Chief31794

When Do You Stop Cutting Yourself?

I had an incident like this last week. My Leather Wranglers round knife was sitting on top of a box on my cutting table. I accidentally shifted the box and the knife started sliding off the box and onto the floor. I 'instinctively' reached out to try and stop it but fortunately my reflexes were slow and I only caught one corner of the knife as it fell. It cut my finger with a very shallow cut but I did manage to move my foot out of the way and the knife landed on carpeting, so the blade wasn't damaged.

Lessons Learned: Think about where you set your knife down when not in use and never try to catch a falling knife....

Wow does that bring back thoughts of a long recovery. I was whittling the end down on a ramrod for my muzzle loading shotgun. The knife I was using slipped from my hand and for some stupid reason I tried to catch it. The knife hit the bench on its rear and stopped point up, my hand stopped with the blade stuck all the way through my hand. Surgery took 4 1/2 hours, I have use of my hand but the last two fingers and palm are numb. That knife was really sharp, I'm pretty good at that, the surgeon was impressed he said if it wasn't so sharp the damage would have been harder to repair. The knife retails for around $11.00. It's the most expensive tool I now own. Surgery was just over $33,000.00.

I got into leather work so I could make a sheath for every knife I own. I don't set a knife on the bench without putting the sheath on it.

Ow, that makes me cringe all over hearing that story. Usually I'm more careful with the knife too when I put it down, but I clearly need to be MORE careful.

Everyone who works in a shop, or hell, a kitchen for that matter, needs a first aid course, and maybe an advanced one. When the SHTF, well we should have avoided that situation, so assume we did, and when the Manure Hits the Windmill (a more serious situation) make sure the patient is alive and breathing, if not, the hell with bleeding and get him/her breathing and heart going. Call 911 whenever you can. Get them safe (you have to temper this with the first part, if they are on fire, move them or put it out first). Stop the bleeding, put pressure on the wound and continue the pressure, you will be surprised how much this will work. If you can't get something to apply pressure against, just try, and if it doesn't stop, go for the tourniquet, belt, BP Cuff, rope and stick, if you have to, just go McGyver on it. Treat for shock as they're probably going to be in it by now.

If you encounter an open fracture (where bone is sticking out or might have come out and went back in) don't mess with it, if it is bleeding profusely go with a tourniquet away from the fracture. Remember, after you call 911, the fire department is only 10-15 minutes away unless you live in a major metro area. Sometimes you just have to transport them yourself.

What's this got to do with a cut in a leather shop? Whenever I see someone reverse cutting with a head knife (they say they can follow the line better) all the above kind of runs through my mind again.

That being said, and continuing, learn (from a Dr. or Vet) how to use Superglue and how to suture. There are veterinary school videos that are pretty good, there are some videos on youtube that are NOT (but there are some that are good).

At one time I collected head knives and used them for almost anything. I've CHANGED (my hope and change things work). I now use Utility knives (fixed blade and box cutter), Clicker knives, and Scalpels. By far scalpels the most. They are sharp, and if you cut yourself, you will bleed. They cut anything, but 2-4oz leather the best of any cutter. One of the problems I had with scalpels was going on the road with them. Even if you make a sheath for them, the blades fall out or come loose from the handles etc. So I found these:

post-18-0-42675600-1439851214_thumb.jpg

These have bigger blades than the No. 3 handles but the 22s will handle small work and the 60s and 70s handle big jobs..If you have to cut through an 11oz hide, the 115 will do it well, and can handle most any meat they serve at Outback.

This is a pic of my ultimate portable leather shop.

post-18-0-92333200-1439851089_thumb.jpg

Art

My great grandfather was a professional meat cutter / butcher for his whole life. That was in the days before they even used the metal mesh gloves much less the new kevlar ones. Each of his hands were essentially one big scar. He stopped cutting himself when he put his knives down for the last time after his second stroke- when he was in his late 70's.

He taught my grandfather & father, who then taught me, how to maintain razor sharp knives and how to minimize, but not eliminate cuts while working.

haha...my first big cut happened a few weeks ago with a head knife...I was more worried about not bleeding on the leather than the cut. Looked like a crime scene later :blink:

How's this fer slicing.

Operating a Campbell Randal needle and awl machine stitching at the speed of light and being somewhat new at the controls , Three stitches though thumb and nail before I could stop the beast. Quickly learned to feather the clutch controls

K

Leo

Not quickly enough me thinks uh huh.

