Hey everyone,

would anyone be able to recommend a system for logo embossing that they found works well ? I was looking at a method where you buy the stamp and heat the leather with a heat gun, then apply the stamp with logo on it. All opinions / info welcomed ! Thank !

I don't quite get the heating of the leather. Are you wanting to have just an impression or an impression with color?

You can heat a metal stamp carefully, in a small electric oven. You would need some transfer foil for color and even pressure.

The stamp needs to be heated to something in the neighborhood of 350 to 400 degrees Fahrenheit to make a good transfer.

If you simply wish to make an impression with the logo stamp, you can do that with an acrylic stamp and a simple Arbor Press.

Ferg

The heat 'softens' leather, especially chrome tan.  Chrome tan usually doesn't emboss well without the heat.  I find that 225 - 250 F is a good temperature.  Higher than that can burn the top finish on the leather resulting in a rough imprint.  It takes a bit of practice to balance temperature and how long you press to get an nice clean imprint.  You can also use foils to add colour (and foils are available in many colours and textures).

Machines can be bought used, I think I paid about $400 for mine. Ebay or Craigslist can be good places to look.  If you get some type sets and type holders, you can also personalize items.

This is the old machine I use to emboss my logo onto most items I make. Right now it is set up to emboss strap ends.

hot stamper.jpg

Edited by Sonydaze
correct typo

How much logo stamping do you need to do?

The embossing machine Sonydaze shows here is a good investment for small stamping and as you mentioned getting a plate done with logo on, it would be best to use a machine like this. We have 3 embossing machines that get quite a lot of use and many customer logos for different products and so for us it is for sure the way to go but if your just starting out you could get your plate/ stamp made and with a press, stamp your logo into some veg leather. If you have a clicker press this quite easy. Cut out your piece and sew it into or onto your product. A bit of heat on your stamp can help to darken it but not as you have said about heating your leather with a heat gun. Stamping leather like the soft leather pictured in your skiving problem will be very difficult without an embossing machine and also a very well spaced lettering etc particularly with foil application. Hope this helps for now

Regards Brian F 

I also look for a machine to me.. I find this one, in Amazon.. Someone knows about it.. will be good for embossing leather chrome and tannage in vegetal way.. 

Ridgeyard Hot Foil Stamping Machine Leather Plastic Manual Bronzing Tipper Stamper PVC Card Stainless Steel DIY Printing Machine w/ 2 Free Foil Paper

by Ridgeyard

Price: CDN$ 510.99 

I would try and get something like you would find for sale at the moment in LeatherLeagon profile page. I think it would be more versatile and a lot stronger.

Shame he won't ship I'd buy it myself.

Edited by LeatherLegion

I bought the heated stamping tool from LW. Working well for me, but takes some trial and error with different heats, times, etc on different leathers