Uwe

Video: Binding Operation On A Durkopp Adler 205-370

I finally got around to making a little sewing demo video for doing binding operations on a Durkopp Adler 205-370 using the Kwok Hing binder kit.

I'm not an expert in binding operations, just in case you're wondering why I didn't show how to do corners and tight turns - I haven't figure it out yet!

I also had ordered some 2 inch wide seat belt stock and regular nylon strap material, hoping to use it for the binding demo, but it really turned out to be too thick to feed through the folder.

Still, this is likely one step up from what the usual suspects for binding operations like Pfaff 335 and Adler 69 machines can handle:

Excellent video, as usual Uwe - but your machines are just far too clean! It's not natural!

Sewing machine dealers should hire you for producing proper Videos - once again very well done!!!

What binder attachment are you using are they from Knowhing (or so)?

nicely done Uwe! the music and clicking sounds...almost therapeutic

Thanks guys. My machines are unnaturally clean because I spend way more time oiling and cleaning them than actually sewing with them. I'm working on that.

I'm using the KHF-205 binder setup made by Kwok Hing in the videos. Overall a nicely engineered and manufactured set of parts, with two small flaws (I had to file the feed dog a tiny bit to make it fit the feed dog holder and the three-fingered tape guide touches the arm at full stitch length).

Uwe,

You will have problems bind around corners with seat belt webbing because it is not able to stretch around corners. To do that, you must have a bias material that will stretch. Even though your binder seems to be a symmetrical feed ( in that the binder walks with the feed dog), if the binding material will not stretch, you will not be able to do corners very well. Trust me on that. Straight lines, no problems.

glenn

I second what Glenn said. I've made a career out of trying to get binding to lay correctly around thumbs and fingers of hockey gloves. Without stretch it will be a tough go.

Perfect timing for your video! I tried binding two straps manually and it was a nightmare. I have a Sailrite machine and just found out I can buy a binder fixture for it. Should make my life much easier.

Thanks,

John Muir

Perfect timing for your video! I tried binding a strap manually and it was a nightmare. I have a Sailrite machine and just found out I can buy a binder fixture for it. Should make my life much easier.

Thanks,

John Muir

Edited by jmuir

Beautifully edited and composed video Uwe, just brilliant! (as always) Additionally you've answered a question as to why a sewing spider is so important for those first few stitches when binding. In garment weight fabric we can usually cheat a bit but thickness like this... they are imperative.