jdm0515

Looking for anvil/steel plate

I'm looking for an anvil or piece of steel plate, mostly for setting rivets on. Harder to find for a reasonable price than I thought it would be. Anyone have anything they would be willing to part with? Or know of a good source where I can find one?

Wander over to your nearest fabrication/welding/machine shop. Take a pack of whatever beer is popular in your area.

The price of real anvils has skyrocketed over the last few years, driven ,I think, by demand from hobby blacksmiths such as myself. By real I mean one forge welded out of wrought iron with a tool steel plate forge welded to the top, from a maker like Peter Wright or Hay Budden. For setting rivets, a cast iron ASO (anvil shaped object) from the third world country of your choice would probably do just fine, or as suggested, a piece of scrap plate from a fabricator. Pieces of railroad track are also frequently used as improvised anvils.

I'm with Matt S above. First try i went in the front door of the office, talked to a manager. I just needed plates to stick over dies to use a shop press as an improvised clicker. He said he's have to run it by the engineer to see what specs I'd need. Yeah right, that'll happen. Under the guise of "just checking back" the next day, a dozen doughnuts to the receptionist got me pointed to the shop crew in the flat stock shed. Told them what i wanted. Javier figured 1" cold rolled stock would be plenty (he was not the engineer). He said he'd had some end cuts by 4:30 and to stop back. Twelve pack o' Bud Light = Javier and Armando loading the pieces cut to sizes I wanted plus a few more, sans invoice.  

We had previously thought, a full sized anvil would be neccesary, but recently found that the Tandy anvil, was perfect for my uses.

I managed to pick mine up, after seeing it, in one of the mail out monthly sale catalogs. Saving me several dollars for other stuff.

https://www.tandyleather.ca/en/product/2-lb-mini-anvil

Chas

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, Squilchuck said:

I have a small anvil from Harbor Freight, I think.  I mainly use a metal plate bought at Lowes hardware. --John 

The blue one? Old faithful for me right there. :) 

I wanted a couple pieces of steel for the weight to clamp leather together while the glue dried.  I went to a local fab shop they had a entire pallet of pieces about 4”x6”x1 3/4” or so laser cut. They did not work for their project.   They are about 40lbs each.   I bought 4 of them for $20 I am thinking about going back for a few more.  

Hobby lobby, of some other art like supply place that sells art, jewelry making stuff like hobby lobby will have the small anvil that your looking for.  But none of that is really needed if you have a Lowes or Home depot they will have something, walk in look around and let your creative juices flow and think about what you could come up in place.  I have had the railroad tie a mini anvil bought and sold more tools than a fool, take your time don't rush it.

Harbor freight has a 55 lb anvil for 65.00 and a 15 lb anvil for 18.00.

wait for the 25% off coupon, problem solved.

ive been using the 55 for years.

In Canada we have a place called the Metal Supermarket. I drop in occasionally and look on the off cut shelf and get plates and flat bar which I use as loop straps etc. all just bought buy the pound a little at a time. flat bar can also be clamped into the vise and reach onto items for hard to get places. I also drop in at my local fabricator and look at his cut off/out pile for odd shaped plates etc. to use or to shoot at!!

I also pick these up when I see them at yard or junk sales and they are great. I have a few so I have ground the shapes so I basically have one to fit almost any odd place I need to get...when I forget to the hammering before assembly or it just isn't possible any other way...

And I picked up an old rail section some where along the way that is useful to.

And yes I have the Tandy anvil but never use it now I have all my other options.

For weigh down work for tracing or gluing etc I have leather covered items like old window weights and even a sledge hammer head....

So lots of economic ways other than buying an "anvil" or a special "craft" plate or what ever folks might call it to charge more. Hope this helps.

shoe last.png

The 2# Tandy anvil is a good paper weight and that's all. 

You need at least a 15# anvil.  See Canadian Tire in Canada, or Harbor Freight in the USA.

Tom

12 hours ago, Northmount said:

The 2# Tandy anvil is a good paper weight and that's all. 

You need at least a 15# anvil.  See Canadian Tire in Canada, or Harbor Freight in the USA.

Tom

Really depends on what you are using it for. The smaller anvil has just the right amount of horn to set rivets in tight spots for me. 

Three and used to be four required for me. The best and most all around is a piece of railroad rail with a horn turned on a big lathe. Small one from Harbor Freight and modified shoe last holder. #4 was horseshoer's anvil also made from railroad rail. Got too old to shoe horses and sold it along with other tools to a young buck just getting started.