JLSleather

Holster Patterns

Oh, and by "basic version" I mean this :

shd.jpg

I was fixinta upload another holster pattern er two afore the lights go out around here (moving truck here in the morning).  But...not sure my wife is on board with that :whistle:

Wait.. ya know--- she ainta bossa me!  XDs pattern uploaded shortly ;)

Okay, there ya go! 

Edited by JLSleather

37 minutes ago, PeashooterJoe said:

Thanks for the Patterns. PeashooterJoe

Welcome -- thanks for puttin' em ta use!

Well, here's my first attempt at a pancake holster from one of JLS' patterns. A lot of learnin' went into this one! If I do another with the reinforcement, I'll skive it down or use thinner leather. And, I won't forget to edge finish the reinforcement panel before I stitch it to the front. And I'll use thinner thread. And I'll use better leather. And I'll clean the leather before I stain it. And I'll move the slot stitching out a bit more, as my plan is to use a thick gunbelt I'm just finishing up right now, and the slots could be a it wider. And I won't pull out a lot of the antiqueing with the first coat of finish on the reinforcement. 

But, hey! The pattern worked just fine! Thanks!!!

Jeff

19111Holster.JPG

6 hours ago, alpha2 said:

Well, here's my first attempt at a pancake holster from one of JLS' patterns. A lot of learnin' went into this one! If I do another with the reinforcement, I'll skive it down or use thinner leather. And, I won't forget to edge finish the reinforcement panel before I stitch it to the front. And I'll use thinner thread. And I'll use better leather. And I'll clean the leather before I stain it. And I'll move the slot stitching out a bit more, as my plan is to use a thick gunbelt I'm just finishing up right now, and the slots could be a it wider. And I won't pull out a lot of the antiqueing with the first coat of finish on the reinforcement. 

Jeff

19111Holster.JPG

Well, is there anything you like about it??? Lol

I think it was a great attempt.

I know. I'm awfully hard on myself. Or so says my trophy wife! It's just that my last holster was so much better, I feel like I'm backsliding bigtime.

But like I said, I learned a lot! So it was a roaring success.

Well, I don't think it's 'so bad'.  I'm not a fan of basket weave (i think it's way over done) but the color works.  

When I posted those patterns, I wanted them to be useable as-is -- but i never intended for everybody to make them 'just like that'.  Idea is, a new guy can make that holster and gain some experience.  And the next guy can use that design as a starting point to make his own design.

Just FYI -- a 1/4" thick belt works in a 1/4" wide slot just fine ;)

How does the end look?  In the pic, it looks like the pistol could have seated a bit deeper (to teh stitch line under it).. maybe the stagger in the stitch line was just a tad early?

I butchered up your Shield pattern Jeff.lol People seem to like the way it wears and carries. I know I do.

received_10203114290253447.jpeg

received_10203114291053467.jpeg

17 hours ago, alpha2 said:

Jeff

19111Holster.JPG

Better than my first go. I don't like stitching around the slots. Personal preference. If you punch at 1.5 slot and edge and burnish a 1.5 gun belt fits just fine. Good hand stitching is done by doing it a lot marking stitching line and stitching holes marked.

Well, long as we're commenting (crap, I aint gonna git nuthin done taday ;) )...

16 minutes ago, Mattsbagger said:

I butchered up your Shield pattern Jeff.lol People seem to like the way it wears and carries. I know I do.

matt.jpg

I don't call that butchered.. I'd call that 'amended' -- looks good!

17 hours ago, alpha2 said:

A lot of learnin' went into this one! If I do another with the reinforcement, I'll skive it down or use thinner leather. 

I'm actually not a fan of a "reinforcement panel" on teh front of a 50/50 pancake (it's not doing nearly as much "reinforcing" as people say, unless it wraps around).

1911a.jpgStill, a guy could do some basket stamp without the panel.  This one is stitched at the top and bottom because it's lined (with natural goat).

The stamp is used INSTEAD OF teh panel.

18 hours ago, alpha2 said:

Jeff

19111Holster.JPG

I think it looks fine. Most especially for a first attempt but having those known working patterns sure help to get you a good looking working product!! I wish there was a thread like this when I started!!

The thread doesn't seem to heavy aesthetically to me. Was it just difficult to work with? What size was it? I like Jeff's slot reinforcement technique and while I sometimes mess with the shape of it I think it is engineered well and works and is more pleasing to the eye. I would go back to that and leave off the stitching around the belt slots. All your other stitching looks good though.

While I agree the Reenforcement panel does little to reinforce what it does do nicely is hold a stamp. I have found that since it is an extra piece that isnt as affected as the body when wetmolding that the stamps in the reinforcement hold up deeper than when done on the body. I do it both ways depending on my mood but either your leather wasnt cased well when you did the baskeweave or you didnt hit that tool hard enough. Give it a good WHACK on well cased leather and the basketweave will stand out more. Nice job .. imagine what your 10th one will look like!!

Thanks for the tips, guys!

The thread was the first braided cord I've used. It was a bear with the awl I had available. A lot of plier usage on the thick leather. I imagine a larger awl and needle would have helped a lot.

Edited by alpha2

Swing anna miss.. not quite what I was aiming for.  Still, it'sa 8 outta 10, so just a couple tweaks to go ..

