bluesman1951

Saying Nothing

I just looked at a profile with a bunch of postings and pictures lots of views and no comments .Very big effort ! Whats up with no comments ? No encouragement not a single word positive or negative . The span of this, years with not a single word . Please tell me how this can be . The one thing we all have in common is we sit or stand at a work station and hope to create something others will like and if we are lucky pay us for . The process is the same for all from the buying of the leather to the first cut and on through the project . There are all skill levels here so much experience ,why is it we can not find the words to give one of our own a nod or at least a few words of encouragement ? We all had a first day and like it or not there will be a last day when we no longer sit at our bench . The ads for tools for sale will be for our tools as they are scattered to the winds to be put in the hands of others . In the end it will all be just a memory a moment in time ,for some the work will live on loved and cherished by some for others the destiny of their work is unclear . I have found that a rush to judgement is a foolish endevour ,I am now more interested in who made something than what was made . There is a story behind each piece of work and that makes me very curious . Sad is the word I would use to describe my feelings after seeing all those views and no comments , just dont seem fair some how . Thats my two cents ,if you got this far ,Thanks for reading it all . Bill

You understand exactly what we are trying to do: "Education, entertainment and fellowship". Would you like to join the ambassador team and help out with the welcomes and bumping up any oversights?

~J

You understand exactly what we are trying to do: "Education, entertainment and fellowship". Would you like to join the ambassador team and help out with the welcomes and bumping up any oversights?

~J

I would be honoured if you found me worthy of this position .

Ouch, very proper slap up alongside the head, worded very nicely and appropriate. Seriously thanks Bill it was needed.

David

Bill, I usually comment when I have an opinion, but as I am relatively new, I don't feel comfortable commenting on many people's work other than I like it or don't, and I don;t want to say I don't like it without some experience to back up what I mean or why I think that. Guys like you or Katsass or Ferg have way more perspective, so sometimes I don;t say anything out of respect.

That being said, I have noticed a few of my posts get no comments. I appreciate your effort here!

Mike

Bill, I usually comment when I have an opinion, but as I am relatively new, I don't feel comfortable commenting on many people's work other than I like it or don't, and I don;t want to say I don't like it without some experience to back up what I mean or why I think that. Guys like you or Katsass or Ferg have way more perspective, so sometimes I don;t say anything out of respect.

That being said, I have noticed a few of my posts get no comments. I appreciate your effort here!

Mike

I am in the same boat. As a beginner, it's difficult to find something to say that doesn't sound more like a generic pat on that back. More often than not it seemed better to sit back and watch rather than risk my words sounds empty and meaningless.

I have noticed that more than a few of my threads get very little in the way of responses. I've even noticed that threads seem to die after I respond. Crickets and tumbleweeds...

It's hard not to feel like I've brought a plague with me.

Bill you make such a valid point and I know by the time I've worked on my paperwork, leather, meetings, etc. sometimes I just look because I want to see the persons work but just too tired to come up with something that doesn't empty. I think you'd make a wonderful ambassador and I'm so happy for the forum you stayed. Cheryl

Bill, you have a very good point..I agree with the other "newbies" when they say that they don't feel they are in a position to make comments on others' work. It feels like you are talking just to be heard, with no real meaning for the recipient behind it. I'm sure that isn't how the poster feels, but I know it would be a much greater compliment to get a positive reply from someone like you, as opposed to a greenhorn like me.

Congrats on becoming an "Ambassador"..you genuinely care about the folks on this board, and you have taught me personally the value of honest work, whether it turns out good or bad LOL

From the grump: I often lurk a bit, and view anything that interests me, but prior statements made, have said it all, and there is no reason to just re-state the prior conversation. There are a few times that upon viewing an item I'll shudder a bit, and really can not make up my mind as to where to start - so I just leave it alone. Mike

I can gladly say that Bill is a relatively new "friend" of mine and I can't wait till we can get together and learn stuff from each other. Congrays on the nomination Bill. I know you will make a great ambassador!!

Mike

Just a beginner who has tried to make a few things. I read and try and learn something new here all the time. But trying to apply what I've learned is a challenge LOL. I stand in awe of the talented people here. Awesome site!!!!!

Welcome Skeeter, you will find an answer to almost any question you may have. This place is a great resource and I have made some good friends already!

What are you interested in learning?

thanks Bill. i've posted only a few things with no reply or chief had the only useful critique. i was starting to feel like wasn't part of the cool group.

thanks again

brendan

I've gone the other way with some of my posts, Bill..