Art

When I was just a pup I saw a guy run three stitches up his thumb with a Landis 16. It was a monday morning and he was still hung over. The thing looped every stitch. I still remember the howling. It continued while we got him loose, cut the stitches out and poured alcohol in the holes. We was me and 2 other guys. 1 to work and 2 to hold him down.

Gawd, kevlar gloves are in my near future! I've 'surprised' myself a couple of times with a head knife but not more than a nick. I always think "dang I'm getting better at sharpening a blade". My knives do not have a blade cover but after reading this thread, it's next on my project list. I shall force myself to use it everytime.

Doug C

Thankfully I have only taken part of my index nail off and a simply slice to the finger under the nail...the worse cut I have at the momment is on the side of my little finger from to much saddle stitching by hand..I tell my wife and she just says suck it up butter cup!!! No simpathy I tell you

As a lifelong carpenter/builder, cuts and punctures seemed to be a somewhat daily occurance. Clean rag or piece of t-shirt, electrical, duct, sealing or strapping tape works. Always carried a hand cleaner/sanitizer and some antibiotic ointment. Did have to go to the hand surgeon 3 or 4 times. One I went to the emergency room to have a nick about 3/16 x 3/16 by unknown deep from a table saw blade looked at. That was a mistake as It got infected, I believe, at the hospital. Nearly lost my left forefinger due to the infection. My hand surgeon was able to save it, although the first nuckle from the tip is now frozen stiff. Next time I think I need a doc, I'll go directly to the hand guy, not the ER. The nicks I get doing leatherwork are minor compared to the cuts from utility knives, saws, chisels, huge slivers, power screwdriver bits that slip off and into your hand or finger, sheet metal, glass, punctures from reinforcing wire, nails from nail guns, (a 3 1/2" nail shot through your hand doesn't feel too good). I can go on. After a while these things don't seem to hurt very much. Must be all that scar tissue doesn't have any nerves in it :lol::lol:

EJ

G'day,

Not even two weeks into my leather crafting journey over 11 years ago.

I had my fingers juuuuust a tad over the edge of the ruler, *cut the leather* and I take the skin of the very tips on 2 of my fingers right off. No blood thankfully .

The cut in the leather was nice and straight.........and so were the tips of my fingers :rofl:

That WAS close !!

I learnt REAL quick after that. :yes:

If anything, I just can't seem to stop piercing my fingers while hand stitching :dunno:

Perhaps I should go into body piercing too eh? " Hold still , this won't hurt a bit .....honest !? " :rofl:

HS

Things like that usually happen to me when I'm thinking about 10 min ahead of what I'm doing right then. I have to really stay in the moment. ...

Paul

I think that probably is the secret. Slow down! Focus! Be careful! I also tend to curl the fingertips of my left hand (the one not holding the knife) under the knuckles, out of the way. Imagining, before hand, the damage you would do if you screw-up might also help focus the mind. Have a regard, fear even, of the tools. Be careful whenever near/handling/sharpening/sheathing/unsheathing sharp edge tools - and try not to do such tasks while moving about, lest you trip/slip/faint/get hit by something/...

I'd also recommend keeping steri-strip/butterfly plasters in your first aid kit, which can stand-in for professional stitches in a pinch (stabbed my hand once - while in the sea at a remote beach, on a Sunday, far away from home or any town - didn't even know where the nearest hospital might be). If you are worried about major bleed outs, check out modern military wound dressings - e.g. Celox looks pretty useful.

Edited by Tannin

Last week, trimming a few rough edges with a scalpel. Small piece of leather with glue on it stuck to blade. Looked up to answer question from hubby as I swiped the scrap off the blade with my thumb.

Unfortunately, I forgot to turn the blade over first, and drew the scalpel blade edge the length of my right thumb.

Interesting experience, but the blood gave a very nice rich tone to the leather.

I got into leather work so I could make a sheath for every knife I own. I don't set a knife on the bench without putting the sheath on it.

I make little sheaths out of scrap for everything whenever i am uninspired. I have many little knives which are very sharp. Usually 40 minutes later i have a sheath and have thought of a way past my inspiration block. Hands on tools is the way past creative slumps. I can not leave an old beat up shoemakers knife in a thrift store ever. They all get sharpened properly and sheaths made.

