my middle son (12 yrs) wanted a simplistic wallet I didn't want his 1st self made to be a kit so I had him do a image search for 2 things a bi-fold and the letter "j" he found the Anvil leather wallets and chose that style. then found the "j" (which I carved for him) his carving skills are not as good as his assembly.(we're working on that) he did use a Gomph seeder to background the "j" interior. I did the pattern layout for him, he cut all the leather did all the stitching to include making the stitching holes with my new set of stitching chisels he also airbrushed the color and lined the wallet. For his first leather project he did a fantastic job in my opinion!20170416_003916_resized.jpg.63c0e6f5f0c1c6a36cf068a940460360.jpg

20170416_003849_resized.jpg.af3d6d31a13d0f08ca9f4669681cc151.jpg

20170416_003839_resized.jpg.0a96a7acd6e08662ce954e78c7d7651f.jpg

he burnished the edges and did all the work. I am very proud of his ability to follow my instructions, I gave him practice runs at each and every step of the process then moved to the real deal. He tells me he wants to make another one or a knife sheath. As always comments and questions are welcome.

That's awesome.  What a perfect age for him to start learning the craft too. Kudo's to both Jake and Sanch for an excellent first project!

43 minutes ago, cjartist said:

That's awesome.  What a perfect age for him to start learning the craft too. Kudo's to both Jake and Sanch for an excellent first project!

thanks for the kind words. all credit for pattern goes to Anvil leather also a side note this is a personal wallet for my son ABSOLUTELY NO INTENTION OF PRODUCTION RUNS. just saying.

Edited by Sanch

Super cool @Sanch. I only wish my son was capable of following instruction at that age; we still have a hell of a time over 18....

That is awesome. Hopefully the spark will turn into a fire.

lol he's already better at wallets that me! Nothing better than having a child that shows the same interest. not to hijack the thread but I now feel obligated to show my kids first knife sheath that he did at  about the same age as Jake

20141229_095500_resized_1.jpg

Edited by kiwican

1 hour ago, battlemunky said:

Super cool @Sanch. I only wish my son was capable of following instruction at that age; we still have a hell of a time over 18....

He paid attention because it was something that he really wanted as far as the rest of the time well let's just say he's as hardheaded as I am

51 minutes ago, Bodean said:

That is awesome. Hopefully the spark will turn into a fire.

Hey seems to have taken an interest so hopefully I can keep his attention with it he shows a lot of promise.

40 minutes ago, kiwican said:

lol he's already better at wallets that me! Nothing better than having a child that shows the same interest. not to hijack the thread but I now feel obligated to show my kids first knife sheath that he did at  about the same age as Jake

20141229_095500_resized_1.jpg

That's a fine-looking knife sheath Jake is itching to do one as well he has a knife that I made for him and I know that's what he's aiming to do! Yeah his first wallet turned out a hundred times better than any of my first work did!

He did a great job.

10 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

He did a great job.

yup! thanks from him!

Really impressive for that age, really even for any age as a first!

7 hours ago, ldgood said:

Really impressive for that age, really even for any age as a first!

I think so too!!

Outstanding!

I think we have an obligation to pass along our craft. I just started teaching my son in law.

Tell your son "well done" from me.

19 minutes ago, Earl Ash said:

Outstanding!

I think we have an obligation to pass along our craft. I just started teaching my son in law.

Tell your son "well done" from me.

yesir! on both accounts!

Betteren I could do. Good Job

38 minutes ago, Clintock said:

Good job. His edges are better than some I've done. Tell him to keep the good work. 

will do! His Edge finishing method is a tried-and-true one I've been doing it since I started leatherworking and passed it on to him!