Hello,

I am trying to find some info about a customized alphabet set that I can use to stamp with an arbor press.

I really want to be able to put initials on my leather but cant find where to get the whole set up - I want a hand press, not a burning iron. 

Any ideas who makes these things and are these alphabet sets usable with arbor presses? 

Thank you!

M.

look up Studio-N here on the board. He makes them out of delrin so price is good and I've got a few that work fine with my press

There are threads here about using arbor presses for stamping.  One thing to do is drill the arbor press ram to accept a tool handle that is used with alphabet stamp sets such as available at Tandy and other re-sellers.  Some of the sets are large enough that you may be able to press directly on the stamp.  Anyhow, I'd get the set of stamps of the size and style you want, then see what you need to do with the arbor press.

If the search doesn't work to your satisfaction, you can do a google search and include this directive in your search string.  site:leatherworker.net  It will restrict your search to this site.

Tom

Some arbor presses have a hole in the press bar. This just happens to match the adapters that Tandy has for its own press. On the other side the Tandy 3D letters fit to the adapter

https://www.tandyleather.eu/en/product/press-dies-for-hand-press

https://www.tandyleather.eu/en/category/alphabet-number-leather-stamp-se

Thanks guys, for your advice!

I should have been more specific -  I meant the T-slot letter holder stamping - i dont know what else to call them. This is the set-up I am thinking.

Screen Shot 2017-05-10 at 8.09.54 PM.png

No idea where to get that specific one, but could you adapt a bookbinders letter holder?    

I have one I adapted for my little hot foil machine.   I used it to stamp my details on leather key fobs, as a bit of advertising, so it should, with a bit of fettlin' fit an arbor press.

I think what your looking for you should find in this following link. They have embossing machines, letter sets and all sorts. They are a lot closer to you than me.http://www.howardimprinting.com/

Edited by RockyAussie
Forgot the link

Hexnhit offers made to order stamps in any font that you can use legally. 

Leodis Leather and Nigel at Armitage Leather both have nice reviews for them.

They are not cheap, but they are an affordable custom investment.

I suggest watching Nigel's video first, then if interested Leodis's for more detail.

I plan to purchase some someday.

You do not need to have the ram of the press drilled and tapped to accurately press stamps into leather. That standard harbor freight press has square stock for a ram that can be lined up and stamped easily, quickly, and evenly. I have used craftool stamps, custom delrin stamps, and cnc'd brass stamps with great effect. I had recently purchased the tandy arbor press without the stamp attachment and it does not work like the cheap one does. I will have to get the stamp attachment for it to do the things that the $60 harbor freight press does without modification. 

i have crushed the letter stamps from the evil empire on an arbor press. they used to carry a plug set which fit into the hole and gave a flat spot on top for just such an operation They have long discontinued it though. You can always use the ram foot to provide that surface.