samNZJP

Skiving

So has anyone seen that Equus leather wallet video on YouTube? If you haven’t, you should!

anyway, during the video you can see a frame where he’s skived his leather like this. 

I understand skiving, but why would he do this on the top side of the leather instead of the underside?

sam

C0AC2D3A-EB91-4131-92FA-35E484021C18.png

He does a rolled edge from the main body of the wallet that will cover the skiving and make uniform thickness throughout the piece.

I didn't watch that video, but I think he might glue something on this edge (a rolled edge, maybe) and this helps to glue it better (sticks together better than the grain side of leather). 

Edited by gigi

What they said haha. I think he glues the pocket section down and does a bound/rolled edge. The skiving on the top helps glue the pocket and the bound edge will hide it.

I never thought about it but that dude makes the hell out of that wallet. He's like a zenned out Zachary Quinto.

Thanks a lot!

Btw I’m pretty sure he doesn’t roll any of his edges for his wallets

Looks to me like that "top" side is going to become the "bottom" side that he glues the card slots to, then he stitches them together along with the alligator on the outside of the wallet (so then it becomes the "in" side), and he skives it because he wants that edge to be as thin as possible.

On 12/6/2017 at 7:32 PM, LatigoAmigo said:

Looks to me like that "top" side is going to become the "bottom" side that he glues the card slots to, then he stitches them together along with the alligator on the outside of the wallet (so then it becomes the "in" side), and he skives it because he wants that edge to be as thin as possible.

Exactly, you can see that when he puts the pieces together here. I am sure he is just trying to get the stitched edges to be as thin as possible 

On 06/12/2017 at 11:07 PM, samNZJP said:

So has anyone seen that Equus leather wallet video on YouTube? If you haven’t, you should!

anyway, during the video you can see a frame where he’s skived his leather like this. 

I understand skiving, but why would he do this on the top side of the leather instead of the underside?

sam

C0AC2D3A-EB91-4131-92FA-35E484021C18.png

Mostly here I believe that the skived section is for the glue to hold better in place. Often the top finishes on skins does not hold the glue as well.