As a real newbie in actually working leather, despite my post count, I've given what I thought was good advice to only have the opposite view given by someone with more experience, on at least a couple of occasions..

The biggest was when I advised burnishing Latigo. (sorry Beliveryboi)

Sometimes, it's hard to know where to start when giving advice, if you don't have the experience to back you up..its not totally stopped my doing it, but sometimes I hold back..LOL

There are a lot of new people on the site now, even since I joined in late summer and I've noticed that there are a very select number of old hands that leave comments on posts.

We all know the ones that do..they give good advice, sometimes based on a great many years of this craft.

I'd like to thank them for that, because no matter how many new designs and finished pieces we get to view on here, they are all based on the original skills that these folk have.

I'm waffling, so I'll just finish up by congratulating you on your Ambassador staus, Bill.. Its well earnt.

Regards

Phil

Bill, congratulations on becoming the board's newest ambassador. And thanks for reminding everyone that comments are always welcome from newbies and experts alike. It's what makes Leatherworker.net a real community.

As a long-time member, I can offer some insight as to why comments are often made sparingly. Way back in the summer of 2006, when Leatherworker.net was just getting off the ground, there were only about 100 members and maybe a dozen posts per day. It was easy to get to know everyone and follow and contribute to each topic.

Of course, nowadays the forum is much larger. With many thousands of members from many countries and hundreds of posts to sort through, it's not easy to keep up. So for anyone who's interested, here are my suggestions for making your posts "comment-friendly":

#1 - Create a descriptive title. You'll get more views and comments from folks genuinely interested in the topic. Example: try "Pictures of my latest pancake holsters" instead of "new stuff."

#2 - Don't repeat a question that's already been asked and answered. Google is your friend. You can use it to exhaustively search this site using the following sample format:

site:leatherworker.net olive oil

#3 - Ask for specific feedback in your post. I've noticed that posts that ask questions receive much more attention than posts that simply state the obvious.

#4 - If possible, post pictures to add to the narrative of your post.

Regardless of the above advice, as Bill mentions, I've noticed good posts that go without comment. If someone stumbles across one, be the first to comment. That first reply often provides the spark that opens up a broader discussion.

Regards, -Alex

Thank you Alex! I'm going a little crazy trying to keep up with things this week, and I couldn't have said what you just did any better. Thank you for explaining posting so well.

~J

thanks Bill. i've posted only a few things with no reply or chief had the only useful critique. i was starting to feel like wasn't part of the cool group.

thanks again

brendan

Some times there arent words to decribe the thousand early mornings at the flea market in bitter cold waiting for customers. The realization that some one has taken a nice piece from your table without paying for it . Then there is the thousand Pow Wows where you put up a table ,the different cultures and manners you must learn on the fly . There is an awakening when you are in the heart of the Apache res at a Pow Wow selling Native music and you are the only White face there. LOL Had a good time made friends and got invited back as well . how do you explain that ? After a quater century of having tables at flea markets all over and the wholesalers in Gallup how does one put that in words . Just way to hard to explain in a few words .Every one is welcome here and I dont believe there is a COOL group at least I hope there is not . I dont tool anything so my comments are limited to my thinking : 1.) Would I ask this person to put some of their work on my project ? 2.) Would I buy this ? 3.) Could I sell this to one of my customers ? 4.) Can I see this in my friends saddle shop ? 5.) What is the competition like for this project ,how does it measure up ? 6.) Is what I am looking at STORE SHELF READY ? After that my intrest is who made it and why . There simply has to be some measure of love in a project for it to be complete . Its my feeling that if you have some leather on the bench or a tool in your hand we are already friends . Simple as that . Leather has been good to me ,for me it has given me my freedom from a real job for 25 years it has fed me ,given me a measure of respect ,made tons of friends , given me the ability to help a ton of kids its kept me at peace and there has not been a single day I sat at the bench that I did not wish to be better at my craft . Iam grateful for the memories and who ever ends up with my tools when I am done I hope you enjoy them as much as I have . So to all my new friends Thanks . I have enjoyed all your words and comments . lets rember to be kind to each other and I would like all to listen just once to Keb Mo's "Better Man " on you tube then try to live alittle each day by those words . Make the world a better place .

I am in the same boat. As a beginner, it's difficult to find something to say that doesn't sound more like a generic pat on that back. More often than not it seemed better to sit back and watch rather than risk my words sounds empty and meaningless.

