mogwild

Garage sale score.

Friend ran across a garage sale that had some leather tools, asking price was $100obo, he offered $80 on our behalf and picked them up for us. I think we made out pretty well. I'm not into carving and tooling (yet) so I'm not sure what a few of the items are, I'll ask in separate posts with individual pictures (the green handled scissors for instance, not sure if those are leather tools or just some kind of heavy cutters). Not shown are a few old leatherworking books, bunch of buckles, ton's of old patterns, lace, and some light leathers and a pounding board. Also I think there's some woodworking tools tossed in (the wooden red handled tools look like wood carving tools, unsure), as well as pinking shears, and some heavy duty scissors  that are serrated on one side, and what looks like a ring sizing tool.

IMG_20180525_190424.jpg

IMG_20180525_190508.jpg

IMG_20180525_190516.jpg

Some close ups, two of those tools (the ones between the edgers) say 11-2 and 11-3, I think those are creasers?

IMG_20180525_190545.jpg

IMG_20180525_190557.jpg

IMG_20180525_190608.jpg

Few more

IMG_20180525_190618.jpg

IMG_20180525_190621.jpg

IMG_20180525_190629.jpg

key holder things, no idea what's in the red box, not sure what the tool with the leather case is, perhaps a lacing punch?, rotary hole punch (who can't use extra's, always misplacing mine ;) )

IMG_20180525_190648.jpg

These might be...wood burning tips?

IMG_20180525_190701.jpg

IMG_20180525_190728.jpg

IMG_20180525_190736.jpg

Edited by mogwild
adding info

Leather case on the left has a snap setter, the tool beside it I suspect is a wood working tool (perhaps a "spoon"?), and then some random bits of metal, homemade punches maybe? Another snap setter, and the next picture (925), no idea, none. Then a set of heavy duty scissors, not sure if they are leatherworking or not, serrated on one side, very sharp despite needing cleaned up.

IMG_20180525_190756.jpg

IMG_20180525_190801.jpg

IMG_20180525_190925.jpg

IMG_20180525_191038.jpg

Closeup of the scissors, made in Germany, as well as the serrated side, and lastly the pinking shears (assuming they are not leatherworking, just scissors for arts and crafts)

I'll go through the patterns later, but there's far to many to photograph.

IMG_20180525_191046.jpg

IMG_20180525_191052.jpg

IMG_20180525_191113.jpg

SCORE!! you have a good friend. watch out for the gold colored swivel knife blades ( in the red box ), they are rubi blades for carving and are not sold new anymore.  The rubis are fragile. The stamps alone are worth close to what you paid:thumbsup:. Congratulations! 

Oh cool! They actually have red tips, neat.

Yup, they cut cased leather like butter. You are right, some of the tools are for wood but you might be able to adapt some for leather. Most of all have fun and buy your friend a beer!:cheers:

Man, you made out like a bandit!  I can't ID everything, but I've got some educated guesses.

Those green handled shears look like pattern shears I was "given" a long time ago when I made the mistake of going to FIDM.  So heavy shears for cutting tag board and the like.

Next pic has safety skivers, French bevelers and then - yes - creasers.

I agree with your theory that you have a lacing punch.  It looks very similar to a stitching punch (small/tiny holes) that I have.

How exactly does our most used tool (rotary punch) wander off so often anyway?  Mine does the same thing.

The punches in the next picture may have been repurposed from another trade.  I want to say maybe metalwork.  For all I know they are just really old single hole leather punches though.

I think the tool you have no idea on may have been an adjustable creaser that has lost it's adjuster?

I've never heard of scissors serrated on just one side.  I would love to know what they're intended use is.

Hope this helped a little.

Yeah, you did well, or your friend did. I bought a lot half that size in not as good of shape for twice as much and still made out. When you are ready to learn carving and stamping you are far beyond a good start. Congrats on the most excellent haul!

Helps lots. Just getting into working with veg tan leather (mostly so I can learn and get better at using the Randall harness machine) making belts, knife sheaths and small pouches, (my first, second and third projects below, be gentle ;) I hand't learned what an edge beveler was when I did the knife sheaths, next ones, will be beveled. And yes, that's a Bic lighter case, I was excited to attempt wet molding and dying for the first time and it was the first thing within reach on the bench....) so most of the hand tools are foreign to me. I have the basics like strap cutters, end punches, awls, etc but all this stuff was a package deal so I guess I'm going to try it out further. There are three leather tooling swivel knifes, not sure why a fellow would have needed so many (maybe setup with different tips for a tooling session?).

image000000_14.jpg

IMG_20171218_134906.jpg

IMG_20180515_194344.jpg

IMG_20180515_194415.jpg

Edited by mogwild

Oh, well, swivel knives have a tendency to multiply. I have two and rarely use either and often find myself strolling through pages looking for new ones. They are highly variable per the individual using them. Comfort, feel, control. It all comes into play and then you get into different setups for ease of use/speed. Just search this site for "swivel knife" and you'll see some people with a lot more than four.

Also some people have lots of swivel tools so they don't have to pause their tooling to switch blades.  Different angles on the blades will get you different things, as will different widths (both as a measure of blade length and blade thickness).  And as Battlemunky said, the tools will each have their own "personality" so you might find you like a heavier bodied swivel for one blade, and a lighter or thicker body for another.

Ah, so never feed them after midnight, never leave two in the same drawer together, that kind of thing... :) . Understood, that's how we ended up with 7 stitching machines.

Nice score!  I'll bet you can sell of what you won't use and get your money back.  I saw a Craigslist ad from a guy selling off some leather and tools and responded.  Turned out he had gobs of veg tan leather, a granite slab and a host of tools he was happy for me to take.  I felt a little embarrased, but happy!  

The green handled shears are tin-smiths shears

Another picture 'unknown' ; and adjustable edger, loosen the knurled ring, the other part should screw up  into, and down from, the handle, then use knurled ring to lock it in place

More answers, awesome. Thanks guys.

That mystery one, with the knurled locking ring, looks like my adjustable V-groover. 

Jeff

On 5/25/2018 at 8:43 PM, mogwild said:

IMG_20180525_190925.jpg

That's an adjustable depth gouge, for the flesh side for making sharp bends (I use one on the inside bends of 3-ring notebooks).  That looks like a "U", but they are also widely available with a "V".  Rather like a 'miter' on a piece of wood...

Interesting, thanks. 

Some more items I'm not sure about, some kind of red handled crimper, perhaps not leather related

Then a double sided.. Something or other, the tube on it might not be original, it sides of easily, perhaps added for extra grip. The two ends are opposite to each other, maybe a smooth stamp, or not leather related at all?

IMG_20180527_194220-600x800.jpg

IMG_20180527_192441-800x600.jpg

IMG_20180527_192432-800x600.jpg

IMG_20180527_192417-800x600.jpg

Edited by mogwild

Some of the books a patterns, there are...lots. See how thick they are in the first shot

And last shot, just for fun, look how old that price tag looks, when's the last time Tandy sold Glovers needles for 29¢ :)

IMG_20180527_195802-600x800.jpg

IMG_20180527_195849-600x800~2.jpg

IMG_20180527_194126-800x600~2.jpg

Edited by mogwild

Red handled tool is wire strippers.  The numbers referring to side gauge.  

-Bill

Edited by billybopp

Awesome! Going in the non-leather tools pile, thanks.

1 hour ago, mogwild said:

IMG_20180527_192432-800x600.jpg

I think this is just a different type of modelling spoon.  Or rather, I think it has similar uses, and I think you can use it to lift leather tooled edges a bit.