Boriqua

Opinions Wanted On 1911 Western Holster

I am making a 1911 western style rig. I dont have a buyer but I wanted to make one because I had the itch so I will just put it up on my etsy page. I am using a sam browne button because it feels right but I am stuck on one part

I dont get a lot of call for retention straps or thumb breaks but when I do I always build them for a 1911 that would be carried cocked and locked.

I have only made one other western style rig for a 1911 and the person who asked for it wanted the retention strap for hammer down. Since the one I am making is more show than go I am torn between making it for hammer back or hammer forward. It changes the length for the retaining strap but I cant figure out how to neatly make it adjustable for either.

So what say you .. since its not a holster meant for high speed operators doing tactical rolls should I make the retention strap for hammer down or cocked and locked?

Think studs and conchos .. Still the gun is worthless if the hammer isnt back .. :dunno:

Well that is why I am looking for opinions! :)

A bunch of people carry in Condition 3. You will find some very experienced 1911 shooters who say it is a nano second slower that Condition 1. These shooters discount a bad arm and a one handed cycle of the mechanism.

I would vote for Condition 1. Carried a 1911 for 40 years.

Not sure what you're calling a "western rig", but many of the holsters I've made for 5" 1911's were tooled and featured a safety strap (usually a thumb break style) for going OVER the hammer (down). These people were using the holster for decoration, basically, while at the range - and assuming that speed was not the issue. They wanted firmly held, covered with a strap, and purdy ;)

Think something like this but done by a far less talented maker! :)

39d94662a0b05d4909ca54fef127a51c.jpg

My gut says hammer down for sunday wear but I am having some trouble with my 1911 inner voice screaming cocked and locked.

Personally, . . . when I see someone carrying a 1911 that is not C&L, . . . I realize they are one of two: inexperienced and afraid of the weapon they are carrying, . . . or much more highly trained and capable than I.

A cocked and locked 1911 is without a doubt the single most safe firearm a person can carry other than one that is not loaded. No other firearm has the redundant and time proven safety systems built into it as does the 1911.

The other end of the spectrum is the plastic fantastics, . . . of which Glock is queen.

I carry C&L 99% of the time, . . . and I only put the 1% in there JIC.

If I were making a BBQ rig for a 1911, . . . it would for sure be C&L, . . . but then again, . . . that's just one idea, . . . there are others.

AND, . . . I would not use a strap over it (commonly known as a suicide strap), . . . but rather I would make a thumb break, and let it lay between the hammer and the firing pin. When someone needs a 1911 with a thumb break, . . . that's how I make it.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

I've carried 1911's since the '80s, and have never carried in any other fashion than Condition 1. The 1911 was made to be carried in this manner (IMO).

I made these two matching holsters for a fellow.

One's for a Springfield 1911 and the other's for a 6" S&W 686.

Johns01_zps02552c74.jpg

He decided to carry cocked and locked and says the strap fits just fine.

JohnH_zps5c368895.jpg

However, I did have a similar dilemma with a multi-fit knife sheath. My solution was two studs and two holes in the retention strap.

Just enough of a difference to fit a coupla different knives..

bowie2_zps92e427ce.jpg

bowie1_zps706ca636.jpg

Edited by snubbyfan

I made these two matching holsters for a fellow.

One's for a Springfield 1911 and the other's for a 6" S&W 686.

Johns01_zps02552c74.jpg

He decided to carry cocked and locked and says the strap fits just fine.

JohnH_zps5c368895.jpg

However, I did have a similar dilemma with a multi-fit knife sheath. My solution was two studs and two holes in the retention strap.

Just enough of a difference to fit a coupla different knives..

bowie2_zps92e427ce.jpg

bowie1_zps706ca636.jpg

Nifty solution on the sheath!!

My 2 cents is to build your strap to fit condition 1 and it'll still fit fine if for some reason you were carrying with the hammer down. It will be too long by a fraction of an inch but that won't matter at all.

Have fun with your project. I keep meaning to build a "western" 1911 rig for myself but never seem to get around to it.

Josh

Another vote for condition 1. My thought is you might as well be carrying a rock if there's no round in the chamber. When things go bad and you need that firearm odds are you're going to need it quickly and at short range. Having to rack that slide at best will delay your response to that the threat and at worst get you killed. There are too many variables involved in self defense situations for me to carry a 1911 in any condition other than condition 1. In my mind even a BBQ rig should be geared towards getting that gun into action as quickly and safely as possible. If you're carrying a firearm it should be ready to go for whatever situation presents itself. Truth be told I prefer the simplicity of a DA revolver for self defense, point and shoot, no safety involved and the heavy trigger makes it awful hard to have an A.D. under stress although I still carry a 1911.

Stu

I went ahead and cut the strap for Cocked and locked. I figure it will be a little long for hammer down but with hammer down the strap would be behind the hammer so would still be held in place. Should be done with it today. It was fun and I am already thinking about the next one!

alex

I built this thing for myself awhile back - used a traditional hammer thong of latigo saddle spring for period correctness. It allows carry in Condition 1 or 3. Secure enough but not real fast.
Another way to go might be a safety strap with a Sam Browne type button stud. I'm just not a fan of snaps on western type rigs.
bottom line, make it to your customer's spec.s and don't sell anything you'd hesitate to put your maker's mark on.

post-69859-0-67966100-1458735324_thumb.j

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 1:19 PM, Dwight said:

A cocked and locked 1911 is without a doubt the single most safe firearm a person can carry other than one that is not loaded.  No other firearm has the redundant and time proven safety systems built into it as does the 1911.  

Good Sir, you have slighted my collection of XD/XDM pistols with this comment......GROWL!  :)

No "slight" intended SooperJake, . . . I owned an XD double stack, . . . carried it for a while, . . . and I'm sorry, . . . but I just could not get past the Glock look and Glock feel of it.

Honestly, I never got to the point where "I" trusted it, . . . no doubt everyone else in the county did, . . . I just could not.

Finally got a chance to trade it up and up for an ATI, all steel commander, . . . grabbed it while I could, . . . never looked back.

I would love to see one disassembled, . . . see what makes the thing tick, . . . never had the time or inclination to do that with mine while I had it.  A 1911, I have never taken one apart blindfolded, . . . but I'm thinking I could almost do it.

I have taken it down to a pile of pieces, . . . the only parts still together were the sights still on the slide, as I recall.  I wouldn't do that to an XD.

But then again, . . . lots of people trust them, . . . and their trust is verified by their safety record.  Can't even come close to saying that for Glocks.

May God bless,

Dwight