Used this W/C skirting, since for some reason it isn't 'hardening' like W/C normally would --- so putting it to use here!

p320a1.jpg

that there one a full size p320?

It almost was :o

Swing anna miss.. not quite what I was aiming for.  Still, it'sa 8 outta 10, so just a couple tweaks to go .

Just wanted to say thanks for making these patterns and instructions available.  I just finished my first attempt at a holster (1911 Avenger style) and while it doesn't hold a candle to the items you guys are putting out I'm actually pretty happy with it given my total lack of experience. :)  I tried to attach a pic but can't get the file size right, so if you want a laugh at how a total newbie does things here's the whole process that I went though to make it (including final product pic):

Would certainly welcome any feedback/advice/critiques - I learned a ton on this first go round but obviously still have a long way to go!

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge!

14 hours ago, OmnipotentOtter said:

Just wanted to say thanks for making these patterns and instructions available.  I just finished my first attempt at a holster (1911 Avenger style) and while it doesn't hold a candle to the items you guys are putting out I'm actually pretty happy with it given my total lack of experience. :)  I tried to attach a pic but can't get the file size right, so if you want a laugh at how a total newbie does things here's the whole process that I went though to make it (including final product pic):

Would certainly welcome any feedback/advice/critiques - I learned a ton on this first go round but obviously still have a long way to go!

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge!

Looks good for a first go. I started out using Edge Kote but changed to dying my edges. Practice your stitching and edging on the small wallets that Jeff has on his site with his holsters. They use minimum amount of leather and help nail down the techniques.  He also is a font of information and advise. Keep on keeping on. Ta. Matt.

If you're using contrasting thread, it's easier to dye the part under the belt loop before sewing on the panel.  And you'll likely find it faster and easier to pick up some type of punch for the slot rather than drilling. Some use an oblong punch, some use a round punch for each end and a knife of some sort between.

Thanks for the feedback and advice guys!  This was my first go with Edge Kote and think it did a decent job of at least imparting some consistency in the color for the edges.  

I do have a set of punches that I can next time, they are "pin punches" but likely will work for this.  I didn't use them on this project because I was lazy - they were buried in the garage.  But I've dug them out now and should be able to just use a couple of 2x4s to support the leather but not the impending hole.  I was also a little worried about whether the punches would tear the leather or somehow mar it - but in reality using the standard drill bits really did that more than a punch will (I think).

The dye job is another "opportunity for improvement" next time - it definitely would have been better to dye all of it before stitching on the reinforcement panel - but that's assuming I would have thought that far in advance. :)

This has (and continues to be) a learning experience!

Pin punches are great for replacing shear pins, but not so good on leather ;)

You'll want a set of hollow HOLE punches.. much better for leather.  I'm not recommending any particular brand, but this one will show you the idea.  Something in about a size 6 or 7 should be fine.

https://www.tandyleather.com/en/product/craftool-round-drive-punches

2 hours ago, OmnipotentOtter said:

Thanks for the feedback and advice guys!  This was my first go with Edge Kote and think it did a decent job of at least imparting some consistency in the color for the edges.  

I do have a set of punches that I can next time, they are "pin punches" but likely will work for this.  I didn't use them on this project because I was lazy - they were buried in the garage.  But I've dug them out now and should be able to just use a couple of 2x4s to support the leather but not the impending hole.  I was also a little worried about whether the punches would tear the leather or somehow mar it - but in reality using the standard drill bits really did that more than a punch will (I think).

The dye job is another "opportunity for improvement" next time - it definitely would have been better to dye all of it before stitching on the reinforcement panel - but that's assuming I would have thought that far in advance. :)

This has (and continues to be) a learning experience!

The reason I quit use in Edge Kote is it can scratch off. YMMV. You can get hole punches and wood chisels at Harbor Freight to do belt slots also.

Edited by Mattsbagger

On 3/15/2017 at 2:33 PM, JLSleather said:

Pin punches are great for replacing shear pins, but not so good on leather ;)

You'll want a set of hollow HOLE punches.. much better for leather.  I'm not recommending any particular brand, but this one will show you the idea.  Something in about a size 6 or 7 should be fine.

https://www.tandyleather.com/en/product/craftool-round-drive-punches

The learning continues. :)  Thanks for correcting me on that before I ruined holster #2; I'll make sure I get the right tool for the job.  

I really do appreciate everyone's willingness to help a newbie like me out - this is really a fantastic community and I'm very glad I found it!

Some of what I have been doing.  Learning a bunch along the way.  

I know some of this stuff is not a pretty as I would like, but I have only been doing this for a short while.

This is the colt auto pattern

Img_3731.jpg

Img_3732.jpg

I made this pattern off another and kind of bent it a bit, this is the first of and I think it came out ok.

Img_3737.jpg

Img_3739.jpg

Still learning about the sewing machine and what it will and won't do and figuring workarounds.

This came out alright except for the one dropped stitch

Img_3752.jpg

Img_3754.jpg

When wet molding it that reinforcement panel is a bugger to bend.  I am working on those molding skills.

Img_3753.jpg

I got a wild hair on this one and wondered what would happen IF.  SO I wet rolled the upper edge and formed it around the gun.

Img_3750.jpg

No great works of art here yet, but they are coming.  Many thanks to JLS for the  patterns and the inspiration.

Edited by longun45
Photos and comments

Looks like some good practice ta me -- and the shield looks good!