YinTx

New Project in progress: Music Case

I've been cogitating on this off and on for a year or so.  Finally decided on altering the design put forth by Anderson Leather - many thanks to him for sharing the process and a base template.

I altered it significantly, making it much larger than the one in the template.  I had originally decided to do it as a prototype, but as it started to turn out nice enough, I decided to go with a liner, since he had indicated that was his one regret with the one he made:  not putting in a liner.  Of course, putting a liner in as an after thought has compromised the edge work, but it is what it is.  Open to comments as I progress!

YinTx

MusicBag3LoRes.jpg.b9be6197f5ba1aca435a7dd21e385e97.jpg

Looks pretty good so far, re minds me of saddle bags I've made except for  the handles.:popcorn:

You might go through a few bags of popcorn before I finish that last section of stitching!  But I'll post a few pics as I go...

YinTx

20170807_155758.thumb.jpg.07133e66fea4719dca9b0b8eb93ecc8a.jpg

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn: That's alright I like popcorn :popcorn::popcorn: Its still looking good :popcorn:

Really love this colour!! looking great so far!!

Always such a tease on what you're making but it's always been worth the wait and it's looking great so far!

The wait may be a bit longer all of a sudden.  It would appear that my opposing digit and my awl are both concurrently out of commission.  It seems while I was finishing the final stitches on this project:

unbeknownst to me, the awl decided to mysteriously - and generously - insert itself into my right thumb.  When moving to make the next stitch, the awl was violently flung from my hand, removed itself from the thumb, and bounced along the tile floor.  Thankfully it chose the floor and not my leg or foot for it's landing.

After I stemmed the tide of red that was leaving dots all over said tile, I retrieved the awl, cleaned it and noted the dinked point.  I swear my fish knows how to laugh, because he saw the whole event and still had a sheepish grin when I returned to the room to clean the floor.

So, while the bag itself has a nice wine tone hue, the thread is white, and I'd like to keep it that way on this project, so I'll have to wait until my thumb is a bit less tender, and the awl has been reshaped.

Since I still haven't quite figured out how the awl and my right thumb managed to occupy the same space in time, as I was stitching with the awl in my right hand, I have a degree of fear that I may repeat the error.  Hopefully not any time soon.

YinTx

I was nearly going to say time for a 441 of sorts but I guess if you get to stick you thumb in one of them it wont be so easy to fling of your hand. When I feel mad enough to go the hand stitch route I keep a block of crepe rubber handy for the odd tough spot. PS cover the fish tank or he will just be waiting for the next exciting episode.:huh:

Brian

Yah, the 441 has me perplexed, so it sits waiting to get tuned by someone in the know.  It stitches, but not up to my expectations.  Perhaps they are to high.

I told my little fish to cover his eyes, no gawpin and grinnin at me when I'm cussin and discussin with my leather works!

YinTx

It aint a REAL project until ya bleed on it a lil.

Lol.  "TIS BUT A FLESH WOUND! "

I was just thinking this morning as I was reading Cary Shwarz' blog, and he was discussing donating blood as it relates to leather work, and counting my blessings that I hadn't had a run in with the awl for more than a year.  That was short lived!

Keep safe out there, ya'll!

YinTx

Sorry to read of your mishap, combining awls/ needles and fingers/thumbs is NEVER a fun situation.

While you heal, and we wait for more progress pics, can I ask what leather outer/liner combination, and thread type/ color, you are using? It is very attractive thus far, like everything else you've shared.

- Elizabeth

Elizabeth,

Thanks for the compliment.  Since this was just supposed to be a "prototype" I used some 5 oz tandy leather I had.  The liner is pig suede, and the thread is white Coats Barbour Linen 25/3.  I'll probably like it well enough to use it myself, and wish I had used my Hermann Oak or Wickett and Craig leather. :)

YinTx

22 hours ago, billybopp said:

It aint a REAL project until ya bleed on it a lil.

Next barbed wire fence I put up I'm going to have to remember that. I never thought about calling them a REAL project before.:huh: Lots of other unmentionables but REAL just never occurred to me.:popcorn:

2 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

Next barbed wire fence I put up I'm going to have to remember that. I never thought about calling them a REAL project before.:huh: Lots of other unmentionables but REAL just never occurred to me.:popcorn:

You know, when you are bleeding,  $*&t   just got REAL.

:censored2:

YinTx

After the fourth time of sliding the ice pick from hell...er um awl...under my thumb nail...the last one went past the bed of the nail into the first joint i threw the damn thing in the trash and I flat refuse to use those evil things!!!! Will stick to a fid and my hole chisles!!! Not to meantion the neighbor kids do not need to learn more "colourful" words from their yankee nieghbor!!!!

Many leather workers, unlike regular folk,  do not realize that most Band-Aids paper wrappers eventually begin to brown with age.  Check your regular friends medicine cabinet/first aid kits and you'll find this out.  You see, leather, wood, and metal workers cut and stab themselves with alarming regularity.   Regular folk don't do that!  Imagine that!

Oh well .... Who the hell wants to be Regular anyway, I'd rather be %#$* REAL anyday :P    ...:popcorn:

26 minutes ago, RockyAussie said:

Oh well .... Who the hell wants to be Regular anyway, I'd rather be %#$* REAL anyday :P    ...:popcorn:

Lol wife thinks I am crazy asi just use duct tape when bleeding stops the blood and makes stabbing myself just a little harder!!!

Thx for the info. The Tandy leather photographs nicely, if that's any consolation, with a nice color/ variegation. The one time I went to Tandy to see about a sale leather, there was none of that particular product to be found, the "Miscellaneous/Sale" bin was terrible, and the employees were rude; if not for the Internet, I would never have begun leatherwork as a hobby.

Your projects tend to be beautiful, so "prototyping" may not be terribly necessary (until it is, and then you'd be upset about "wasting" materials, so there probably is no winning in this debate). I wish you and your thumb a speedy recovery.

"You see, leather, wood, and metal workers cut and stab themselves with alarming regularity.   Regular folk don't do that!" - Add glassworkers to that list! In addition to being a klutz, far too many of my hobbies involve inadvertent blood donations.

- Elizabeth

On 8/7/2017 at 5:08 PM, YinTx said:

Of course, putting a liner in as an after thought has compromised the edge work, but it is what it is.  Open to comments as I progress!

MusicBag3LoRes.jpg.b9be6197f5ba1aca435a7dd21e385e97.jpg

Oh, yeah, those edges just look like total crap.  --__--  Seriously beautiful work, as always.  Also, you followed the key rule, which is don't bleed on the artwork.  (floors, clothes, and fish are permissible.)

3 hours ago, Grey Drakkon said:

(floors, clothes, and fish are permissible.)

Ha, that's funny, as a kid I used to keep Cichlids that were pretty aggressive, used to feed them ground beef sometimes from the end of my finger. From time to time they would latch on and draw blood