevalia is the brand we have here and that's what I drink.

Percolator is my favourite machine since I think it holds the taste better over a period.

Umm, free coffee at work keeps my addiction high.

Tom

ahhhh Coffee or for my NJ friends CAWFEE. I do like my coffee. My work colleagues know not to bother me till at least the first coffee and not to ask for stuff til the third.

Never been a real fan of the home Perculators but funny enough the cheap Mr coffee has been one of the best. They never deliver a hot brew and ALL dribble. At home I must admit I am a fan of the plunger. I grind my own in qantities for the one plunger at a time. In the workshop I do have an old Perc that goes 24/7 unless I'm using the hotplate to melt beeswax or warm oils (not in the coffee jug). I stayed in Cambria Ca a few years ago and on the way back to Newhall, stopped in boot barn Paso Robles. I was going thru the rack of Carhaart coats when I turned and there she was, the love of my life. Sitting there was THE biggest coffee mug I had ever seen. I bought it on the spot and used it at work until alas we had a slight accident. It has now gone where all good coffee mugs go to retire. My desk as a pen holder. Oh yeah it had meetings suck on it and I would take it to meetings too.

Now coffee drinking in serious quantities in Australia is a relatively new thing. Being of predominately British stock we were mainly tea drinkers. I still chop and change from coffee to tea. I love my Dilmah. Coffee like we have today was not seen in great volume til the mass migration after the war. In the workshop I just grind up whatever I get on sale at the supermarket but my all time favourite comes from a micro roasting house in Cali.

http://www.newhallcoffee.com/

I'm not a fan of the large chain coffee stores. 1 the price and two, call me old fashioned but I like my coffee to taste like coffee and not a mochafrappalatteechino'd hazelnut hot fudge sunday. Also beat me silly but give me my coffee in a china mug and not a cardboard cup with a sleeve.

Barra

Edited by barra

ahhhh Coffee or for my NJ friends CAWFEE. I do like my coffee. My work colleagues know not to bother me till at least the first coffee and not to ask for stuff til the third.

I'm not a fan of the large chain coffee stores. 1 the price and two, call me old fashioned but I like my coffee to taste like coffee and not a mochafrappalatteechino'd hazelnut hot fudge sunday. Also beat me silly but give me my coffee in a china mug and not a cardboard cup with a sleeve.

Barra

:NEWFUNNYPOST:

My feelings exactly......although I do use a Bunn every morning ....10 seconds to grind and 3 minutes to drip a pot.

Regis

We use a KitchenAid grinder and grind fresh for the pot in the morning. The coffee maker is a Cuisineart drip we picked up at Costco. Works great and the carafe keeps the coffee hot for a few hours. We buy Starbucks house blend at BJ's Wholesale Club in the 2 lb. bags and the odd bag of other beans here and there as they seem interesting.

Regis, you pretty much quoted the coffee gospel on ground coffee losing its flavor, but I personally don't really see much difference as long as you use the ground coffee in a few days. On the other hand, there is a flavor loss after roasting, but I find it most pronounced within the 1st 15-30 minutes. My brother owns a coffee shop and roasts his own beans. When he brews a fresh pot right from the roaster, it's out of this world. Wait an hour later and it's still excellent, but not much different than what he roasted a day or so earlier.

Bill

The coffee maker in the shop is the main tool. It's called Trevi, Spidem. Something like that anyway. Dang it sure makes good coffee. Just add the fresh expresso beans from Costco and water and push a button. I only have to dump out the hopper every couple days. I don't think there's anything better than that coffee made fresh. Sorry folks, I just can't agree with drip coffee makers. Coffee that sits there for an hour on a hot plate just can't be good.

Regis, I'd sure like to learn more about how and what you use for roasting your own beans.

Here's a picture of the main tool in the shop... :red_bandana: I think this thing is made in Italy. Works good for cawfee...

Trevi.JPG

post-5571-1205161508_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bob

The coffee maker in the shop is the main tool. It's called Trevi, Spidem. Something like that anyway. Dang it sure makes good coffee. Just add the fresh expresso beans from Costco and water and push a button. I only have to dump out the hopper every couple days. I don't think there's anything better than that coffee made fresh. Sorry folks, I just can't agree with drip coffee makers. Coffee that sits there for an hour on a hot plate just can't be good.

Regis, I'd sure like to learn more about how and what you use for roasting your own beans.

