kjcreamer

Is $200 for Tandy Deluxe Splitter a Good Deal?

Looking at Black Friday doorbuster special at my Tandy with the Deluxe Splitter model on sale for $200. Is this a good deal or is the blade just not worth even that? I've heard (and experienced) some disappointment with Tandy tools but I've not purchased any of their higher priced items. Any thoughts about pros or cons I should think about before going for it? Thanks for the input.

BTW reg prices listed at $550, gold $440, elite $385

Edited by kjcreamer
Added prices

If it was good, Tandy would not be selling at 200.

Most of what they sell now make good paper weights or wall hangers.

Another good use of Tandy junk, if you have a shop with a front counter leave a few tools scattered around.

If they are missing when a so called customer leaves you have them pegged.

I use to tear the corner of a 20 (50 would be better now) sticking out from under something fairly light.

Some would tell you about it, others try to slip out, the look on their face price-less.

Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought they discontinued that model?  It's a good deal in comparison to their regular rape price.

The unit itself is not great. It's wide but have you ever tried to put an 8" piece thru one? You'd need a winch. Not to mention you need 3 hands.  As for the blade, remember - they are 'factory' sharp which is not the same as sharp. 

Their smaller hi-tech spiltter does work better if what your main item is straps. I have one and never had a complaint (although I do remember seeing one or two be out of whack and cut unevenly).  Cheers!

I had one, got rid of it.  Not a great unit and it will require a serious sharpening right out of the box.

I bought one and it is SHARP right out of the box. I use it to taper strap ends and works good.  Maybe they send better ones to Canada.  How long it will stay sharp remains to be seen.  If you had checked the number is different then the regular deluxe splitter.

I'm with your catskin, . . . I got mine last year on black Friday, . . . brought it home, . . . and it worked "OK" straight out of the box.

I bought a chunk of green rouge off Ebay, . . . lathered up a 5 inch or so wide piece of 9 oz leather nailed to a board, . . . and proceeded to dress the blade with it.

Have used it several times (beginning to use it more and more), . . . and for belts, straps, holster parts, etc, . . . it has been great for me.

The pic is the one I got for $200, . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

https://www.tandyleather.com/en/product/craftool-deluxe-leather-splitter

I was browsing the internet looking for other in formation yesterday and came across the cowboy 800 splitter and it looks exactly like the Tandy I can't help believing they come out of the same factory.

The key with all splitters is to have an incredibly sharp edge.  Our test is simple: It should be sharp enough to shave the ridges off your fingerprints.  Literally.   When I sharpen them here in the shop, I have to call out ahead of me when I'm walking back to the bench.  Anyone who bumps into me is going to the hospital.  

Edited by SolarLeatherMachines

Yes !!! Some of us just have not quite reached that level of sharp yet.   I was lucky mine came out of the box sharp enough to cut for me.

I got their splitter that doesn't have the gradual lever. It does ine with fixed depth splitting. (I did sharpen the blade myself). I would like to have the gradual lever to have the ability to make a gradual skive. But, the one that I bought does what it's suy

19 minutes ago, alpha2 said:

I got their splitter that doesn't have the gradual lever. It does ine with fixed depth splitting. (I did sharpen the blade myself). I would like to have the gradual lever to have the ability to make a gradual skive. But, the one that I bought does what it's suy

The one I got has the lever and it does a good job on long tapers.  It was sold on there 2 day special here the end of November.  It was sold under a different product number then the regular one with the lever. Mine was SHARP right out of the box.  Maybe they made a special buy on them since the were limited to 12 per store and mine came sharp. I know what the sent thickness ones are like I have 4 of them in different makes and they work good for long same thickness splits.

After reading this again...I have no idea what "suy" means. I can only assume it means "supposed to". I have an HP laptop, and it does what the last one did. It inserts the input into the location of the cursor, or some other random location. Never again...