LeatherWorthy

Military Veterans and Tandy Leather

@Thor  Unless you are a U.S. citizen living abroad who was once a member of the U.S. Armed Forces (and there are many out there who are very close friends of mine who served with me) you can't equate the European version of how LE and military work as our systems are drastically different.  You mentioned that there are some units that don't come home for months at a time, I am assuming that you were referring to Law Enforcement units?  Not here in the U.S. my friend, they pretty much come home to their wife and kids (if that is what they have) every night and give them hugs and kisses; of my 24 years of active military service which had me deployed around the world constantly I pretty much had about 5 years of time (combined home time) with my wife and family members and I challenge any LEO to live that way if they haven't experienced such a thing before.  It is true that several LEO's have had military service in their lives but they all completed their initial obligations (which is 8 years now) before becoming a police officer and they made the change because they didn't want to continue the life of being away from the families that the military brings with it.  Yes, we volunteer for the service and we can elect not to reenlist when that time comes but the majority of those who do volunteer for the military actually look to it as a lifetime career (contrary to what you indicated) and do so willingly because it is a higher calling and it is also a fact that each one of us who made that commitment understood that it was more dangerous than anything else we could do in our lives.  It takes people like us to stand up for the rest of the nation, regardless of which nation it is, in order to allow those who wish to live a life of bare minimum achievement and contribution to society; if not us, who else is going to give their life for other peoples freedoms?  I spent half of the current life that I have lived putting my butt on the line for my country, its people, and those of other foreign nations and their people (all of Europe for example) in the hopes of sparing them from eventual destruction or attack by another unfriendly nation; I started this life by patrolling a piece of border line that was called the "Iron Curtain" and I did that until the day that it fell and we saw some reunification in Europe and every day that I was on that fenceline/border trace my body was a target in the scope of a soldier from the other side and I knew that, so ask yourself if you could do that same job knowing that you were one simple trigger squeeze away from further existence and then equate that to knowing that you are pretty much sure to go home every night to your wife and kids and tell me where they are the same.  They are not, and it does make a big difference in the levels of sacrifice, as well as recognition, of those who know that every day they are alive could be their last versus being pretty much assured that you will go home at the end of your shift (unless someone gets real lucky and you are in the wrong place at the wrong time, which the odds are not very great of happening to you).

Sorry if it sounds harsh but myself, and others who have given like I have, should be recognized differently for what we have sacrificed and I have several LE friends who feel that same way who have never been in the military because they all admit that they could most likely not handle it as easily as what they do everyday and the thought that you can kiss the wife and kids goodbye in the morning may be the last time you see ever see them again, every time you do it.  The psychological impact alone on a soldier is far greater than that on a police officer or paramedic; we see the worst effects of armed conflict and the horrors far outweigh anything I have seen on the outside, and I have seen some pretty nasty results out here but nothing compared to what a roadside bomb can do your best friends; 17 times over 7 years alone.

On 11/4/2016 at 0:24 PM, stangman645 said:

I was shocked when I seen the post of Tandy. I was in the Navy for about 13 years and went and applied as was approved this is a awesome deal as I was always paying for the Gold membership.

What all did you have to bring? I assume a DD-214 or some form of documentation? I ask because I am still in. I guess I need to call Tandy. I dont want to drive 2 hours and be missing any paperwork lol. 

First things, Thanks goes out to Tandy for offering Veterans and Military this fine discount.

Second, this conversation should have been kept elsewhere, but I'm not a moderator so I guess I can say my 2 cents. LOL

Third, being a veteran, I can say that I'm sick of hearing how EMS and FF people think that they are the same as our Military. They are NOT. Stop trying to be and please stop putting mutilating our national flag with that "Blue Lives Matter" stripe. Seriously ALL lives matter. I don't see soldiers returning from the front trying to put their unit colors across the American flag, 

While I do respect other folks views on this subject, they should also respect mine. Normally I don't say much but this subject is a very aggravating one.  

On 11/8/2016 at 5:03 AM, LeatherWorthy said:

What all did you have to bring? I assume a DD-214 or some form of documentation? I ask because I am still in. I guess I need to call Tandy. I dont want to drive 2 hours and be missing any paperwork lol. 

I took in my DD-214, You can also use your VA card or CAC or military ID.

I also have to drive 2 hours so I took multiple forms of ID, but it's quick and painless I already have my discount card and the discount was applied to my purchase that day

On 11/28/2016 at 11:37 AM, Vapor Beast said:

I took in my DD-214, You can also use your VA card or CAC or military ID.

