SonderingSusan

Skiving Machine Ripping Leather, please help !

On 7/15/2016 at 2:30 PM, Art said:

If I were to modify the one I have, I would put a second motor on, or a clutch setup to continuously run the bell knife and intermittently run the feed.  The two motor system would allow for variable speed on the feed

Do you have any specifics ideas for accomplishing this? I'd like to add a second motor also but don't know where to start.

I'd think an adjustable servo motor would be ideal for slowing the feeder speed.

Doug C

Edited by CustomDoug

On mine it would just be a matter of finding a clutch that would work with that shaft.  If you want to go with two motors, it is a bit easier, just install another motor and hook to the other shaft.  I haven't tackled it as it is not high on my list.  If Consew (Chinese these days) and Fortuna (German) can engineer it, it won't be a problem, they don't use any secret parts that I know of.

Art

A picture of a dual motor set up would be a tremendous help. I looked but could not find one. Anyone know of a site with such a pic? 

Doug C

Id like to throw a probably obvious question into this thread from someone with only landis 5 in 1 skiving experience.  Will the Fortuna or Fortuna clome style skivers work on bridle leather straps?

Silverd 

1 minute ago, Silverd said:

Id like to throw a probably obvious question into this thread from someone with only landis 5 in 1 skiving experience.  Will the Fortuna or Fortuna clome style skivers work on bridle leather straps?

Silverd 

Yes, we make a lot of straps with a buckle on one end.  The buckle end gets skived down so the fold over isn't as thick.  With the straight foot on the skiver. it can be set up to quickly and nicely bevel the end of the strap as well.

The equine bridle straps are sometimes skived on both sides (left and right) their entire length...as well as the ends where the buckle is married.  A Landis 5 in one will technically handle that work but has a tendany to leave drive wheel witness marks.  At least on Veg Tan.  I've not tried to use it on bridle leather but I assume there will be some evidence as a consequence.   The Fortuna skiver has the drive wheel positioned on the skiving side; probably for that very reason.  I invested in the Landis before I turned tiller North tward the equine trade and will serve it up on Ebay if it makes sense.  

Silverd