beltbuckles

jiffy rivets opinion

so i use jiffy rivets on handbags (on the handles) i have a hand press that works great.. it came with the correct dye set and 100 steal (or iron ) rivets (nickel plated).

my question is the strenght of these things.. i think the lenght of the rivet shaft is okay and after i set one, i sometimes do a "pull test" and usually stays strong.

do these pop out over time?  they feel  strong .. and they are super cheap to buy which is nice :)

i think the nickel plate help with the rust issue as well.. any experience with these ? 

would brass be better? instead of steel? in terms of long term use?

Edited by beltbuckles

I can pop off jiffy rivets by jerking on the leather, but under normal use, I am never seen one pop off on any of my purses or folders. I wouldn't use them on horse tack or holsters.

awesome, thanks for the reply. yeah they seem to be on okay so,,

is brass better?

I have had straps pull out from around the rivets when under strain or constant use. I changed to putting the straps on the 'Al Stohlman' way - through a slot in the bag's leather so the strap is riveted on the inside  - thu the slot - then riveted on the outside as well. No failures since changing to this way.

I prefer brass based double head rivest now. I have found that the steel based rivets will show corrosion over time no matter what their top coating is whereas brass still looks good when it ages. As for strength of either, not done any actual test but they seem to be just as strong

I personally consider jiffy rivets for show only. I use tubular or copper rivets if they have to hold anything.

On 5/16/2017 at 5:43 PM, Mark842 said:

I personally consider jiffy rivets for show only. I use tubular or copper rivets if they have to hold anything.

so do they come out over time? they feel secure when i put them on and yank on them....  i have heard that copper works great,, but for a handbag, it may be overkill?

On 5/16/2017 at 0:46 PM, fredk said:

I have had straps pull out from around the rivets when under strain or constant use. I changed to putting the straps on the 'Al Stohlman' way - through a slot in the bag's leather so the strap is riveted on the inside  - thu the slot - then riveted on the outside as well. No failures since changing to this way.

I prefer brass based double head rivest now. I have found that the steel based rivets will show corrosion over time no matter what their top coating is whereas brass still looks good when it ages. As for strength of either, not done any actual test but they seem to be just as strong

i was worred about the rust issue.. i put  a rivet that i punched into some leather into hydrogen peroxide for like 10 minutes to see what happens.. it didn't rust at all, but overtime, i can see that being a problem.. i may have to switch over to brass.. have you had rust experience you said??

does anyone use buckleguy or ohio travel bag for rivets???

If the item that has been riveted is done correctly and used as it is intended to be then the rivets should last for a long time.  We all know that there are some people who think that durability means that you can do stuff with it that you shouldn't be doing and when it goes wrong it is a faulty piece of merchandise and their own stupidity.  I too am one who prefers the solid brass rivets based on how they hold up to the elements versus steel rivets and I only use the double capped style based on the overall aesthetics of appearance.  These types of rivets are just as durable as any tubular or copper and burr styles and no one provides more holding strength that the other really; it really is more a matter of preference than anything else.  For my rivets I use Buckle Guy because they are Low Lead Solid Brass (just about everything he carries is that grade) and they have been very reliable for me so far; haven't even had any issues with setting them (as has been the case with some other suppliers and their nickel and steel versions).  If you use solid brass then you won't see any issues with corrosion as brass ages and patinas just like copper but it cleans up easier than copper and doesn't pit as easily either.  I have customers that purchased a belt back in the late 70's that was made with rivets to secure the buckle (I only use screws now) and they are still holding; they look like they have been through hell but they are still holding and that says something in my book.

I agree with Richard that if used correctly the double capped rivets work fine but I do have a big preference also to the brass type as in years of doing repairs I know the rust problem does show up in time.

1 hour ago, beltbuckles said:

...i was worred about the rust issue.. i put  a rivet that i punched into some leather into hydrogen peroxide for like 10 minutes to see what happens.. it didn't rust at all, but overtime, i can see that being a problem.. i may have to switch over to brass.. have you had rust experience you said??

Firstly; an explanation; I live in Northern Ireland. We have a very high amount of rainfall plus no place is more than 50 miles from a sea. Metal items rust very speedily; you can actually see the corrosion setting in on some things over just a few days. I've had nickle and brass plated steel based rivets showing corrosion inside a week. Last year I dumped 1000 unused, new, bagged, nickle plated steel rivets as all of them were showing signs of corrosion bubbles

Edited by fredk

I personally think of what the use of the item will be, the conditions it will experience , and pricing. 

I am trying to make a bunch of key fobs to get rid of some scrap so I don't want to spend a ton of time/effort on these. They will be cheap so why use my good rivets on them? 

Is the purse I am making something I want to last a lifetime? If yes then I will use brass or copper rivets. That will increase the price though. 

Since you live in Ireland you have those weather conditions to deal with so that may actually limit your choices. I live in dry/hot conditions so I really have a lot of options. So if you sell locally and not internationally that may limit your choices as well. 

I personally haven't seen much difference between rivets and stitching, except when I screwed up putting a rivet in. That being said, I feel like items that I have screwed up the stitching on have still held well. I have a pair of tabi (ninja boots) that I made and they see the harshest conditions I can put an item through. They are stitched and have held up even when portions of the stitching have failed. They were like the second thing I had made out of leather and really didn't know what I was doing. I have a belt I have made and held together a part of it with contact cement and rivets. One of the rivets has popped out and the cement is starting to give a bit. 

So long rambling cut short, if you are making an item that will last years I recommend either brass or copper rivets and on cheaper/less important items use the jiffy rivets.