Thanks Rick for the nice comments. To answer your question, I don't consider myself an artist. All my carvings are tracings from other work that I put together to make stuff like you seen on this holster. Most of my carvings are copies of Al Stohlman's works or parts of them put together. You need to get some of Al's books and study his methods. If you do you will be able to develop some good carving skills.

Thanks Rick for the nice comments. To answer your question, I don't consider myself an artist. All my carvings are tracings from other work that I put together to make stuff like you seen on this holster. Most of my carvings are copies of Al Stohlman's works or parts of them put together. You need to get some of Al's books and study his methods. If you do you will be able to develop some good carving skills.

Thanks for taking time to answer. I do have three of Stohlman's books but they cover basic skills which i still need a lot more work on.

Thanks again for the reply, gives me some hope that some day I can make something I am proud enough of to post pictures of. :cowboy:

rick

It's been said before (multiple times) - the lacing is superb! I wish I had the patience to sit down and do it. When things slow down i'll give it another chance :)

Nice work on the holster =) One thing I would change (if anything needed to be changed) is the position of the artwork in relationship to the straps. Your fine artwork is being covered by untooled straps with snaps. One thing I like to do with my work, is lay all the pieces out and try to design my artowrk around where the straps will lay, if the artwork is too large to work around the straps I will continue the artwork into the strap. That way if the strap has to go across my artwork, then the artwork isnt covered. Here is an example of what I was speaking of... When this purse is closed it covers some of the artwork tooled into the bottom, so as I have the pieces all cut out, I simply laid the cover down and continued the artwork on it.... that way no matter if its open or closed no artwork is covered.

Awesome job on the holster!

Purse Tooling

DonorLeather,

Very good point. I have carved another holster with the wild rose and I am making it different in that there is no strap that holds the belt loop, instead I am sewing the belt loop on to the back. I'll be finishing and posting it probably next week.

Thanks so much for the tips and the picture. I appreciate it. I can use all the help I can get.