RockyAussie

Skiving foot roller adaptation

Here are some videos of skiving with a new roller foot and some of the advantages this roller foot is capable of. Having worked with many various leather types over the years including glazed finished crocodile I found it necessary to have a skiving foot that did not scrape the top surface and allowed leather to go through more smoothly with less friction than the normal supplied feet can give. I made up my first roller foot by cutting down a spare normal foot and making a brass roller to fit onto it. This roller has almost never come off the machine ever since except for the occasional polish and oiling. Steve or on this forum member Singermania kindly provided me a couple of manufactured roller feet to try out. The long one interested me the most as I could see a few applications it could be good for. Unfortunately this foot did not fit straight onto either my Fortuna or FAV skiving machines and some modifications were needed but in the end I think well worth the trouble. The first 2 videos are all about the foot modifications and the last is a bit long but shows me trialling out some skiving operations. I hope these are of some help to any of you that are trying to master their skiving machines. Regards Brian

Brian, these videos are very cool. Thanks for doing this. I need to look into getting a roller foot for my machine.  

Chuck

Thanks Chuck. I hope to do a few more in the near future.

Thanks gigi I hope to see a post of yours going soon.:)

Thanks for posting videos ... And be sure to thank your videographer for us as well.  

Thanks Sam and billybopp. I have thanked the videographer. Probably have to cook diner tonight now:unsure:. Have a think about subscribing onto my youtube channel as that way you get notified when I post something new and it don't cost anything at all.More and I hope better coming soon.

Can you tell me the width of the roller (the larger one)? I can't seem to find that info anywhere. I know the Fratelli Alberti come in 34mm and 50mm. They are saying the 34mm is best used with a smaller feed wheel...

Thanks, Adam

Hi Adam, I am only aware of one size feed wheel. They can come in a few different types as in fine and coarser stones and likewise in steel and even in rubber but as far as length and diameter they are all the same as far as I have ever seen. The bell is a set shape and the feed has to match. The shorter length roller yo mention should give you a bit more angle if you need and the 50mm would be better for splitting purposes as it may require less passes. The one I have shown in the video above is about 31mm long and due to its shape being bigger on one end I can angle it a lot for grooving out as well. I don't know if this link will help but it shows the foot I used in the video.Best of luck Brian https://ko.aliexpress.com/item/2pcs-Roller-Presser-Foot-For-Skiving-Leather-Machines-nippy-fotuna-taiking-801-parts-kit-best-Quality/32782944504.html?spm=2114.53010508.4.103.7VVEtX

@RockyAussie Thanks! In my machine manual and also online I have seen smaller feed wheels. For example on the Fratelli Alberti website they recommend the 34mm roller with their 34mm feed wheel. If I use it on a 50mm feed wheel the shape may not be right, that was my concern.  Thanks for the link! -Adam

Ok I checked into the 34mm roller and yes I see it. I cant think why they make it as I have never wanted a shorter feed and if anything a longer feed would be better. As far as their feet go I cant say to be sure if there would be any problems in using their 34mm roller on a 50mm wheel. About 20 or so years back when I am not sure if they even made roller feet I made my own, even before I had a lathe. See in pictures below. They start off as a common foot that comes normally with the machines and I just got a bit of round brass and drilled a hole in the middle and smoothed off a nail made for hammering into concrete.  I then cut down the foot to fit with a hacksaw and filed and sanded up then drilled it out to take the nail. To stop the nail turning I ground a flat on the side of the nail then drilled and tapped the side of the foot to put a small bolt to touch the nail.The pics should explain mostly I think. It needs some oil in the hole every now and then. Once I had the brass on the nail and installed I just ground it down to shape comparing it to the feed wheel roller. It does not have to be as an exact match as you might think and it is easy to take of the machine and re sand a bit if you think it is needed. After a few years of heavy use they can get a little sloppy but that does not matter much as when the job feeds through it just moves up and ends up straight anyway. Have some fun. Brian

Brass roller.jpg

Roller foot before.jpg

@RockyAussie Thanks for the info! You are very creative :) I like playing with things like this, but like most people my time is very valuable. I will keep playing with my machine and probably buy a roller from China. The 50mm roller from Italy is 178 euro! The 50mm teflon is about 80 euro. I need something because the normal foot can mark some of the leather we use.

