Ragingstallion

harder than it looks

I never really considered how much work goes into certain projects. Sheridan and other forms of floral carving seem to be the most common when it comes to leather craftsmanship. We see it everywhere but I never understood how much work really goes into it. This is my first attempt and I'm still not done with this one piece but it is the back of a purse I am doing for my mother as a present.

Image-8639.jpg

So far so good. Keep us posted! :) ...and people wonder why tooled leather products are so "expensive".

-Ryan

That's usually why we have to give it away to loved ones or friend's or keep it ourselves as no one would pay for the labor time we have in the project:)

Nice work!

Sam

My hands are a sore, gnarled, and twisted mess just thinking about how long that took....which looks good so far!

Floral tooling is the most tedious aside from perhaps celtic work.   Don't stop now!

where does Sheridan style come from originally, it seems a strange plant

12 hours ago, battlemunky said:

My hands are a sore, gnarled, and twisted mess just thinking about how long that took....which looks good so far!

Imagine doing this with my hands and arms, arthritis, carpel-tunnel a tendonitis. I love leather working, but can only do it for so long before my hands freeze up.

15 hours ago, Rolandranch said:

So far so good. Keep us posted! :) ...and people wonder why tooled leather products are so "expensive".

-Ryan

although not a good picture, but it is coming along. Kind of at a stand still point as to what to do next. I will figure it out though, picked up a few helping booklets from tandys to give me ideas. appreciate the reply

9 hours ago, immiketoo said:

Floral tooling is the most tedious aside from perhaps celtic work.   Don't stop now!

well, although I have not done a large piece of fine detail celtic work, my bracer, and my work space mouse pad have both been tooled with celtic designs. I much prefer to do celtic tooling than this.

13 hours ago, ComputerDoctor said:

That's usually why we have to give it away to loved ones or friend's or keep it ourselves as no one would pay for the labor time we have in the project:)

Nice work!

Sam

well, not really a problem giving it away. even my first commission I did, all I had him pay for was the materials. I do not find my work anywhere near decent enough to start selling for the labor portion of it. but thank you

Very nicely done!  I suspect there are an extremely small percentage of leather workers who can demand and receive the appropriate prices for their leather carving.   However, for those of us who do not fall into that category, it remains a passion and we continually strive to improve.  Keep on keeping on! 

On ‎14‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 11:07 PM, chrisash said:

it seems a strange plant

I believe this plant is called an Acanthus Lilly. It really lends itself to this type of carving and stamping.

Doing a google search on Acanthus Lilly does not show any likeness, so must be either Heraldic or just highly stylised

On 6/14/2018 at 11:07 AM, chrisash said:

where does Sheridan style come from originally, it seems a strange plant

I suspect that floral carving has been around for about as long as people have been decorating leather.  A quick search online will find some examples of floral pattern leather covered chests and trunks that are several hundred years old.   

The Sheridan style, though, is relatively new as I understand it.  The style is characterized by circular swirling patterns that flow one into another, and originated around mid 20th century in the area of Sheridan, Wyoming.  

Acanthus leaves have been used as an artistic motif for millennia, and by this point are very stylized.  In architecture, if you look at the top of Corinthian columns you'll see stylized Acanthus .. And they show up in a lot of other ancient artwork.  No doubt they showed up in ancient leatherwork too.

- Bill

20 hours ago, chrisash said:

Doing a google search on Acanthus Lilly does not show any likeness, so must be either Heraldic or just highly stylised

When I did a search for Acanthus Lilly, I had hundreds, if not thousands of images come up, but some were quite different to the Sheridan style carving, so I am guessing the images might have been some Acanthus pics and some lilly pics.

Some of the Acanthus pics were slightly similar to Sheridan cared pics ... if you squint ... and the pic is small. So, @chrisash I am guessing your assessment of highly stylised is probably correct.

Just an update on this project, still a ways off, next step on this piece is tan antique finish. Picture is still crappy though

Image-6090.jpg

And the backing is finished, now to start working on the other pieces of this gift.

Purse back.jpg

Great work. I know how you feel. I just started taking Enbrel for my Arthritis. I don’t want to start on any tooling project.You do good work.

jim

1 hour ago, toe2short said:

Great work. I know how you feel. I just started taking Enbrel for my Arthritis. I don’t want to start on any tooling project.You do good work.

jim

thank you. and yes, having these problems is a pain in the ass, however, even doing it a little at a time, you can still enjoy it and get the job done.

That’s damn good looking, can’t imagine the patience it took to get through it! Very lovely.

On 16/06/2018 at 2:29 PM, billybopp said:

I suspect that floral carving has been around for about as long as people have been decorating leather.  A quick search online will find some examples of floral pattern leather covered chests and trunks that are several hundred years old.   

The Sheridan style, though, is relatively new as I understand it.  The style is characterized by circular swirling patterns that flow one into another, and originated around mid 20th century in the area of Sheridan, Wyoming.  

Acanthus leaves have been used as an artistic motif for millennia, and by this point are very stylized.  In architecture, if you look at the top of Corinthian columns you'll see stylized Acanthus .. And they show up in a lot of other ancient artwork.  No doubt they showed up in ancient leatherwork too.

- Bill

I actually did a bunch of research into this, at least for the 10th-15th centuries floral patterns, like acanthus scrolls, crop up all over the place, along with a lot of basic geometric patterns and a lot of animals. All much more basic though, and not ‘carved’ as such as there’s no cutting for the most part, just impression with blunt tools. 

It took me 4 hours to design and tool a name once. Looking back it seems impossible but it was so.

In between my larger products I will spy a piece of nice looking scrap laying around and just decide to fool around with maybe a floral design and some tooling, burnishing and several coats of dyes after buffing to achieve an Antique look and DAYS later that quick little fun LABOR INTENSIVE, off the wall project of 6 by 6 inches, ends up sitting under a dripping coffee cup! Oh the humanity:)

I like your work there RagingStallion:)

Sam