Chef niloc

? Bob Beard Tools?

Is there a way to get around the waiting list for his tools? I have been on his list for over a year now so I guess he's very back ordered in work load. Ways i have thought of.

I have herd that he does shows from time to time, is there one coming up? What are his offering at these shows?

Is there a store in his town that carries his tools or does he offer some for sale right out of his shop?

Anyone here friends with him and can put in a good word for me?

I want a few of his stamps but would also like a set of swivel knives. I would think he would make the knives in bunches and have some "extras"??

Bob is a great guy and pretty much honors his waiting list, which is a little over a year, I think. Folks from all over the world want his tools and are in line for them. He does bring common tools like bevelers etc. to shows, and you can walk away with something useful at a show. Sometimes, if you take one of his classes he will have some tools with him. If you want Bob's quality and creativity, you will just have to wait in line or go to a show, or take a class. Next show is probably Wickenburg.

Art

Is there a way to get around the waiting list for his tools? I have been on his list for over a year now so I guess he's very back ordered in work load. Ways i have thought of.

I have herd that he does shows from time to time, is there one coming up? What are his offering at these shows?

Is there a store in his town that carries his tools or does he offer some for sale right out of his shop?

I want a few of his stamps but would also like a set of swivel knives. I would think he would make the knives in bunches and have some "extras"??

As Art mentioned, Bob does have a collection of tools at the shows & his classes. I was fortunate three years ago to take a class from him and was able to get this pictoral bevelers & a grass tool (all I could afford) and he had a number of other tools with him. I don't recall that he had his swivel knives with him though.

About three, or was it four years ago I asked Bob about his swivel knives. He told me at that time that he was no longer doing them as his source for the barrel was very ill and not able to supply them. Maybe things have changed since then and he's back to selling them. His tools are in great demand and to get near his booth at a show is sometimes hard to do. Patience is a must when ordering from him or even talking to him. His tools are the cadilac of tools and well worth the price and wait.

I am very sure that Bob's tools are" top of the ridge". I think there are a number of folks who make fine tools also and we don't have to wait a year and probably no response.

If I ran our family business in this manner, there wouldn't be any business. If you cannot supply an item or items/tools in a timely manner then you should not advertise them.

I fully appreciate the fact he makes his tools individually one at a time. Don't mean to have a mean spirit here folks I just think waiting over a year for a leather tool from anyone is

totally lame.

ferg

About three, or was it four years ago I asked Bob about his swivel knives. He told me at that time that he was no longer doing them as his source for the barrel was very ill and not able to supply them. Maybe things have changed since then and he's back to selling them. His tools are in great demand and to get near his booth at a show is sometimes hard to do. Patience is a must when ordering from him or even talking to him. His tools are the cadilac of tools and well worth the price and wait.

Bob mostly hand makes them, some use duplicating machinery. Getting a handmade stamp from any of them takes time, and it is usually about six months to a year for anyone I have dealt with (other than Barry's special baskets with personalized centers). I have some of Bob's stamps. I bought a couple he had in stock at a show. I also ordered some more of his regular stamps at another show and he told me it would be about a year. Bob was upfront with this. These were stamps that he made I liked a little better than other makers. Ones that he had a stock pattern stamp and knew exactly what they were to be. I got them within a few days of being a year. No BS, he told me a year, I agreed, and it took about a year.

I am very sure that Bob's tools are" top of the ridge". I think there are a number of folks who make fine tools also and we don't have to wait a year and probably no response.

If I ran our family business in this manner, there wouldn't be any business. If you cannot supply an item or items/tools in a timely manner then you should not advertise them.

I fully appreciate the fact he makes his tools individually one at a time. Don't mean to have a mean spirit here folks I just think waiting over a year for a leather tool from anyone is

totally lame.

ferg

Ferg I appreciate what you are saying but I have to disagree with your philosophy on this one. I admit I'm prejudiced here.....I like Bob's tools and we're friends. But based on your reasoning none of the saddle makers or craftsmen who have year or longer waiting list should be advertising their products. I know I would be in trouble if I had to produce custom orders in a matter of days or weeks. IMHO, if you make a product that the consumer is willing to wait a year for, there is nothing lame about that. Bob is very up front about his turn around time. If you order a Dosier knife you will probably wait a year to get it. Is that lame? The other tool makers who are selling tools are either mass producing them or they don't enjoy the demand for their tools that Bob does. He prefers to build each tool himself by hand....I just don't see what is lame about waiting for custom had made tools. Just my opinion from a different point of view........

gun.gif

Bobby

Edited by hidepounder

Ferg I appreciate what you are saying but I have to disagree with your philosophy on this one. I admit I'm prejudiced here.....I like Bob's tools and we're friends. But based on your reasoning none of the saddle makers or craftsmen who have year or longer waiting list should be advertising their products. I know I would be in trouble if I had to produce custom orders in a matter of days or weeks. IMHO, if you make a product that the consumer is willing to wait a year for, there is nothing lame about that. Bob is very up front about his turn around time. If you order a Dosier knife you will probably wait a year to get it. Is that lame? The other tool makers who are selling tools are either mass producing them or they don't enjoy the demand for their tools that Bob does. He prefers to build each tool himself by hand....I just don't see what is lame about waiting for custom had made tools. Just my opinion from a different point of view........

gun.gif

Bobby

I have to agree with you Bobby, partially because I just received a tool I inquired about over a year ago. Peter Main makes an awesome modeling tool but only does limited production runs of them and has quite a bit of interest.

