Sledzep01

Glue without the Stank?

I noticed on the info sheet with the Aquilim 315 (just bought some from Sorrell findings based on this thread : ), it says it works best using a squirt bottle. I was planning to use my 0.45L TS glue pot instead; has anyone had any issues using a TS glue pit for the 315?

I just got mine, I use the glue pot. I tried the brush and the silicone applicator, the brush is very stiff, and becomes stiffer with glue on it. I'm going back to flat bristle brushes. I'll give the silicone applicator another try, but wasn't impressed so far. I use a hair dryer to speed the process, the Aquilim 315 dries much slower than a contact cement like Tanner's Bond. The Aquilim is much more forgiving to misalignment, I can pull it apart within reason, the Tanner's bond pulls leather apart if you try to pull it after the two sides touch. The instructions say if using on leather, to apply to one side and press together, if using on other surfaces, apply to both sides and wait until it goes clear. I did a lining for a checkbook cover the first way, then used the both sides/go clear method when putting the pockets on the lined cover. The second method worked much better for me, I'd like to hear what others have experienced.

Jeff

Thanks @alpha2, appreciate the feedback. From my brief test run, I like the fact it has almost no odor compared to the Barge cement. Do you rinse your bristle brushes after each use, or just leave in the glue pot?

I planned to just leave it in the pot, but decided against using the bristle brush. I just watched the video from the first page. I need to try some tests today. He got an instant bond with applying to one surface. He used a bristle brush but it was black, and I suspect it was synthetic bristles as opposed to the horsehair type I got with the pot. I'll get back to you today with my results.

I didn't mind the smell from the Tanner's Bond, but even with the smallest can available, I'd end up wasting at least a third of the stuff as it hardened up over time. I got a can of the thinner, but that was labor intensive to mix with the hardened stuff, and was a solvent, so, yeah, stank.

8 hours ago, alpha2 said:

I planned to just leave it in the pot, but decided against using the bristle brush. I just watched the video from the first page. I need to try some tests today. He got an instant bond with applying to one surface. He used a bristle brush but it was black, and I suspect it was synthetic bristles as opposed to the horsehair type I got with the pot. I'll get back to you today with my results.

I didn't mind the smell from the Tanner's Bond, but even with the smallest can available, I'd end up wasting at least a third of the stuff as it hardened up over time. I got a can of the thinner, but that was labor intensive to mix with the hardened stuff, and was a solvent, so, yeah, stank.

I apply to only one surface. (Don't use to much glue, a thin layer is enough) if you glue flesh to roughed grain, put the glue on the roughed grain.

i finish with either pressing the pieces together or hammering. After this i have really good bond suitable for continuing my work.

If you need a solvent based glue too for some stuff. Renia have two products i like.

Top-Fit and Colle De cologne. Top-fit is not stringy (or very little) Colle De cologne is better for waxy/oily leathers, but stringy.

thanks for the information! I haven't done any waxy/oily leathers yet, but I will. I can see where the thin layer would be preferable. I usually hammer or use a roller to attach the layers.

9 hours ago, motocouture said:

I noticed on the info sheet with the Aquilim 315 (just bought some from Sorrell findings based on this thread : ), it says it works best using a squirt bottle. I was planning to use my 0.45L TS glue pot instead; has anyone had any issues using a TS glue pit for the 315?

I have my glue in a glue pot (Minor 0.4L)  When i don't use it i store it like this. And before use i shake it a little bit, because it gets a little thicker in consistency

image1.jpeg

But doesn't that take the applicator, (brush, whatever) out of the glue, that is keeping it from hardening on the applicator? Sorry, I just got my pot and applicators, looking for guidance here.

Just now, alpha2 said:

But doesn't that take the applicator, (brush, whatever) out of the glue, that is keeping it from hardening on the applicator? Sorry, I just got my pot and applicators, looking for guidance here.

Yes it does. But it's not hardening. This is what my brush looks like after not being used for a day. Sometimes not in a week.

I don't know what brush you have. Ts-boy looks like a copy of Minor, or maybe it's the same just "rebranded"

image1.jpeg