Airth

Maker's Stamps...let's See Yours?

I've seen several posts and referrals for custom stamp-makers, but one question I've not come across in my Google-fu is exactly what should go on it, and how much can one reasonably expect to fit into that approximate square inch and still have it legible and recognizable. The few I've seen here and there have the maker's name and/or company, "maker", and city or state. Is there a secret standard I'm not aware of, or a formula which just seems to work?

If you're willing to share, I'd like to see your own maker's marks to get an idea of what works for everyone.

Thanks in advance!

Here's mine: as a pastor, and a leather worker, a guy named Dwight, who lives in Waldo, Ohio, . . . it tells all of that, . . . which is what I wanted.

May God bless,

Dwight

post-6728-0-38932300-1412945615_thumb.jp

Hello. Since I make them, I can tell you that the top and bottom curved lines look best in a bold font at around 9 to 10 point size.

That allows for at least 13 letters without it wrapping beyond the center. If it's longer than that it can still fit but you have to

reduce the font size. I wouldn't go below a 6 point font. there is usually plenty of size in the middle for text

and for a figure it is usually about .35 - .45". All this applies to the 1.25" long maker mark. If you need it smaller, the font gets smaller

so it is less visible. Hope this helps.

-Nick

I make alot of makers marks, and IMHO I think the two most important things are that 1) it is legible and 2) using the info on it, someone can Google the info and find you.

Some people want to include the entire text of War and Peace on their stamp........and it can be done.......however, if someone needs a magnifying glass to read it, then that isn't very effective. And until you develop your brand well enough such that everyone recognizes your mark (think Nike swoosh or Coach "C's"), then you better include enough info on it so that people can Google it to find you. For example, maybe "Airth" is enough since it is unique or maybe there is another Airth in London, so adding Colorado may be necessary.

Just my 2 cents.

oh, and to answer the original post, mine looks like this. It's suppose to represent a laser beam.

post-2828-0-98266000-1412950344_thumb.jp

Here are my three older ones that I have been using for many years. I recently made a new one.

post-6330-0-78512700-1412969008_thumb.jp

post-6330-0-09281700-1412969023_thumb.jp

I used my guitar logo

20121231_111612.jpg

20140603_171620_zpsexgmtg9x.jpg

GuitarStrap2f_zps2624db9b.jpg

VanFlowersStrap2B_zps1f916a03.jpg

Emily1_zps3434cc24.jpg

Mine is currently about 2" across. I want to have a smaller one made but I think I'd have to drop "leather" from the bottom as it would be too small to show up nicely.

post-8183-0-45478700-1412977935_thumb.jp

Thanks for the replies, everyone! It seems maker's marks are as varied as the people behind them :notworthy: Excellent pointers, EDC; thanks for your time and expert eye with this.

So the next question is one of material; it seems metal would be the first choice but likely the most expensive as well. What are your opinions of the different materials in getting one made...particularly the first one on a budget?

Thanks again!

Mine has some very small parts to it as is easily seen, . . . and is made of a plastic, . . . someone correct me if I goof this one, . . . I believe it is called Delrin, . . . ???

Anyway, . . . white tough plastic, . . . has held up well, . . . would recommend it to anyone.

May God bless,

Dwight

I'm getting a metal one so I can also use it to heat emboss it into chrome tan leather. Can't really do that with delrin. :)

Depends on what you do. Sizing to your average project is important. If you do a wide range of things you may end up wanting 2 different sizes. You can also consider not putting elaborate borders on the stamp you end up having made, instead opting to have a very plain border on the stamp and then adding the border that matches the project with different border stamps. Then you can size the finished result quite a bit with different choices.

Mine is at the left. It is in magnesium, as I wanted a mark that I could heat up.

Good luck and please show us what you end up with.

Thanks,

Michelle

I had this made in brass for $92 and probably $25 of that was for having it expedited. I think it was made in China from somebody's Etsy shop, I think it was "LW Leather Works." I had it in about a week and a half. I use an arbor press to stamp it in. The circle is 1" in diameter. I created the image in Photo Shop and sent it via email The ad said accurate up to half .5 mm but I think it is finer than that as the lines I sent seemed smaller.

gallery_53023_2281_1068091.jpg

Edited by Dan28

Beautiful marks and wise suggestions...thank you all! I'm actually working with someone from the forum to have one made, and will be sure to post it up once completed.

Keep them coming, especially the different ways everyone sets them. I've heard everything from presses to heat to smacking them squarely...do you have a preference, or is it different depending on the project?

Thanks again!

Mallet stamp, then things remain simple for years

I haven't tried to smack mine with a hammer/mallet, in fact I don't think I could do it cleanly that way. It is pretty easy with my one ton arbor press. I just have to position it within about 5 inches of an edge so I can fit the leather correctly. I actually use the press anytime I want a really deep indentation.

I just got mine a few weeks ago. I had a man in Prague make it from my own drawing. I didn't want the traditional stamp. He did a very nice job for $55 and that included shipping too. It is a mallet style and made from aluminum alloy.

post-21873-0-93824100-1413345752_thumb.j

Edited by capsterdog

Thanks for the replies, all! I really like how everyone's is unique, and that gave me some inspiration.

Now here's mine, delivered today from Steve of Embossing Die Company. My many thanks to his patience for helping me work through what would work and what wouldn't. Big props to you, Steve!

14968625504_1b52041d0c.jpg

Edited by Airth

Mine's just a small American Indian pictograph of a Bear paw.

IMG_20141018_115239_zps8beeae02.jpg

Simple and easy. Laser engraved into Delrin.

post-21759-0-41358800-1414124218_thumb.jpost-21759-0-92423400-1414124286_thumb.j