If you can make them work well for you, then use them. Personally, I have always used Fiebing's and have never had a reason to change. That doesn't mean that companies don't occasionally change formulations and muck things up. Glues were crazy there for a while, and I changed. Fiebing's spirit and oil dyes just keep on keepin' on.

If it ain't broke, I don't fix it.

Art

That's how I feel! I like their Eco-flo line. Is it the most professional, best brand out there? No, but I love the colors and I've done some pretty neat (in my opinion) things with them!

I have been wanting to try spirit dyes, though. Problem is, I can't find them anywhere. Who do you buy from?

Springfield Leather

Sheridan Leather Outfitters

Check out our advertisers at the top of each page, Weaver Leather, OTB, many others.

Art

Do fiebings oil dyes and spirit dyes have the same effect as Eco-flo stains? I'm sure you're aware, but just in case: ecoflo dyes cover tooling in one color, whereas the stain highlights (I believe they call it a hi-lite stain) the tooling, pooling into the deeper marks and wiping off the untooled areas.

The outcome of the finish is totally based on what product you use and what resisting technique, if any that you use. If you want something colored in full coverage then you use a dye, if you want something to have more of a highlight effect then you would use either a highlight stain formulation or even an Antique finish. The outcome is controlled by you, not necessarily the product. I have used Fiebing's since I was 8 years old (and it has been a long time) and have found no reason to switch to anything else. I have experimented with some other formula's and found that they just weren't as flexible as the overall Fiebing's brand of products. I buy direct from Fiebing's, as a wholesaler.

since I've never used Sheridan leather because I lived in Sheridan for 5 years and they had the show in the spring the company never existed . till when ever. I and everyone used Montana leather out of billings Montana . I think you will be pleasantly surprised with their service and their prices. they even deliver if your with in so many miles. after joe retired john picked it up for them. I've used them for nearly 35 years now. when I lived in Montana, Wyoming, south Dakota, and now iowa. they cater to the shoe and boot trade and the saddle makers and everyone inbetween. they are also tied in with McPherson out of seattle i think they are brothers , I even changed our supplier from southern to Montana leather when I got at the last job I had before I retired /

I use Fiebings spirit dyes, oil dyes, and eco-flo pro dyes. Eco flo colors seem to be a little more vibrant than fiebings, which is useful in some situations. Fiebings dark colors (browns & blacks mostly) work much better for the way that I use them, and mostly all that I use for large area coverage. I've never used Angelus, or other dyes ... but I'm sure they have their advantages in some applications too.

Bill

I am liking angelus a tad better than fiebings but I am not sure why. They both work good but have some diff colors. I use pro eco flow on stuff That wont be getting rained on other than taking it out of a purse in the rain right quick. (Clutches and such) I use angelus acrylics on things that take little beating or wear. Its a really excellent acrylic though and I trust it could take a beating. I have used white on wallets and it still seem to be holding up. Eco flow antique is awesome however it does not have that waxyness that feibings has and will give anything blocked a yellowish orange tint.

I love the Eco-flow water stains. Very easy to control you color concentration and I get now rub off.