I also have to drive 2 hours so I took multiple forms of ID, but it's quick and painless I already have my discount card and the discount was applied to my purchase that day

Thanks! Im still active, so I was gonna bring orders and CAC and have my reenlistment paperwork with me just in case lol

On 10/17/2016 at 8:10 PM, Dwight said:

That is your opinion, . . . I respect your opinion, . . . but no first responder and no LE in the US has EVER been caught up in a Tet 1968 scenario, . . . Khe San, . . . Heartbreak Ridge, . . . and not one of them have a clue, . . . including you, . . . what it was like to hit the beach on Guadalcanal, inchon, or Omaha Beach.

Next time you want to feel sorry for the "oh so hard" life EMT's or LE live compared to the military, . . . go spend a day in a military hospital, . . . see the vets, . . . let them tell you about how they only lost their legs and one arm, . . . 5 of their 6 buddies came home in body bags.

No, . . . you are the one who is clueless, . . . as well as ignorant.

May God bless,

Dwight

No LE or no First responder caught up in a Te 1968 scenario? You forget the first responders on 9/11? I can assure you I have seen just as many dead bodies and held just as many dying men, women, and children in my arms or more than you sir. The same men that "volunteer" for the military are the same ones that volunteer for LE and as first responders.  I am both, I was in the Military during the Gulf war and I am a FireMedic now.  I can say that I am put in harms way more often now as a Firemedic. The military may not pay inlisted much but the benefits equal it out. In the military I had a free house, free electric, tax free shopping at PX etc... As for the pay of a first responder haha, it would be nice to make the big bucks you guys think..lol.. I have the training to total a masters degree yet make less than my sister-in-law who is a retail manager of lane bryant.  It seems ignorance is bountiful here... 

My career as a firemedic has given me 2 knee surgeries, 4 herniated disks, oh yea and Cancer... but its not dangerous.

Cool story. You are still a civilian and not even within the top 10 most dangerous career fields in the USA.  LE doesn't hold a candle to the BS a service members has to go through and the sacrifice many have made.

You ever work 120 hours strait with no OT?

You ever been deployed to a combat zone away from your familly for 15 months?

Do you work 15+ hour days , 6-7 days a week? but paid as if you worked a normal 40 hour work week (or much less)

Can your boss show up to your house and demand a health and welfare inspection whenever they feel like it?

Get called in on a Saturday or Sunday to take a piss test at 5AM with zero notice?

Do you have to get written permission from your boss to go further than 50 miles away from your house on a weekend/days off?

Have to take a Physical fitness test every 6 months along with body fat test in order to keep your job?

Have to fill out a SF86/87 and go through a SSBI for a clearance and the last 7-20 years of your life ripped apart?

Can you just say it, quit, and walk away without going to jail and being court marshaled and/or losing benefits every American gets by simply being born here?

Please tell me more about your service durring the Gulf war. Were you actually deployed? What service and what career.

I will agree that the military is overpaid for most servicemembers, its a simple supply/demand situation.

For the same reason LE is vasty overpaid. When you have 2000 applicants for 8 vacancies, you are paying to much.

Lastly, don't bitch that you took a low paying shitty job.  Thats your choice. 

I make way more and work way less as a civy now in a nice climate controlled office. Maybe you should have actually used your bennies to get that masters degree instead of taking what you think is just as hard. 

Just wanted to add they updated their website, it now reflects the military discount.

On 1/21/2017 at 8:24 PM, KeithHideWorks said:

Cool story. You are still a civilian and not even within the top 10 most dangerous career fields in the USA.  LE doesn't hold a candle to the BS a service members has to go through and the sacrifice many have made.

You ever work 120 hours strait with no OT?

You ever been deployed to a combat zone away from your familly for 15 months?

Do you work 15+ hour days , 6-7 days a week? but paid as if you worked a normal 40 hour work week (or much less)

Can your boss show up to your house and demand a health and welfare inspection whenever they feel like it?

Get called in on a Saturday or Sunday to take a piss test at 5AM with zero notice?

Do you have to get written permission from your boss to go further than 50 miles away from your house on a weekend/days off?

Have to take a Physical fitness test every 6 months along with body fat test in order to keep your job?

Have to fill out a SF86/87 and go through a SSBI for a clearance and the last 7-20 years of your life ripped apart?

Can you just say it, quit, and walk away without going to jail and being court marshaled and/or losing benefits every American gets by simply being born here?

Please tell me more about your service durring the Gulf war. Were you actually deployed? What service and what career.

I will agree that the military is overpaid for most servicemembers, its a simple supply/demand situation.

For the same reason LE is vasty overpaid. When you have 2000 applicants for 8 vacancies, you are paying to much.

Lastly, don't bitch that you took a low paying shitty job.  Thats your choice. 

I make way more and work way less as a civy now in a nice climate controlled office. Maybe you should have actually used your bennies to get that masters degree instead of taking what you think is just as hard. 

