Hillbilly tim

Help Holding Onto Tools

Hello all, I have had surgery on both my hands several times over the last 20 yrs. I also have much less strength for holding onto small diameter stamping tools. The shanks can slip causing a mistake on the leather pattern I'm trying to create. I'm thinking if I were to increase the shank size of some of my smaller tools it might be easier to hold them. The only question is how. I've considered maybe rubber heat shrink tubing or a vinyl tube slid over it. Anyone else have an issue and how have you dealt with it? Any one have ideas?

thx, Bro Tim

Edited by Hillbilly tim

Hi Tim. I have similar problems with hand strength due to injuries sustained in Afghanastan. My hands go numb all the time and trying to hold on to the small tools seems to cause pain after a short while and I have had the tools slip while trying to work too.

I just try to take little breaks every 30 minutes to allow my nerve damage to not become inflammed and for me to "shake it out".

A friend of mine is going to try to put a removable "handle" with something I could tighten around the tool itself. Kind of like a motorcycle grip with a clip to hold the stamping tools so I can still manuever the angle of the tools while holding onto something bigger to help my problems. We will see what happens with that.

Good luck

Gabriel

You might try looking into Jett Sett Fixturing Compound. It is sold by most jeweler's supply companies. It's a ceramic/thermoplasic that softens in hot water and can be reused as needed. It can not only increase the diameter of the tool, you can also grip the tool when the Jett Sett is no longer hot, but is still moldable, to shape the tool to fit your grip exactly for comfortable, ergonomic grip (see picture at this link: http://www.contenti.com/products/stone-setting/510-620.html). I use it on my fine files when I'm working on metal--those darn little shafts are hard to hold on to.

You may also have some use out of a little device known as a "Thumb safe" made by Eurotool. It's mostly made for use with jeweler's stamps, but should work on leather stamps just as easily. A couple of people I know use it because it is easier for them to hold the Eurotool with their grip parallel to the work, rather than holding the stamp itself perpendicular to the work.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1B60FF9751&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-_-pla-_-Jewelry+%26+Beading-_-9SIA1B60FF9751

Gabriel, My nerve damage causes me to do the "Jazz Hands Dance" too. The pain is enough I have to psych myself up to work some because I know its gonna hurt for a long time but.... Id like to see that device if it materializes. Also, thank you for serving. My son in law was shipped back from AFG about 8-9 week ago for injuries sustained on a mission. Luckily he'll heal completely and be back at it in a year, he's on temp light duty until then.

WinterBear, Thats some interesting stuff. It's amazing to way it molds and reusable to boot! I think I may try that. Thanks for the idea.

Bro Tim

Yeah, Surgical tubing would be a better idea than the vinyl for sure! Thanks for the idea.

I sympathize. Last year I had emergency surgery on my left elbow and forearm after contracting flesh eating bacteria. They had to flay my arm open and cut out a great deal of the muscle there, which has definitely weakened that arm a great deal. Also left me with nerve damage in the last two fingers of that hand and my grip with that hand is a shadow of what it used to be.

It gets in the way when it comes to leather work but I've mostly been able to work around it. I really have a hell of a time trying to walk tools but everything else I manage okay.

If you think building up the shanks on your stamping tools will help I can make two suggestions, both from my familiarity with aquariums. The first, vinyl tubing, has already been mentioned.... you should be able to buy it in varying widths from any large aquarium supply outlet and can layer one size over another until you get the thickness you want.

The second is to use two-part marine epoxy, used all the time in reef aquariums for a variety of purposes. It's essentially sticky, moldable clay that you can build up and shape any way you want and it hardens to rigidness in a half hour or so. You could build custom grips to fit your hand on any of your tools and it will hold up pretty well over time. Won't be the prettiest option - your tool handles will look like they're wrapped in white or purple (depending on brand) clay, but it really will let you build up the handle exactly the way you want to.

Oh I had forgotten about the epoxy clay mixture. I've used it in the past for a few things. Hmmm... Memory must be getting weak as well.

Bro Tim

I looked into latex tubing for another project. I found out they make a thick wall tubing. When you order you will need to know the ID (inside dimension) and the OD (outside dimension. Here is a website that offers different sizes and different lengths.

http://www.latex-tubing.com/lrt10ro.html

Thanks.

Tim, tell your son in law thanks and to be safe. Glad he is ok and able to resume his duty.

I have some skethces at home about what I am talking about. I will try to post them up so you can see a rough of what I am talking about. I think it would work but sure it would take some getting use too lol.

also jett sett is used by physical therapists to help people rehab......great stuff

You can also try low temp plastic pellets. They can be melted with hot water and molded to any shape. They are available at craft stores and in Canada at Princess Auto. You might find them at Harbour Freight stateside. My problem was with my swivel knives cramping my hand, and I just wrapped a piece of 10 oz vegtan around it and stitched it up tight. Gump

WinterBear, Thats some interesting stuff. It's amazing to way it molds and reusable to boot! I think I may try that. Thanks for the idea.

Bro Tim

It is good stuff according to the jewelers I know. I'll be ordering myself a pound next month--I want to try it on the shaft of some skinny stamps I have that are hard for me to hold. And best of all, it's not permanent, so I can peel it off if I want to sell the tool.

Hi All

Anybody consider using bottle wine corks, they're cheap, available at the local supermarket. Just drill a hole of the proper size in the centre and push it on. A little glue may help. Cork is soft and will absorb vibration. Try it.

Leo.

I use silicone tubing. it is soft enough to stretch tightly over the shaft and tough enough to last forever. It is also heat resistant to about 750 degrees F. so if you tool really fast you don't have to worry about heat friction meltdown of your handle.

How much of an increase is needed? How about boring out some wood dowel to accept the shaft of the tool?

Well I hadnt thought of drilling out a portion of dowel either. It could alway be set with a drop of silicone or epoxy.

Bro Tim

Another possible solution, but probably not as good as those menioned above - there is a plastic solution commonly sold at builder's supply places (unfortunately, I can't remember the name) which is used to dip things like plier handles in to insulate them from electrical shock. the tool(s) could be dipped several times to build up to the desired thickness. It does dry fairly soft and very flexible. You might see it already installed on small tools at Home Depot, Lowes and the like. Most that I've seen is orange, but also see blue occasionally.

Hmmm... I like that idea too as it may absorb vibration from being struck as well. Good idea!

Bro Tim

A friend of mine who is a tattoo artist, gave me a few of the tattoo gun grips (knurled metal) and they have a set screw drilled into them. I can screw them on a lot of my stamping tools to provide a larger grip