Bob,

I use the I-Roast 2 and here is a link to one of the dealers that sell it....I buy some coffee from them tooo

Roaster-I-use

The hotplate on a drip coffeemaker that uses an insulated carafe doesn't kill the coffee. It only slows the heat loss. The hotplate on glass carafe drip makers, though, burns the living daylights out of it in no time.

Bill

The hotplate on a drip coffeemaker that uses an insulated carafe doesn't kill the coffee. It only slows the heat loss. The hotplate on glass carafe drip makers, though, burns the living daylights out of it in no time.l

[/quote

I have an old Oster Thermo Cafe (coffeemaker, NOT blender) that I got with Green Stamps (or Plaid Stamps- I don't remember which). It's got the insulated carafe & it's the best coffeemaker we've ever owned. I've only replaced the on/off switch. It makes a nice, rich brew (as opposed to some on the market that give a weak, watery taste & then burn it later).

As far as coffee, I prefer drinking it lukewarm now. In 10 years on the road you drink a lot of cold coffee & warm beer.

I've gotten used to the cold coffee but not the warm beer (which is why I have a beer fridge in the shop).

Edited by whinewine

Wait til I post the pics of the winning most stained coffee cup competition of this deployment. There is still a little time for further cultivation

Barra

Well I don't know much about grinding or roasting coffee. All I drink is good ole blacker than black firehouse coffee. And I drink it by the gallons cold ,warm or hot I don't care as long as it's coffee. We drink folgers one time one of the guys bought some fancey smancey stuff and he caught so much grief he hasn't done it since. Well whatever ya drink enjoy!!

Mike

Rawhide, I must agree with you on that point. Good coffee is just good coffee.... black as black, fresh is good though. Just don't mess it up with cream & sugar..... it's like drinkin' good whiskey with POP in it....

:pirate2: LOL :crazy:

"COFFEE" What a great topic. :) I make a pot every morning, at work or at home and if at home I'll put it in a thermo. bottle to keep nice and hot. Then its fresh untill it gone that day. I love just the regular coffee... and here lately its hard finding a bargain. The prices of coffee keeps going up and up. Sounds like coffee and leather workers go together well. lol

BLACK FLAG i!i! Drinkin' black coffee, drinkin black coffee!

Maybe not so many old punks here but that song just echoes around in my head now.

Living in a town that is well known in Sweden for it's coffee a do drink lot's of coffee and allways black but sometimes with a hint of scotch whisky in it, yum. Gevalia is the brand we have here and that's what I drink.

Percolator is my favourite machine since I think it holds the taste better over a period.

Umm, free coffee at work keeps my addiction high.

Tom

How about Nashville Pussy's " Fried Chicken and Coffee"? I had one of those built in carafe coffee makers that has the little dispenser you put your cup under and it was ok. The wife and I found an old Black and Decker percolator at the Home Works store for 3 dollars and that is the maker of choice for us.

I guess I am the only really odd one here. I live in the Great Northwest, home of Starbucks on every corner, Tully's coffee and Seattle's best....but I can stand the stuff. Taste's like dirt to me. I drink tea. Earl Grey at that.....am I living in the right country? :wtf:

I guess I am the only really odd one here. I live in the Great Northwest, home of Starbucks on every corner, Tully's coffee and Seattle's best....but I can stand the stuff. Taste's like dirt to me. I drink tea. Earl Grey at that.....am I living in the right country? :wtf:

Hey Tazzmann, I'm not sure you can possibly be a leather worker and NOT DRINK COFFEE..... :crazy:

Rawhide, I must agree with you on that point. Good coffee is just good coffee.... black as black, fresh is good though. Just don't mess it up with cream & sugar..... it's like drinkin' good whiskey with POP in it....

My coffee shop-owning brother would agree. He likes to say that the more you like coffee, the more you like it black. Me, I have to have the cream and sugar. It has to be cream, no milk, no half-and-half. And it has to be HOT.

You can develop a taste for anything, though. I had a night job when I was a kid where there was a nickel coffee machine. It spit out half-size cups of some of the weakest, nastiest coffee you can imagine, lightened with God knows what. I got to where I really liked it! Drank about a dozen or more every night.

Bill

Edited by bcurrier

Reminds me of an old Army joke.

'Tastes like dirt? It was only ground this morning.'

Gary