CutThumb

First attempt at tooling

So I had a go at tooling... I don't have a swivel knife so I used a scalpel, and the only stamps I have are a pear shaped crisscross thing (that is the right name yeah?), aand crescent shaped camouflage one. Oh, I have a modellers spoon, but it was cheap and I realise now it needs filing and shaping. 

I cased it with a little dish soap/washing up liquid in cold water, and smoothed it down with a folder - saw this in only one video but thought I'd give it a go. It's a attempt at a free hand acanthus leaf, and it's pretty damn shoddy, but I enjoyed it and will practice more.

IMG_4507.JPG

If you can do that with a scalpel, imagine how much better it will be with a swivel knife!

That's basically what I started with, years ago -- one Xacto blade, a modeling spoon, an awl, and needles. I didn't have bevellers or a pear shader (which is what your pear-shaped criss-cross thing is).
The whole point here is that you enjoyed it, and you're excited to keep going! On to the next project!

Looking good for a 1st effort with almost no tools, onwards and upwards from here.

On 05/09/2018 at 11:24 PM, SaddleBags said:

If you can do that with a scalpel, imagine how much better it will be with a swivel knife!

Definitely my next purchase. Is it worth getting a cheap one y about with or should I bite the bullet and get something more professional?

On 05/09/2018 at 11:50 PM, DJole said:

That's basically what I started with, years ago -- one Xacto blade, a modeling spoon, an awl, and needles. I didn't have bevellers or a pear shader (which is what your pear-shaped criss-cross thing is).
The whole point here is that you enjoyed it, and you're excited to keep going! On to the next project!

Is there a general sized beveller i should start with? There's a large selection.

Pretty good for a first timer :) 

I started with absolutely no knowledge of leather craft whatsoever , the yellow pages,   a handful of  cheap second hand tools from one of only two leather craft shops in Perth,  3 hrs drive from me,  I  then later  progressed to a  basic seven piece set...and some boot polish . That was it, I was hooked. 

' Health warning: Leather craft is addictive and may cause frequent &  sudden bursts of creativity ' 

HS  :) 

Having fun is definitely the key.

I don't think a cheap set from Amazon or eBay is a bad investment in the beginning. 

You'll learn what you want to use more of and what to replace and more importantly what not to replace when you move up to the more expensive ones.

Also, as you move up in the world keep in mind the quality of leather is also extremely important.

Good luck and keep having fun.

What they said.

13 hours ago, CutThumb said:

Is there a general sized beveller i should start with? There's a large selection.

Well, it depends on what you are doing.
If you are doing long straight lines, or gentle curves, a wide beveler will work. Some are *really wide*. But if you are doing sharp curves, or intricate lines close to each other, a small thin beveler is what you want. 

And then there are textured bevelers, in different widths.

Then there are undercut bevelers, to make a deeper bevel. 

Then, for very specific patterns, you can get curved bevelers, and even triangle bevelers! I don't have any of these. 

Just starting out, you need to take the time to learn the basics of how to create a smooth beveled line, how to walk the tool and angle it correctly. Of course, those things only work if you case the leather properly, and if you are using a good quality tooling leather!
See the graphic below for a quick overview:

b99da435a7f6dafd41bab3cd668632e9.jpg
So, it makes sense to start out with a "vanilla" beveler which you will likely use most of the time, of medium width, like the one labeled as craftool B-200 shown above (which may not be the current number).
The one I started with is a Craftool B203, purchased over 25 years ago.
Later on, once I figured that I needed them,  then I added the very thin B935, then later on the textured B936. Just this last year, at a sale I picked up the undercut bevelers B892 and B60).
But note the key point: I didn't buy those other ones until I decided I needed them for a project. 

I give you a thumbs up you didn't have the tools but you still went for it

Thanks for the great replies! I have a medium beveler now, going to try it out tomorrow.

Great start! I like the "bubbles" - did you aim for that or was it a happy accident?

As for a beveler, if you have access to a grinder, why not grind down a carriage bolt? Carriage bolts make quite usable tools if you get the shape right.