As I stated I was in the military, more specifically since you asked; I was on a Sub in the Navy. I have worked a port and starboard shift, so yes long hours everyday including weekends and holidays, background for security clearance yes (secret security clearance level), pt tests yes, drug tests, yada yada... and just as you said about LE, you/we volunteered for military service knowing you can not quit and knowing the danger (if you were in the military).  The difference, I have been in both Military and a First responder fields so I am not biased to one or the other, and I deeply respect both for there duty and sacrifice. I am saying that they both are equally dangerous.  The danger and stress of both jobs are real and are very high.  

Not in the top 10 dangerous jobs? Where do you get your facts? CNBC considers Police, Correction officers, Fire, and Emergency Medical techs in the top ten (by the way that would make 4 out of the 10 of the most dangerous jobs being First responders, IJS).

Here is the link http://www.cnbc.com/2016/08/12/the-most-dangerous-jobs-in-america.html?slide=1 (Notice the date 2016, so it is current).

I am not bitching about my "low paying shitty job" as you stated.  I love my job and helping people, even rude un-informed people like yourself. Could I get a better paying job,sure. I had a better paying job, but no bonus or dollar sign compares to when I save a life or help someone to safety when everyone else is to scared to. No one becomes a Firefighter to get rich, that is not going to happen.  I am glad you make lots of money and I hope you like your job and it makes you happy, because I love what I do.

I did not say that Military members were over paid, maybe the Officers that sit on there ass are (the benefits that O-5 and higher get are ridiculous). The enlisted are under paid.  With that, pay is only relevant to the area someone works. A cop in NY or LA will make more than one in Indiana just for the simple fact of the cost of living. Where I live a sheriff deputy will start out at 38K a year, I dont think that is "vastly overpaid".

My point was to express that the jobs of first responders are equally dangerous and stressed filled as the Military can be.  You then question what and where and how I served. As a veteran, does it matter if I was a secretary, a cook, or a sniper to get a military discount anywhere, no it doesn't.  So don't take the most extremely dangerous position in the military and then use it to compare all other jobs, because there are guys that fly remote controlled planes and others that do computer repair in the military that never see any action or injury other than maybe the risk of carpal tunnel or a paper cut and still get a "Military Discount".  

It seems that your office job has turned you into an angry liberal, but that is just my opinion, and I wish you well.

I have done business with Tandy out of Nashville since 2015. They have always offered classes and  opportunities to veterans there. When i was active duty some of my soldiers attended their classes for free as well as law enforcement.

I have always found the Tandy people in Nashville to be helpful and extremely supportive of their soldiers and Police.

With or without a discount they are always my go to supplier. 

I have signed up for the Tandy military discount and I must say, it's allowed me to buy many more tools from them rather than order online.  I think it's great they offer it.

On another note for anyone unaware, Cabela's offers a 5% military discount everyday on all items.  In addition, they haven't forgotten about LEO and the like.  A few times a year they have a 3 or 4 day deal for "hometown heroes".  This is for LEO, firefighters, EMTs, etc.  I work there part time and think it's great they offer something to those serving our country.  5% doesn't sound like much but it can add up quick.  

Well, that certainly went south.

Not everything at Tandy (or anywhere else for that matter) is worth buying, even at a discount.  I've had people punch me in the eye for FREE, and getting it for free did not make me want another one :rofl:

But some things there are okay, and it would be nice to have a place near where I could pick up a few snaps or a specific buckle without having to store so much here.

I was in a tandy years back, struggling to find a stitching awl that would actually cut without hammering on it.  Guy says' yep, those work good'. So I grabbed a 10 oz double shoulder from a few feet away, and went to stab it, which nearly caused the guy coronary problems.  Told him I'll take the leather, and IF this cuts smoothly, I'll take the awl too.  It didn't, and I left without what I came for and carrying a double shoulder I didn't really want ;)

If you can get a discount, have at it.

Edited by JLSleather

2 hours ago, JLSleather said:

Well, that certainly went south.

Not everything at Tandy (or anywhere else for that matter) is worth buying, even at a discount.  I've had people punch me in the eye for FREE, and getting it for free did not make me want another one :rofl:

But some things there are okay, and it would be nice to have a place near where I could pick up a few snaps or a specific buckle without having to store so much here.

I was in a tandy years back, struggling to find a stitching awl that would actually cut without hammering on it.  Guy says' yep, those work good'. So I grabbed a 10 oz double shoulder from a few feet away, and went to stab it, which nearly caused the guy coronary problems.  Told him I'll take the leather, and IF this cuts smoothly, I'll take the awl too.  It didn't, and I left without what I came for and carrying a double shoulder I didn't really want ;)

If you can get a discount, have at it.

That little story had me gigglin' somethin' fierce.  

Not to dredge this debate back up but both Tandy and Weaver's now offer first responder discounts.