Either way, I'm learning a lot and think the skiving machine will really help us make the high-end fine wallets we want. It is really a must have tool!

Have you ever used the teflon feet? How does it compare to a roller?

-Adam

Teflon are a fair bit better but I like the roller way more. You may be able to buy some teflon tape and try it. Brian

Great videos. Maybe you could start selling these modified roller feet? :)  I just bought a new skiving machine and oh boy there are so much to learn...Thank you for posting this.

On 17/11/2017 at 3:29 AM, tzleather said:

Great videos. Maybe you could start selling these modified roller feet? :)  I just bought a new skiving machine and oh boy there are so much to learn...Thank you for posting this.

Thanks @tzleather I hope that it is of some help to you in the future. If you're really to worried to do a roller for yourself ...send me a foot if you have one spare and I'll make you one up like mine for $60.00 au. I have no idea why they don't make one's like mine as they last well with a little oiling and make the skiving so much less trouble.I still use my old brass one mostly.:dunno: Brian

Sorry I'm a few months behind catching up, but @RockyAussie does your brass roller allow you to skive heavier leathers too? I've got a standard bell skiver and thinking about modifying it to take more dense veg tan too.  Cheers!

5 hours ago, JasonGwiazda said:

Sorry I'm a few months behind catching up, but @RockyAussie does your brass roller allow you to skive heavier leathers too? I've got a standard bell skiver and thinking about modifying it to take more dense veg tan too.  Cheers!

Yes it allows me to do heavy leathers pretty well but on stiff hard stuff I normally go about that by doing it in 2 stages. The roller will allow heavier leather way more so than the standard feet will. On thick leathers it is often necessary to take the bell back away a bit to get the feed to grip better. That can make a big difference.

Thanks mate, I'll look into getting a roller foot and have a play to go from there.  Much appreciated!

On 7/15/2017 at 9:47 AM, RockyAussie said:

Teflon are a fair bit better but I like the roller way more. You may be able to buy some teflon tape and try it. Brian

I bought a 30mm roller and a 54mm teflon. For splitting I have found the teflon better. Thanks for your help. A sharp blade has been the most important part for me :) If the skiver blade is perfectly sharp it is MUCH easier to use. -Adam

21 hours ago, arz said:

I bought a 30mm roller and a 54mm teflon. For splitting I have found the teflon better. Thanks for your help. A sharp blade has been the most important part for me :) If the skiver blade is perfectly sharp it is MUCH easier to use. -Adam

Thanks for the update and great to hear you are getting it sorted. :thumbsup: - Brian

5 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

Thanks for the update and great to hear you are getting it sorted. :thumbsup: - Brian

I appreciate all your help. It is working great! Splitting is still a challenge but I am no longer putting holes in things :) Now I am looking at sewing machine for the future (I don't think I can continue hand sewing in the future....) -Adam

@RockyAussie

Old topic, I know, but does anyone know if  this bell skiver roller foot is available in the US?  Looking for something like this for a Cobra NP4.

YinTx

BellskiverRollerFoot.jpg

I stumbled on this while having a look around on the Campbell Randall web site the other day. http://www.campbell-randall.com/public/index.php/product/fav-1498c-roller-foot-with-30mm-1498-roller

If you go back and have a look into the parts section, in this case the FAV parts section there is a large amount of various feet for these skivers. I have a Fav and a Fortuna skiver and have been able to interchange the feet on them so I suspect that this should fit the Cobra as well. There is also an off centre pin that can rotate that holds the feet and that may be handy to have as well. I would give it a try as I think it would work and if so the amount of other variable parts such as the feed rollers and feet could be very handy knowledge to others including sellers on here. There is a member on LW that may be able to assist as well ..... @CampbellRandall