chrisash

Tiger 25 thread

Why is the price for ritz tiger 25 so expensive?

Is it due to the strength of the tread or just because it has a perceived high value over similar far cheaper threads

In the UK Tiger is about £38 x 500mtr yet Chinese about £8 or less per 250 mtr for waxed thread

I think it's a you get what you pay for kind of thing. Rita is known quality. Chinese EBay what you get is what you get. Might be great might be garbage.

I believe it's because it is braided. Not twisted.

But that's just a guess. No more than one needs, it's not too expensive. A few places have 25 and 75m spools they sell. It cost more per meter, but you can get more colors to try out.

Rocky Mountain Leather Supply has the 25m on a buy 5 get one free basis (6 or 7 bucks, I think). That is where I bought my small spools.

I think Make Supply has the 75m spools.

We've had a few thread threads on here asking the same question.  The general consensus is that the Chinese thread is OK, but Tiger is better and generally worth the extra money.  They are both a woven poly thread, and both are workable.  Chinese thread tends to be a little thinner (what's sold as 1mm is closer to 0.8mm) and flatter, the color isn't always consistent, and it's waxed but not very heavily.  It's still pretty decent to work with but I don't use it for really nice items - more for utility items.  Tiger thread is thicker,  rounder, and a bit stiffer, possibly because its much more heavily waxed.  The color and consistency is spot on.   

So yeah, you get what you pay for.

- Bill

the company that makes tiger theard also makes the string for mini blindes , so they  have lots of experienced in making it to last in UV light . So why it cost more. Because they can. 

Edited by Joseph1836

Its funny but for most things we buy we can find comparison reviews about them so we can see if they are actually value for money or only perceived value that's out of date. Are they really more resistant to UV and has anyone tested the strength?

As a new comer again I am surprised that there appears to be no monthly magazine available for leathercraft, I can find many books on other hobbies from building model boats to weekly shotgun magazines, and ladies have far more on cross stitch and so on, even the printed books seem few  yet leatherwork goes back many hundreds of years

Guess I will have to fumble on and watch more on you tube

Many thanks for the answers so far

Edited by chrisash

48 minutes ago, chrisash said:

Its funny but for most things we buy we can find comparison reviews about them so we can see if they are actually value for money or only perceived value that's out of date. Are they really more resistant to UV and has anyone tested the strength?

As a new comer again I am surprised that there appears to be no monthly magazine available for leathercraft, I can find many books on other hobbies from building model boats to weekly shotgun magazines, and ladies have far more on cross stitch and so on, even the printed books seem few  yet leatherwork goes back many hundreds of years

Please keep in mind, this art form almost completely died out from the early 80's until recently. There are more and more of us each day. But, we are a far cry from being the number of people compared to likes of shotgunning.

1 hour ago, bikermutt07 said:

Please keep in mind, this art form almost completely died out from the early 80's until recently. There are more and more of us each day. But, we are a far cry from being the number of people compared to likes of shotgunning.

off topic but that has never occurred to me. it was a time of spandex and rubber other than eddie murphy's leather suit. (maybe it was pleather?) I still think its a shame how much leather is wasted when we have never stopped eating hamburgers and also hunting is huge. A local tannery is mythological.

On topic I have cheap thread and am ordering some tiger thread. I have never heard a negative thing about it.

2 hours ago, chrisash said:

I agree. Start one please :)

Sorry I have not learnt the differences or names of all the types of leather, so not much good at writing a magazine or giving advice maybe in 40 years but 71 now so might have left it to late

If you look at the banner ads at the top of the page, you'll find "Leather Crafters Journal" .. I don't subscribe myself, but many do.  If you search, you'll find (hope I get the name right)  Russian Leather Craft, which is a Russian language online magazine which offers an English version.

Sadly, traditional magazines are dying out.  But at the same time, there's never been a better way for folks to share information than the internet and sites like this!

- Bill