Mjolnir

stitching clams or ponys

While it may be wood crafting I like to make my own tools when I can. today I am bending Oak for an English Stitching Clam. I'll add pics soon. Anyone else have advice or want to share?

Line the inside and outside of the jaws with good heavy weight leather, put on flesh side out

Bent some Red Oak today. I went with 6 inch wide planks so I can to a little shaping for elegance.

Clam 2.jpg

That should make a nice stitching pony - did you steam bend the wood?

Very nice, wish I had a steam box.

I do not have a steam box, yet. I boiled the wood in a stock pot for a half hour. (found out by trial that hardwood is what to use). I ratchet strapped one side to my work bench and used a dowel and another strap to pull it down. The wood retained its shape after cooling to room temp. It bent very easily. I then boiled the other side and repeated. All done for the cost of the wood. Can't wait for Lowes to open so I can do the fun part. Saw some weathered pallet wood for accents.

I can't wait to see the rest of the process! Thanks for sharing.

Very nice.  I have been using the cheap Tandy pony myself.  It is very limited due to the bolt clamp setup running right through the middle.  I too cannot wait to see your progress with this.

I love that tool rack. You do some steampunk stuff?

Thanks Turoski. I've allways been an artist. My motto would have to be, "Why buy it if it can be made, if it can be made, make it cool."

Edited by Mjolnir
glitch

My motto would have to be, "Why buy it if it can be made, if it can be made, make it cool."

As you would say on your side of the pond ..
Words to live by :)..
Nice clamps..nice tool rack..nice philosophy ..

Edited by mikesc

Eating popcorn and following along.  Much nicer than the pony I knocked together from scrap.

Too many ideas rolling in my head for such a simple tool. I'm an artist. Not a (traditional) woodworker. All my shaping is being done with a belt sander and a mouse. Wondering if I can pull off some inlay with a dremel tool? Going to use brass snaps to attach the leather. I'll finish this weekend and post on the showoff page.

clam.jpg

Edited by Mjolnir
typo

Looks good!

can't wait to see the finished item! Respect for your skills and imagination.

Geoff

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 3:30 PM, Mjolnir said:

While it may be wood crafting I like to make my own tools when I can. today I am bending Oak for an English Stitching Clam. I'll add pics soon. Anyone else have advice or want to share?

Easier than pie. Just get an inexpensive wallpaper steamer with a tank. Just get some scrap wood planed well enough to make a rectangular box that seals tight. Wood screws torx or square drive screws make it easier to screw it down tight enough to seal better.  Put hinges and latches on the ends so you can easily put something inside to block off the un-used area if the whole length isn't being used. The rest is simply a few plumbing parts or hose adapters. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Wagner-715-Wallpaper-Steamer-0282036/301891395

Way cool,,,

giving me an idea, like that it worked just boiling the wood in a big pot,