leatheroo

steampunk mask

A friend asked me to make a "steampunk" mask for a party. He didnt give me much time, so it was a bit of a 'quicky'. Now the friend has taken ill and wont be attending the party. I didnt push him to buy it as he has enough on his plate at the moment. I am now left with this weird creation. I have listed it on fleabay and hope to at least get enough money to cover my cost. The eye bits open and the mouth cover can be unbuckled.

steampunk_gas_mask_by_leatheroo.jpg

post-4514-1224919473_thumb.jpg

Edited by leatheroo

Try posting in the larp section on ebay as there is a resurgence of steampunk larp at the moment! Great work as always.

That is AWESOME, I cant believe you wont get what you want for it on ebay as that is a really fine job!

What an amazing thing - I love the idea of steampunks!

A resurgence of the whole amazing steampunk culture is long overdue so don't worry about selling the mask Roo - I bet it goes like a rocket (a steam driven rocket of course!)

Really great work as usual, forgive my ignorance but " What in the heck is a steampunk and why is there a movement?" Looks like something from the mad maxx or waterworld movie set to me.

Very cool, Caroline! I've been messing around with the Steampunk genre myself a bit. How much are you going to ask for it? Here's one of my gas masks:

919_gas_angle.jpg

Steampunk is science fiction set in the 19th century. Think Jules Verne, when steam was king.

post-6001-1224947804_thumb.jpg

Edited by Banwell

That looks great. I would love to see more pictures and a bigger shot of it.

Where did you get the non leather parts?

Art

Man I went to ebay and looked up larp and steampunk. There is some neat stuff there!

Look at this leather horse mask! http://cgi.ebay.com/Leather-MASK-Hood-Hors...bayphotohosting

Art

60436221_o.jpg

post-195-1224951510_thumb.jpg

Really great work as usual, forgive my ignorance but " What in the heck is a steampunk and why is there a movement?" Looks like something from the mad maxx or waterworld movie set to me.

This is steampunk: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk

"Mad Max" and "Waterworld" are both dystopian future history, not steampunk. ;-)

Edited by tashabear

The link didn't work.

Art

That horse mask is once again from the artists at Bob Bassett. Art, I don't know if you were asking me or Leatheroo about the non leather parts, but mine are made of resin. I built the originals, then made a rubber mold and cast it in resin. One of the eyepieces is a camera lense, the other is from an old flashlight. The respirator piece is mostly scratch built from plastic.

That was me that asked. Cool.

Is it hard to do that? Do you buy the supplies at a craft shop?

Thanks,

Art

The link didn't work.

Art

It does now; I put in the wrong one at first.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk <--- correct link.

roo...that mask is baaaaaaaaaaaaad @sssssssssssssss!!!!

darryl

I got all my non leather parts from the hardware store...mostly in the plumbing section..tried to get mostly brass fittings but couldnt get anything for the eyes on short notice. The eyes are PVC (not very steampunk) i think they were drain covers. My friend wanted the mouth piece to open so i used brass hinges and buckles. It was a very steep learning curve and would probably do it a bit different if i have had more time.

Tom I love your mask, your eye pieces are exactly what i had in mind but didnt have the time to search for them.

Australian ebay no 320313569384. I have started the bidding at $99. the fittings cost about $40 plus leather and about 12 hours work.

punk3.jpg

punk2.jpg

punk.jpg

post-4514-1224968733_thumb.jpg

post-4514-1224968744_thumb.jpg

post-4514-1224968752_thumb.jpg

Why do I get "Mad Max" in my head looking at this?

Super Roo, I Love it :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Edited by Tina

I really liked Mad Maxx, but I'd have to say this isn't my favorite of your masks ( that one is hanging on my wall). Even so, I think you did a great job on it, lots of creativity and detail. I hope someone appreciates all you put into it and pays you well for it.

Wow, thanks for the close-ups. I love all your hardware! Very nice overall look!

now that's what I call art ! What an excellent job , you've done it again ! .

Cheers , Dave .

Kate you're right on the money...wild wild west was laced with steampunkery (if that's a real word)

Leatheroo your mask is fantastic...it being your first steampunk makes it even more impressive.

and Banewell you mask is just amazing!!! thanks for posting the info about using resin molding to make your parts...i never would have thought of that.

i love this site!! so many great people!!

ken

Beautiful masks Roo and Tom!

You two are never disappointing whatever you take on.

Keep it up!

Tom

Roo, I love steampunk and I love this. OMG what a great creation. Good luck with the sale as I'm sure you will do fine.

I'm looking to get started into Steam Punk creations. Does anyone have good sources for inspiration or theme ideas?

check out the work of tom banwell....his steam punk creations are great