So I was asked to make some groomsmen gifts for very close friends. Belts to be precise, however just like most they have an idea in their mind and use visuals to represent what they want. Although I have a fair amount of dye I lack in the brown department. I was going to just buy all of the close samples until I got to about $50 and pumped the brakes. Could anyone narrow this leather color dye down to 3 or 4 browns. Perhaps its the lighting of the pullup of the leather but am I overthinking this and its just a brown/med brown leather dye? I will dye samples and let them choose from what I have. Im making smuggler's belts for them which I thought was a pretty cool idea. The retailer that sells this labelled the color "Tan Glove" which obviously doesnt exist in the dye world (at least from what ive seen) Thank you for your input. 

Brown.png

I'm thinking 'British Tan'

British Tan always looked reddish to me.  The Medium brown has a bit of reddish tint to it too.  Light brown or thinned walnut would be my guess.

These shoes are probably chrome tanned at the tannery using g a secret blend.

I would be looking at Walnut or russet. 

And let the people know you can get close to the color.

Just my thoughts and I'm no expert.

Thanks for the replies! Ill order them all and toy around. Id like to get it as close as possible, but the more responsible route is to just givem 3-4 choices and go from there. I almost had her sold on some pre-dyed bridle tan I stock too. :)

Tha's purdy durn close to Fiebing's walnut.

Being me, I have several little bottles filled with 'potions', just enough mixes of different colour dyes to get that colour my customer wants (always done with the warning that an exact match may be impossible).

It looks very close to the Walnut from Fiebing's and you would probably end up almost spot on once you have oiled it up (after the dye has cured that is).

well thats me out voted

but wat da ya expect - I'm colourblind! :blink:

I felt like a chemist on the last "brown" belt I made... a few drops of spanish brown.. drop of british tan.. drop of light brown... many drops of alchohol...nope... drop of dark brown.. nope... drop of.....

It looks like the kudu oil tanned leather popular with shoes etc. on the shoe you showed...good luck, let us know what you come up with!

YinTx

If you're still trying to color match for this, I suggest angelus dyes. The color they call spice.

1 hour ago, PonyEdwards said:

If you're still trying to color match for this, I suggest angelus dyes. The color they call spice.

Thank you. The closest I had gotten was Walnut. The belt is almost done and the bride likes the way its shaping up. I'll throw up a pic when im done stitching the pocket.