piheart

Cardboard Sheets

Hi guys!

I bought a sewing maching few months ago, now start to make bag. wanna ask you guys where you usually get your cardboard to make pattern before you make bag? I searched online, most of them are very thin pattern paper or thick shipping cardboard.

I pasted a picture here.

:)

post-38443-0-41519600-1373924743_thumb.j

If you need larger sheets for bigger bag sides, I would go with Bontex. It's usually sold as bag stiffiner, but it works well for patterns. However, for smaller patterns, cereal boxes work very well. And those are basically free if you are buying cereal anyway. Old file folders are also good if you have a source for them.

Edited by Glendon

Thank you Glendon, yes, I saw bag stiffiner on springfield! I bought pattern paper in sewing store, too thin, think bontex is best to make pattern.

Sometimes I use the Priority mail envelopes from the USPS. Cut them down two sides and you have one big sheet and the best part is... They're FREE!

I go to my local feed store and take the cardboard off of the top of the pallets of feed. They're about 4' x 4', and make super patterns. A couple of those pieces will make a lot of patterns for sure.

Sometimes I use the Priority mail envelopes from the USPS. Cut them down two sides and you have one big sheet and the best part is... They're FREE!

Hope nobody from the post office reads this.

For smaller patterns that you use a lot, you can get a polyethylene pattern sheets at a lot of hobby stores. Your pattern can be laid on it and cut with leather shears, then the edges can be filed and sanded to a exact size and shape. -- Tex

Hope nobody from the post office reads this.

HAHA! Keep it a secret will ya? ;-)

I design my smaller items on the computer with Inkscape, print it out and glue to posterboard to cut. Works great for pieces that fit on computer paper (wallets, card holders, etc.) For larger items, I just draw the design on the posterboard. It holds up relatively well as long as I use my scratch awl to go around the pattern. If I try to cut around the pattern, I end up cutting into the posterboard, so using the scratch awl to transfer the design first is the best way I have found to make them last longer.

Cereal boxes are good - I also use beer cartons. Don't know what you have available but we can get a 30 can "block" of most of the common beers.

The card used is the same as a cereal box and when folded out and the ratty/glued bits trimmed gives you a sheet about a foot by two and a half.....

Take a look around your supermarket - it's a new way to go shopping!!! Find things you buy anyway, see if they come in a bulk pack(washing powder) made of the right board.......

Cheers!

Beer box is a lot more fun then anything else I use. If the beer boxes aren't big enough thats where the fun begins. BUY MORE BEER. Then duct tape the peices together. For cutting this stuff I recommend using the cheap utility knives with the break off blades. They are ususally faster and more accurate than a sizzors IMHO. I use this method a lot when making new patterns in the saddle shop.

When I have a pattern tha t I'm going to use often I use bathroom surround. When i cut this stuff i use my round knife.

For smaller patterns, I draw them out on paper, then laminate them and cut them out. A decent cheap laminator runs about $30 at Wal-mart, Target, or even Walgreens. I just randomly tried making some patterns from dollar-store cutting boards (the thin flexible plastic ones, in a 3-pack) for laying out the ends and holes on dog collars and belts. Works pretty good, sharpie wipes off easily enough with rubbing alcohol, and my punches go right through them without hurting the blades.

This is what I have started using. At you Local Larger Upholsetry Shops they sell Backer Boards for Chairs &Sofas, the price is very low for a 4'X4'.I believe I payed less than $4.00.

For smaller patterns, I draw them out on paper, then laminate them and cut them out. A decent cheap laminator runs about $30 at Wal-mart, Target, or even Walgreens. I just randomly tried making some patterns from dollar-store cutting boards (the thin flexible plastic ones, in a 3-pack) for laying out the ends and holes on dog collars and belts. Works pretty good, sharpie wipes off easily enough with rubbing alcohol, and my punches go right through them without hurting the blades.

Hello Sporq,

Laminating is a great idea. I use a laminator that will do sheets @ 10" wide by whatever length I have laminating pouches for but never thought of using it to make patterns. I usually cut mine from plastic sheets, if I intend to use more than once, or file folders for single use.

Probably could do the same with the self laminating sheets from office supply stores.

At times, we can be so close to a good idea that it slips past, unless we have the good fortune to find a site and folks as here, we may never discover a great process.

Thanks again.

God Bless.

Ray

I use matt board you can get in any art store of framing store .. or micheals...

I have the perfect cardboard to use. I own an upholstery shop and we use a product to make our patterns. It's called chipboard. Most shops buy it by the 100 count. They are usually 30" x 48" in size and about 2-3 times the thickness of cereal boxes. easy to cut and really cheap. Maybe .75 cents @. Give that a try. Sorry If you were closer I'd just give you a few.

Go to your local laminated flooring distributor(i.e. Lumber Liquidators,etc.). The pressed-paper top covers they put on laminates pallets are perfect thickness for long lasting templates.Thicker than posterboard, thinner than corrugated cardboard. Ask politely how they dispose of them. Odds are they'll give you all you need.

I use these sheets, buy them on eBay for $8.99 and they last forever,

Flexible Lightweight Translucent Polyethylene Plastic Stencil Sheet 24x24x1/25