This is my latest bag. It's been about a year in the making as I had to put it aside for client orders. Finally took the time to finish the handles and put it all together.

Fully turned briefcase with English suit wool accents. Entirely hand stitched as always.

I made the handles out of solid brass and wrapped them with leather for comfort. One exterior pocket on the gusset for pens and such and one on the body for a phone or a pair of gloves.

I had thought about building it with piping, but I'm glad I didn't on this one. I like that it's clean and understated.

Comments and critiques welcome.

post-48860-0-06200700-1452745301_thumb.j

post-48860-0-30933200-1452745304_thumb.j

post-48860-0-40544900-1452745306_thumb.j

post-48860-0-43883800-1452745308_thumb.j

post-48860-0-13930100-1452745310_thumb.j

post-48860-0-48076200-1452745312_thumb.j

post-48860-0-22369100-1452745314_thumb.j

post-48860-0-85440200-1452745315_thumb.j

post-48860-0-16089300-1452745318_thumb.j

Are you sure you aren't a machine? That stitching looks like it was done by one! That is great work! I'm not a big fan of the plaid wool straps, but the rest of it definitely makes that disappear for me. Stunned.... wow!

You did it once again Kai. Very nice!

Thanks Thor. Just trying to broaden the portfolio.

Are you sure you aren't a machine? That stitching looks like it was done by one! That is great work! I'm not a big fan of the plaid wool straps, but the rest of it definitely makes that disappear for me. Stunned.... wow!

Thanks Chief. Some days I feel like a machine.....

Really nice job, Kai. I'm with chief - I'd be wary of putting fabric that can pill or stain on the outside of a bag, but I'm pretty sure someone will think it is totally awesome. Great job, it looks pretty perfect, to me. Is the zipper-pull leather, or something else? Not stitched?

Fantastic work!! Personally I would have trimmed the leather on the handles much closer to the stitching but that's just me.

Nicely Done !

The metalwork on the handles is pretty nice too. Did you make those yourself?

Really nice job, Kai. I'm with chief - I'd be wary of putting fabric that can pill or stain on the outside of a bag, but I'm pretty sure someone will think it is totally awesome. Great job, it looks pretty perfect, to me. Is the zipper-pull leather, or something else? Not stitched?

Thanks Monica. The zipper pull is leather.....I couldn't' decide whether or not to stitch it, and if I'm honest it still nags at me every time I look at it. I'll likely stitch it up in the next few weeks one I get a few spare moments.

Fantastic work!! Personally I would have trimmed the leather on the handles much closer to the stitching but that's just me.

Thanks Craftsman. I was looking for some consistency in the stitch distance so I matched that remaining leather on the handle with that of the straps and pockets. Time will tell if it holds up to regular use.

Nicely Done !

Thanks!

Gorgeous. What type of leather?

Venator, I wish I knew. It was the only piece at my local shop and it was the colour that really got me. Great weight and wonderful quality for a turned bag. I managed to get three nice cases out of the side, but I'll likely never come across another piece again. That's the wonderful thing about leather sometimes, the individuality of a piece, the marks and scars and colour. Once it's gone, it's gone!

The metalwork on the handles is pretty nice too. Did you make those yourself?

I do all of the brass and wood work myself, including the handles and buckles.

post-48860-0-77162200-1453189113_thumb.j

post-48860-0-47910400-1453189103_thumb.jpost-48860-0-73355600-1453189112_thumb.jpost-48860-0-05000800-1453189189_thumb.j

Edited by 5 Spice

Seeing such masterful work like this from you and others on this site is a reality check for me. It shows me how far away from it I am.

About the hardware. What are you using to attach the brass and wood together with?

I am mainly a woodworker so using wood and brass really interests me.

Does brass work as easily as aluminum?

Thanks

Jim

Seeing such masterful work like this from you and others on this site is a reality check for me. It shows me how far away from it I am.

About the hardware. What are you using to attach the brass and wood together with?

I am mainly a woodworker so using wood and brass really interests me.

Does brass work as easily as aluminum?

Thanks

Jim

I went through a lot of trial and error trying to marry woods with brass and aluminum. I find that brass is just as easy to work as aluminum and can use my wood working tools on it and treat it just like a hardwood. The only issue I have is during the working phase. Some of the sanding and polishing process creates a lot of heat. Since aluminum conducts heat so well, the bond has failed on me a few times.

I've found that CA (Cyanoacrylate) is the best adhesive for the job. I've been using hot stuff's Super "T" medium viscosity glue with the most success. It's like a thin syrup, fills the pores in the wood well and it thick enough to fill a small gap. It also holds up to the heat of polishing quite well. Just make sure you scuff your metal surface and clean your wood surface with some acetone before bonding.

post-48860-0-66953200-1453485087_thumb.j

For most of the handles and buckles I make the adhesive is enough to hold everything together, but I will add a mechanical fastener when needed like the handle of this edge creaser.

post-48860-0-70831600-1453485122_thumb.j

Thanks for the tip on the glue. I never would have considered the heat issue.

One more thing, I know I can cut the metal with carbide saw blades but can you profile it with routers?

Thanks again.

You can profile soft metal with a wood router bit, you just have to work slowly and remove very little material with each pass. Use them just like you would an end mill; make a pass and drop the bit 1/32 and make another pass, etc, etc. It would be best if you could get some cutting oil onto the surface, but it's going to make a mess so wear an apron and a face shield.

Thanks again!

That's awesome!