So what are your time saving tips? I'm NOT talking about cutting corners here, just things that have made you much more efficient. The biggest for me have been when I started using a stitching pony rather than just holding the wallet in my hand, and using a clicker press and dies. What saves you time?

I have a wooden burnisher I got from Ed the Bearman that mounts in my drill press. It makes burnishing edges a breeze.

A 2 ton arbor press for stamping.

Cya!

Bob

I have a wooden burnisher I got from Ed the Bearman that mounts in my drill press. It makes burnishing edges a breeze.

I got mine from Pro-Edge (I didn't particularly care to wait 4-5 weeks for the "Bearman" one and it works as well as his from what I can tell from looking at others' pics.

I have a drill burnisher coming in the mail; i can't wait.

I would also like to add "dip dying." I just started doing this and when I'm dying say 5-10 wallets this is a huge time saver. My results are also more even and there's less waste. No brainer. Anyone else???

Rather than dip dying, I use a nylon paint brush and a plastic paint roller tray and saturate the item. I get a very even finish and I use a bit less dye than dipping. Any excess is poured back into the container. Clean up is a breeze.

Cya!

Bob

Measure twice and cut once. This has saved me so much time and frustration.

+1 for dip dyeing. I got a big 8 quart sald bowl with a good seal and just leave the dye in it. I would advise to dip in a location that doesn't matter when you tip the bucket over and splash dye everywhere, ask me how I know :-)

+1 for the power burnisher as well, I made my own but it works like a champ

Edited by J Hayes

I hand stitch so chucking my diamond awl in the drill press and using the press to pre punch my holes is a big time saver.

Drill press burnishers rock. I've got a pro edge.

Not necessarily saving time, but I finally started buying spools of thread from Tippmann and hand stitch with it. Using 346. It saves me some time by not having to buy a bunch of cards. And less waste too.

Sharp tools .. Sharp tools .. And Sharp tools.

I buy utility knife blades and hobby knife blades in bulk and replace them very frequently. They are dirt cheap and money well spent for efficiency and improved results.

That said, a LOT of time spent with stones and strop on new tools pays back every moment in a short order. Seconds spent with a strop every time a sharp tool is used will pay back your time in a big hurry too.

+1 for power burnishers too. I have one in a dremel with a drill-press base allowing me to use it mounted or free-hand as the situation calls for.

+1 for an arbor press as well. It's faster, with less waste from OOPSes, and gives a better result over all.

+1 for a stitching pony. They're great!

Bill

Edited by billybopp

Had neighbor lath a piece of hickory and I use it as a burnisher, mounted to a grinder motor.