I have noticed that more than a few of my threads get very little in the way of responses. I've even noticed that threads seem to die after I respond. Crickets and tumbleweeds...

It's hard not to feel like I've brought a plague with me.

That may be true ,(the response thing )but we can all do better all we have to do is say yes and begin . I intend to inspire a little country store atmosphere here every one can pull up a chair and get closer to the stove and talk leather or life . No reason not to make the world a better place . Drop me a message say hello ask a question and I ll give it my best effort to respond . I would like you try the deep end of the pool ,just jump in . Advise : When you start to smell feet stop ! (Dont insert foot in mouth) LOL ! That has worked just fine for me for some years now .

Bill,

You have definatly earned the title of ambasador. Recently it has seemed that the title of ambasador was given to those who start flame wars, I am glad to see you stepping up and trying to make others feel at home and not feel inferior with your input. I think all of us would do well to look to you as a leader. I am humbled hy your attitude and am honored to give you respect.

Aaron

Bill,

You have definatly earned the title of ambasador. Recently it has seemed that the title of ambasador was given to those who start flame wars, I am glad to see you stepping up and trying to make others feel at home and not feel inferior with your input. I think all of us would do well to look to you as a leader. I am humbled hy your attitude and am honored to give you respect.

Aaron

Thanks I am honored sir by your words . Bill

Bill, you have a very good point..I agree with the other "newbies" when they say that they don't feel they are in a position to make comments on others' work. It feels like you are talking just to be heard, with no real meaning for the recipient behind it. I'm sure that isn't how the poster feels, but I know it would be a much greater compliment to get a positive reply from someone like you, as opposed to a greenhorn like me.

Congrats on becoming an "Ambassador"..you genuinely care about the folks on this board, and you have taught me personally the value of honest work, whether it turns out good or bad LOL

Thanks for your words! I dont believe there are greater or lesser compliments in the end we are all equal some how . Every ones opinion matters and is important . When I make a new product I test market it first ,showing to as many people in as short a time as I can looking for honest opinions . My favorite test group is women espically ones who do not know me or any thing about leather ,they are brutaly honest (LOL) and if no one say "How Cute " the product is dead on arrival ,will never sell . Why this is I have yet to figure out ,but 25 years of experience has convinced me this is etched in stone .Your opinions are valuable your input is welcome and your participation will be aplauded ! Here in New Mexico the bar for artists is very high no doubt about it the talent level is superb in all mediums pottery ,leather ,silver the list is endless . One never knows who's hand you will be shaking on any given day . Beating one's own drum is considered tasteless and those who are full of them selves are soon forgotten . Deep down we all are aware that these talents are a gift from the creator and not sharing them blocks the flow and delays gifts we might be reciving ourselves . I try to donate the proceeds from one product I produce to make the world a better place keeping only the money to get another hide and repeat . Iam very set on helping : www.smiletrain.com if you take a moment and look you can see why . So thanks for reading ,have a great day and may all your projects turn out as well as you dreamed they would . It must have a little love to be finished and your time is worth something so sign your work . That makers mark says you cared enough to put your name on it . Gives your customer a bonus if you ever get famous LOL !!! All my very best Bill

Another great post Bill, followed by more superbly worded replies...I think you are some kind of poet (or maybe people don't talk honestly anymore) with your words and I hope that in 300 years or so people will be quoting you just like they did with some hairy bloke called Shakespeare (and I still don't know what he was talking about!)

Congrats ambassador Bill

PS Can i have your autograph :thumbsup:

Bill, all leather workers are cool in some regard, and I haven't had anyone here be rude or mean in the few months I've been here. The group of leather work as a whole has been far more interesting, intelligent and friendly than any other forum I have ever belonged to. I love it here and the sheer number of talented people is overwhelming.

The group of leather work as a whole has been far more interesting, intelligent and friendly than any other forum I have ever belonged to. I love it here and the sheer number of talented people is overwhelming.

Well said, Mike. I've belonged to a number of different forums with generally unpleasant and irritable folks. Thankfully, Leatherworker.net is a cut above with good, caring people who are generous with their advice and talents.

Well said, Mike. I've belonged to a number of different forums with generally unpleasant and irritable folks. Thankfully, Leatherworker.net is a cut above with good, caring people who are generous with their advice and talents.

You are absolutely right. I belong to a few horse forums....enough said:)