I checked in with him every 3-4 months to see how it was going but other than that I knew I'd be able to get one when my time came. I'm also 2 months into my wait for my custom maul and I'll wait another month if need be as I made some specific requests including sending my own piece of wood for the handle.

Being a gallery grade block of HF Amboyna Burl ($50 for a 2"x2"x5" piece of wood) I'm sure that'll be just a tad intimidating when the maker gets to that step. ;)

Speaking of custom work and possible wait times, I need to touch base with a fellow about a pair of custom conchos...

Thanks guys watch one of you is Paul?As for the weight I have waited up to 5 years for some custom knives to be made. I'm a sucker for top end tools. Best things in life one has weight for.

Ps I'd also like a Bill Buchman round/ head knife if any of you know some one who's willing to part with one? I'll pay top $$.

Colin

Bobby,

I agree with you for the most part. I have no problem with someone that wishes to wait umpteen months for a tool if that is their prerogative. Stamping Tools are the only product I was referring to. Saddles and any of your product I would wait a long time to receive, that is another type of item altogether.

Back to our family business: I buy several hundred carbide router bits every year, the best money can buy, as in $37.90 each, wholesale. Granted, these are made by machine, I wait 24 hours for delivery. If I had to wait a year or more we would be out of business. In this instance we are cutting a very abrasive material, cheap bits simply won't work BUT! I am sure there are makers of stamping tools that visit this forum who make close to the same quality as Bob with a lot less waiting time. Knives is another story. I would wait a year for them but I seldom do any stamping with them. :)

Please understand, all of you, I am not degrading Bob Beard or his work. I am simply saying that I don't think you should be making tools you cannot ship in a reasonable time. Several months doesn't normally bother me with stamping tools but come on, over a year? Don't get it. That is just coming from an old man that has been in business for over 60 years.

BTW: My inventory of fine tools and power equipment exceeds $350,000 easily.

ferg

gun.gif

Bobby

Ferg,

Just because there is a high probability that you might not be around to see completion of an order from Bob, doesn't mean that the rest of us should not partake of his capabilities. You don't think he should be making tools he can't deliver in a reasonable time? Everyone in THIS country has the right to make and produce their own level of quality product at a rate that THEY desire, unencumbered by the opinions of others who have nothing to contribute other than a whole lot of time and keystrokes, signifying nothing.

Art

Please understand, all of you, I am not degrading Bob Beard or his work. I am simply saying that I don't think you should be making tools you cannot ship in a reasonable time. Several months doesn't normally bother me with stamping tools but come on, over a year? Don't get it. That is just coming from an old man that has been in business for over 60 years.

ferg

Edited by Johanna
snipped one line out.

Art,

Coming from a very belligerent ,arrogant individual as yourself I chose to ignore your almighty references to my abilities or anything else.

Who the hell do you think you are?

The forum is for stating information and opinions I have mine and you have yours, don't look down your nose at me it doesn't wash very good.

ferg

You got it!!!! LOL

ferg

Ok no fighting! I do t want a mod to delete my thread till I get my tools (:

wtf.gifHow bout Art? He's a moderator isnt he

Ok no fighting! I do t want a mod to delete my thread till I get my tools (:

Edited by rickeyfro

For what it is worth, Bob Beard caters to a small niche market. He doesn't mass produce tools for people that mass produce product. He is a craftsman that produces for craftsman that understand the quality and uniqueness of his tools just as their clients understand and appreciate the quality and uniqueness of their products.

One man can only produce so much product in a given time period and his products are well respected and sought after so most reasonable people can understand the wait and are willing to get in line on his list. I have been a customer of Bobs for many years and have never been disappointed with any of his products and they have always been worth the wait.

This subject has come up before and people complained about his waiting list so a couple of years back I posted a list of his tools that were acquired from a Saddle Makers estate. Most were in like new condition and others showed wear only on the bluing. I priced these anywhere from 75% to 50% of Bobs prices and I actually still have some of them but those that were purchased were bought by craftsman that make a living with his product. So who are the serious buyers?

I think most everyone would like the high quality tools at a Tandy price and have them instantly materialize in their tool rack but this is real life. There are other options such as Barry King who also makes an excellent product but he is automated to a degree and has employees which at times can distract from the quality. I like Barry s tools a lot and order from him too but will say that I have had to touch up the faces on new tools from him . Not often but just once in a while and its no big deal because if it was something major Barry would immediately make it right.

