Yeldarb

Clicker Press Alternative

I am looking for an alternative to the tippman clicker press. I have a few die cuts and am looking for a more economical option to start with before I graduate later to a tippman. I have searched around for a thread on this but can't find one. If someone can point in the right direction, it would be appreciated.

I am perfectly fine with a manual option. Just wanted help figuring out the setup.

Thanks,

Brad

I use a bookpress. Over the years I've acquired three of them. Paid around $100-$230 for them. Use for both clicking and impressing (embossing) patterns in leather with letterpress lead type.

Bob Stelmack

Lots of options and information here. Do a search for "clicker" or "shop press" or "hydraulic jack". Even some plans and photos for adapting a shop press.

Tom

A lot of folks on here use the hydraulic shop press like this one from Texas Custom Dies.

Theirs is a fine press if a little pricey. You could have one of these for about the same price.

Of course, a lot of them get the Harbor Freight version, which with a little modification will do a fine job.

The bottle jacks are a little slow, but they can be converted to air drive versions.

Art

Thanks for the help, this helped me out a bunch. I am going to do the harbor freight 20 ton, pick it up tomorrow. Will post some pictures when I am done.

I use a bookpress. Over the years I've acquired three of them. Paid around $100-$230 for them. Use for both clicking and impressing (embossing) patterns in leather with letterpress lead type.

Bob Stelmack

I've wondered if they would hold up to the pressure of clicking. What do you click with them? Would they work well for holsters/wallets/checkbooks and such?

I've wondered if they (book presses) would hold up to the pressure of clicking. What do you click with them? Would they work well for holsters/wallets/checkbooks and such?

This is what I click with my bookpress:

Wallets, business cards, lifts for shoes, coasters, and Mystery Braid Bracelets along with various circles from 1-1/2" to 4".

post-82-0-98777700-1436807682_thumb.jpg

Just to test, I located the thickest, toughest leather in the shop (10 oz. dry old pig skin) and used the bookpress to click a wallet back. It was not clicked in one step. I first put the wallet back side in the press and pressed, then the center of the wallet back, then the side, and finally the center again and heard the "click". It clicks up to 6/7 oz. in one press. The press plate is 10" x 15". As with any press, the more intricate and larger the clicker die the more pressure is needed. I used some physics math and calculated (based on screw thread and radius if the handles) the pressure exerted to be approximately 5-7 tonnes based and my strength. I confirmed it the last time I was at the Sheridan Leather Show, when I took a sample and used the smallest Weaver manual clicker (5 ton) at the Weaver booth, and it performed just like my bookpress.

post-82-0-54546700-1436807952_thumb.jpg

Most of the time I use the press to emboss (imprint) leather with old letterpress lead type to place text on leather. You can see a business card in the back ground for an example.

post-82-0-21214800-1436807978_thumb.jpg

Hope this helps.

Oh, by the way, I have been using that particular bookpress for 14 years...

Bob Stelmack

Edited by stelmackr

Hope this helps.

Oh, by the way, I have been using that particular bookpress for 14 years...

Bob Stelmack

Sure does - I'll keep an eye out for one at auctions and flea markets! If all else fails my soon to be brother in law is a full-time welder. i'm sure he could whip something up that would work just as well.

Yeldarb I'm ordering this one this month http://www.texascustomdies.com/Products/manual_12_ton_shop_press_clicker_large.jpg because I can't afford a Tippman or one like it. I want money left over for dies :) I'm getting the smaller one so I don't also have to buy a compressor and it's $600.00 shipped. I will put a thread on here how it works after it gets here. Cheryl

post-6575-0-84896700-1437965012_thumb.jp

The Weaver 4 ton has worked very well for me. $995.00 and free shipping a couple times a year. Ask them for a "code" for the shipping. Or, buy it when at a leather show, same deal, free shipping!!

Edited by rickybobby