As a lifelong carpenter/builder, cuts and punctures seemed to be a somewhat daily occurance. Clean rag or piece of t-shirt, electrical, duct, sealing or strapping tape works. Always carried a hand cleaner/sanitizer and some antibiotic ointment. Did have to go to the hand surgeon 3 or 4 times. One I went to the emergency room to have a nick about 3/16 x 3/16 by unknown deep from a table saw blade looked at. That was a mistake as It got infected, I believe, at the hospital. Nearly lost my left forefinger due to the infection. My hand surgeon was able to save it, although the first nuckle from the tip is now frozen stiff. Next time I think I need a doc, I'll go directly to the hand guy, not the ER. The nicks I get doing leatherwork are minor compared to the cuts from utility knives, saws, chisels, huge slivers, power screwdriver bits that slip off and into your hand or finger, sheet metal, glass, punctures from reinforcing wire, nails from nail guns, (a 3 1/2" nail shot through your hand doesn't feel too good). I can go on. After a while these things don't seem to hurt very much. Must be all that scar tissue doesn't have any nerves in it :lol::lol:

EJ

I have had all the tendons on the back of my right hand re-attatched after a mishap with a 10 inch masonary blade on a 1/2 horse angle grinder. It was probably 25 lbs. I was cutting post holes in concrete for giant gates we built at the aluminum/stainless fab shop i worked at in the past. The grinder kicked cause i got a little distracted for a moment. I was holding it correctly, and it had a guard on it. It kicked towards the ground, away from me, and out of my hands. It then bounced of the ground, flipped in the air and just kissed the back of my hand on the way by........blade still spinning from momentum. Many hours of hand therapy and surgery later and i have no side effects other that i get dropsy with my right hand when i am tired..... and i have developed a twitch in my middle finger when i encounter jerks...

Been working leather since 1968. Still cutting me. Don't mind that so much as stabbing my self with a sewing awl or such. Well, my name is SCARbrough.

Ok guys, all this is but a scratch compared to the havoc one can reek with power tools; not to mention real limb removing machinery.

Art

Ok guys, all this is but a scratch compared to the havoc one can reek with power tools; not to mention real limb removing machinery.

Art

Very correct. Once made a good but unsuccessful try at cutting my thumb off with a circular saw.

It only takes a moment of hurry or just boredom from repetition for stupidity to rear it's ugly head. Like, I don't need to clamp this stainless steel strap down to the drill press table to just drill a 1/4" hole in what ultimately turned into a lawnmower blade. Ever wanted to reach in and save something on the mill when the manure hit the windmill? You'll only do it or see it once to get the message; latter always better.

Art

Hi Chief,

Go to a Vet or ER Doctor and have them show you how to use superglue. I bought one of the Leather Wranglers knives when they first came out and it had a little sharpened back edge on it for pull cutting. I never got used to that sharpened edge and used to nick myself till I finally blunted it. Cut myself so many times over the years that I have generally learned what NOT to do. Still happens though, usually at a leather or knife show where everyone can see it.

Art

Ditto on the super glue. An old school mechanic showed me that one years ago. Stupid Al Stohlman skiving knives don't have the auto brakes that Honda puts on their cars. Come on guys, I know we can figure this one out. lol.

A pretty cool trick for a bad finger cut is to wrap the finger in string or thread several wraps over the wound tight enough to close the wound, then crazy glue the strings to the skin on either side of the wound for 1/2 inch or so. Then cut off the excess. Voila, superglue sutures. This trick can be done with 1 hand.....

The correct answer is Tuesday. We should all stop cutting ourselves on Tuesday ;)

A pretty cool trick for a bad finger cut is .......

This trick can be done with 1 hand.....

And you know this how? :-)

Cheers!

It only takes a moment of hurry or just boredom from repetition for stupidity to rear it's ugly head. Like, I don't need to clamp this stainless steel strap down to the drill press table to just drill a 1/4" hole in what ultimately turned into a lawnmower blade. Ever wanted to reach in and save something on the mill when the manure hit the windmill? You'll only do it or see it once to get the message; latter always better.

Art

Art,

I have the scar on my ring finger after trying to catch a saw blade (turned lawnmower), while trying to make a round knife! Didn't think it necessary to clamp the blade down while drilling the hole. There's no cure for stupidity!!

It's now almost a year later and I still haven't finished the project....but will get around to it soon.