The bottom line is that people are on the waiting list for a reason and that in itself is the reason for the waiting list. So simply get on the list, look for used tools or just pass. Those are pretty much your options with Bobs tools. My $ .02 worth.

Kind Regards

Blake

The BEST bevelers and my best basket stamp come from Bob. I use them over and over and over again, and I know if anything did happen to any of them, Bob stands right behind them. I waited, too. I have been to Bob's place in Farmington and see exactly how he operates; meticulously, hand-crafted, his own high standard of inspection. And his blueing process requires time; he doesn't make his tools by putting them in the oven at 350 for 20 minutes. Plus, Bob is all over the place, teaching, judging, always available to help.

The quality of Bob's tools reflect who Bob is. I value the man more than his tools.

Harvey Lutske

Los Angeles

Bob is honest about his wait times, and if you want the very best tools money can buy, you wait. If Bob didn't have loyal customers, he wouldn't be in business, but obviously people are willing to wait. If you don't want to wait, there are plenty of non-custom tools you can buy off the rack.

Johanna

There are some toolmakers out there that have a pretty quick turn around that still make a good tool. It may not be quite up to Bob's tools (reputation wise) but they are good none the less. They make good stuff and some of them will be in the class of a few of the masters if given enough time. Some of them are quite reasonable on prices and are way better than mass produced tools. I got a couple of thumb prints from Clay Miller last week. Best bang for my buck in quite a while. He is knowledgeable and will work with you to get you the tool you need. I expected a good, nice tool but was pleasantly surprised by how good and Nice they are. If we don't give these new guys a chance, we will not have custom handmade tools in a few years. There is room for newcomers if they want to make good stuff. My 2 cents worth. Ken

I have to say Bob's tools are top notch and well worth the wait. I ordered a short bodied swivel knife, and a 1/4" filagree blade from him a few years ago. It took about a year to get. But I can say I have never used a better knife. I love the short design, it is so much easier to use (especially if you have shorter stubby fingers like me)than your standard knives. And the bearing mechanism is smooth. All it takes is a little oil once in a while. He is a good honest man. And fun to talk to. Just don't put any orders on hold waiting for his tools, then you'll be broke.

I ordered 5 specialty stamps from Bob back in January. I got a call from him the other day and he was working on the last one. They should be ready to ship next week, much to my excitement. There is a perk to waiting a year for custom tools though. When tools cost a good amount of money, place your second order right when Bob gets ready to ship your first order. This way you are spreading your tool costs out year by year. It gives you plenty of time to set the money off to the side and also gives you enough time to choose your second order.

Frank

Thanks all, this thread and some of you helped me out alot! Bob had lost the papper work for my order but remembered talking with me and the order, we talked the other day and got it all straightened out. I never contacted him all these years as I thought he was just that backed up with orders. I don't like to contact guys like Bob to ask " hows my order comeing" as I feel like I'm being pushy, I guess checking in every 6 months to a year would be ok, and in this case would have been a good idea.

1321223217[/url]' post='220305']

There are some toolmakers out there that have a pretty quick turn around that still make a good tool. It may not be quite up to Bob's tools (reputation wise) but they are good none the less. They make good stuff and some of them will be in the class of a few of the masters if given enough time. Some of them are quite reasonable on prices and are way better than mass produced tools. I got a couple of thumb prints from Clay Miller last week. Best bang for my buck in quite a while. He is knowledgeable and will work with you to get you the tool you need. I expected a good, nice tool but was pleasantly surprised by how good and Nice they are. If we don't give these new guys a chance, we will not have custom handmade tools in a few years. There is room for newcomers if they want to make good stuff. My 2 cents worth. Ken

Would you list some of these tool makers here for me? I love custom tools and would love to check out some "new" makers. I have a nice small collection as I have only been working with leather for about 5 years now. My way of thinking is buy the best tools you can and one they will last a life time, two you will do better work as you kind of build a respect for the tool in your hand and thus the work your doing. Good after thought is the good custom tools seem to gane in value over the years so they make a good inheradence to pass on.

Would you list some of these tool makers here for me? I love custom tools and would love to check out some "new" makers. I have a nice small collection as I have only been working with leather for about 5 years now. My way of thinking is buy the best tools you can and one they will last a life time, two you will do better work as you kind of build a respect for the tool in your hand and thus the work your doing. Good after thought is the good custom tools seem to gane in value over the years so they make a good inheradence to pass on.

Like I said, Clay Miller really impressed me with the two thumbprints he made for me. I have a Bret Bronsen round knife I really like and it is reasonably priced. I hope some of the other members will add a name or two they have had good luck with. AND, I have a couple of beard beader blades I am really proud of. I looked at some established makers tools this week at a friend of mines house. They definately deserve the reputation they have. I have some Horseshoe Brand stamps I really like, Some Hackbarth that are very nice and quite a few Barry Kings. If all of us would just consider some of the newer makers, we would have up and coming makers for a long time. Thanks Ken