So I want to make my mom a tooled purse for Christmas and I have no idea where to start. Does anyone have a series of patterns I could look at/choose from? Design ideas?

I've thought about going to look at cloth purses, but I am really at a loss. She likes a bigger purse and I think I want to do a cloth liner.

Please send me in the right direction!

Mike

There are a number of purses in the show off section. Do a search for purse and limit it to show off. do the same for the gallery. You could look at what Tandy has simply for examples.

Tom

Thanks Northmount. I'll take a look. This is a daunting project for sure.

I would say: Don't limit yourself to the "Show of" section, ALL old purse pictures from this section ends up in: http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showforum=67 this forum. "Show of" is just a temporay forum for newer topics :-)

So I want to make my mom a tooled purse for Christmas and I have no idea where to start. Does anyone have a series of patterns I could look at/choose from? Design ideas?

I've thought about going to look at cloth purses, but I am really at a loss. She likes a bigger purse and I think I want to do a cloth liner.

Please send me in the right direction!

Mike

Don't envy you on this project Mike..

Are you putting the Punisher skull on the outside for her.. ;) LOL

You know you want to.. :)

Regards

Phil

Phil, you are hilarious! My mom would NOT appreciate the skull on her purse AT ALL! I should hide one in the floral pattern somewhere just for kicks and see how long it takes her to notice it!

Phil, you are hilarious! My mom would NOT appreciate the skull on her purse AT ALL! I should hide one in the floral pattern somewhere just for kicks and see how long it takes her to notice it!

Haha! Well if you do mate, I need..no hang on..I'll try that with a run up, to get the right emphasis......NEED to see pics :) LOL.!

In the meantime..good luck with your design hunt.. ;)

Ok, can anyone give me some pointers on how to sew the thing together? Should I skive all the mating surfaces? Obviously I'll glue it but this is giving me fits. Any help would be appreciated.

i punch my holes around the front and back then i glue back to gussett i use little spring clips every few inches to hold it all together. then i poke holes through the punch holes and gussett. i will do about 10 holes at a time, so i don't have to remove the clips all at once. hope this helps. i vote for the hidden skull

gritty

You guys and the hidden skull! Thanks gritty for the tips. I just pulled a bunch of those clips off my storage bins in my garage! I test fir it together with them. Haven't touched those clips in 8 years and BAM. There they were. How do you get the gusset to make the turn at the bottom of the bag where it makes the 90 degree turn? Just make it and pray? I wonder if my leather is too thick...

i'm using goat for the gussett, but you can skive the edges of the gussett. then get the gassett wet it will be more plyable. this has worked for me, but i've only 3 bags. are you doing square 90 degree corners or a radius corner?

Radius gusset, same leather as the rest which is 7-8 veg tan. Wetting is a good idea. I think I will skive the edges and see how it works. Thanks for the tip!