chrisash

Tandy Round Knife Verses Le Prevo T162

Round knives seem to be very expensive apart from these two which are affordable

Does anyone have any experience of either or even the c.s osborne about double the price 

Sorry don't have any  experience with either of the knives but i believe the Le Prevo is Barnsley Sheffield steel that would be 

my choice. I have a c.s Osborne  a replacement free of charge for one i had for around twenty years great customer service but sadly

the new knife was no where near as good as my old knife. I purchased knipshield Round knife more money than the 

c.s Osborne but worth ever penny.

I see you have just started with leatherwork, for a lot of leatherworkers a good Round knife is essential tool but for a

newcomer to leatherwork they can a little dauting to use but just practice on scrap leather, watch some videos and watch your

fingers. Also try the link below Dixon tools held in high regard, think these are made by former Dixon employees.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SADDLERS-LEATHER-WORK-TOOL-4-ROUND-KNIFE-MADE-IN-ENGLAND/382318977149?hash=item5903fca07d:g:3rAAAOSwWKtUwVNH

Hope this helps JCUK 

Edited by jcuk

The Tandy knife doesn't have enough carbon in the steel to allow it to stay sharp. That's what I was told by (hate to keep beating the dead horse) Terry Knipschield. 

I have had two of them. Both bought used in a bulk buyout. The first I did get sharp (didn't last thru 5 minutes of cutting). The second is still in the package.

Shoot nigel@armitageleather an email. He may know of a decent affordable knife on your side of the pond.

Edited by bikermutt07

3 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

The Tandy knife doesn't have enough carbon in the steel to allow it to stay sharp. That's what I was told by (hate to keep beating the dead horse) Terry Knipschield. 

I have had two of them. Both bought used in a bulk buyout. The first I did get sharp (didn't last thru 5 minutes of cutting). The second is still in the package.

Shoot nigel@armitageleather an email. He may know of a decent affordable knife on your side of the pond.

Yeah, I spend allot of time sharpening and stropping the Tandy knife, when it's fresh it cuts but doesn't last as long as I'd like for sure, I usually use my rotary cutter for all but tight radius cuts then I use the round knife to get those... Unless I have a punch that matches and I'll use that before and smooth out the shape for edges with the Dremel......

On 5/18/2018 at 2:52 PM, jcuk said:

Sorry don't have any  experience with either of the knives but i believe the Le Prevo is Barnsley Sheffield steel that would be 

my choice. I have a c.s Osborne  a replacement free of charge for one i had for around twenty years great customer service but sadly

the new knife was no where near as good as my old knife. I purchased knipshield Round knife more money than the 

c.s Osborne but worth ever penny.

I see you have just started with leatherwork, for a lot of leatherworkers a good Round knife is essential tool but for a

newcomer to leatherwork they can a little dauting to use but just practice on scrap leather, watch some videos and watch your

fingers. Also try the link below Dixon tools held in high regard, think these are made by former Dixon employees.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SADDLERS-LEATHER-WORK-TOOL-4-ROUND-KNIFE-MADE-IN-ENGLAND/382318977149?hash=item5903fca07d:g:3rAAAOSwWKtUwVNH

Hope this helps JCUK 

good morning,

This is Daniel with C.S. OSBORNE & CO, I am sorry to hear that on your replacement. we stand 100% behind our tools and i would ask you to send it back to us and we will retouch your blade and test so you get a great quality tool as your old knife. any questions please feel free to contact us.

Thank you

C.S. OSBORNE & CO

Daniel

I vote for Barnsley. They're proper workman's tools. Tandy tools make me think of those fishing lures, which are better designed to catch the fisherman's wallet than any fish.

George B went out of business 20 years ago but his grandson now produces the same knives under his own company Woodware Repetitions. Abbey England stocks a range.

Daniel

Thank you for message. Sorry not to have got back sooner. 

Your offer is very kind, can you provide an email address so I may contact you directly? 

I must say that i have lots of other Osborne tools that I have had for years and still very happy with them.

Kindest regards

JCUK

19 hours ago, jcuk said:

Daniel

Thank you for message. Sorry not to have got back sooner. 

Your offer is very kind, can you provide an email address so I may contact you directly? 

I must say that i have lots of other Osborne tools that I have had for years and still very happy with them.

Kindest regards

JCUK

good morning,

you may contact me at: cso@csosborne.com

thank you
Daniel
Sales

On 5/18/2018 at 12:34 PM, chrisash said:

Round knives seem to be very expensive apart from these two which are affordable

Does anyone have any experience of either or even the c.s osborne about double the price 

good morning,

this is Daniel with C.S. OSBORNE & CO
do you own a round knife of ours....we would like to know if there is any issue we can address
please email me at: cso@csosborne.com

Thank You
Daniel
Sales 

Hi

Not yet just trying to compare the two yours from h Webber in the UK who sell Osbourn products

5 hours ago, chrisash said:

Hi

Not yet just trying to compare the two yours from h Webber in the UK who sell Osbourn products

good afternoon,

Our #70 is our best seller

Thank you
Daniel
Sales

Hi

Just revisiting this post, I had some spare time and so tried again to sharpen the Osborne round knife and I found it wasn't so much the sharpening I needed to strop more and get a nice polished edge. Which i have now achieved. The knife is now working fine.

I have learnt the lesson of getting a nice polished edge to the tool you are sharpening which takes more time than you imagine.

Hope this helps

JCUK 

An observation..speaking on behalf of myself..
https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/84649-tool-supplier/?tab=comments#comment-583851

my 2cts..

Edited by mikesc

Tut Tut Mike dropping your H's on your link, must come from the smoke before france

https

Edited by chrisash

Thanks for spotting that Chris :) ..I'm cooking dinner whilst posting ( that is what comes of being in France ) ..Not my site here..( belongs to Johanna, we are her guests ) but if it were one of mine, that kind of spamming would have got a pm about businesses that offer no help, no advice, just spam and a suggestion to either become a supporter..or buy some ads ..any subsequent of what I consider ( again just my opinion ) "abuse of hospitality" would get an IP ban..any trying to get around such then would risk a "re-ranch to an optimess"..

ps..I add all "HTML tags" to my posts here by hand..if I allow the boards scripts ( so as to see the interface where clicking on the various choices will add them ) my browser "crashes"..not Johanna's fault.. it is an incompatibility between my machine and browser "configs" ( Linux and heavily customised Firefox ) and the IPS forum software "push" system scripts..

Edited by mikesc

Back to all the fun.... I am liking the offerings from Kevin Lee of Crazy Cut Leather. I don't have one of his head/round knives. But, I now have three of his other styles and would gladly recommend checking h out on eBay or Facebook. 

He has a large following on Facebook and lots of good reviews. Shipping takes a minute, but his stuff (price wise) falls nicely in-between production and custom pieces.