ComputerDoctor

Sailrite Fabricator Sewing Machine.

Is this machine workable on leather projects short of Saddles? I believe it takes 138 thread as the maximum it will use. I make Holsters, Knife Sheaths, thick cowboy type wallets, briefcases and journals, with nothing over about 3/8 inch combined thickness. I want to do decorative sewing on belt blanks also. I have been told that in my HOBBY shop, that a Cowboy 3200 or a Cobra class 3/4 would be overkill, so I need some opinions please:)

Sam

When I spoke to one of the clone  companies they stated they had only tried it on 2 x 1.6mm veg tan which they thought was the maximum, and that was without the upgrade heavy wheel that Sailrite add among other bits

The Sailrite Fabricator is a flat bed versus the Cowboy and Cobra are cylinder machines which can be made into flat bed machine with a table top accessory. If you need the punching power because of the thickness / type of the leather and need 138 thread regularly. Go with a Cowboy or Cobra then add a table top. If you are using mostly thinner / softer leather or other materials and maxing out on 138 thread then look at the Juki 1541s and then get a used cylinder machine for the occasional need.

I looked at a lot of Juki clones and figured that since most of my stuff falls into the maxing out on 138 thread and this would be my main machine I would cry once, buy once. I purchased the best I could afford, a new Juki 1541s and now I am waiting for the right priced (cheap) well loved cylinder machine to come along for the occasional need. The Juki 1541s with a Kobe 550 watt servo motor is a nice little machine. It creeps along as slow as I want through the max material I can fit under the foot and I have even forced material under the foot without any hand spinning the belt wheel, machine baulking, struggle or speed jerking from the start in both straight runs or curves. I am pleased and sometimes impressed with the Juki.

kgg

I owned a Fabricator. Nice machine for what it is built for - heavy canvas, sails, upholstery and light leather. It is NOT a dedicated leather machine. The machine head itself is nice and Sailrite tunes it perfectly, and the Sailrite motor is great. However, if your hobby includes sheaths, holsters etc then the Sailrite machine will struggle punching through some of that. It *can* do it occasionally but it's not built for it and hammering it with heavy leather projects will wear it out prematurely.

I would look at something like Artisan's copy of the Juki 1508H or a similar machine if you wanted to go for a reasonably priced heavy flatbed, or just go for the Cowboy 3200 and don't let anyone put limits on your hobby.

You say nothing over 3/8", but I'll bet that if you get a machine that can do a bit thicker then you'll end up doing just that. A 3200 "might" be struggling to do really light stuff (in which case buy an old domestic machine for that) but overall it's probably the closest we hobbyists can get to a good all-round machine. If you make stuff heavier than it can handle then you're getting into the realms of the heavy stuff - the 4500/441 machines.

A 3200 would probably be the ideal machine for what I do - only problem is the cost.

Sorry it looks like i confused it with the cheaper sailrite version ultrafeed

On 9/16/2018 at 5:43 PM, kgg said:

The Sailrite Fabricator is a flat bed versus the Cowboy and Cobra are cylinder machines which can be made into flat bed machine with a table top accessory. If you need the punching power because of the thickness / type of the leather and need 138 thread regularly. Go with a Cowboy or Cobra then add a table top. If you are using mostly thinner / softer leather or other materials and maxing out on 138 thread then look at the Juki 1541s and then get a used cylinder machine for the occasional need.

I looked at a lot of Juki clones and figured that since most of my stuff falls into the maxing out on 138 thread and this would be my main machine I would cry once, buy once. I purchased the best I could afford, a new Juki 1541s and now I am waiting for the right priced (cheap) well loved cylinder machine to come along for the occasional need. The Juki 1541s with a Kobe 550 watt servo motor is a nice little machine. It creeps along as slow as I want through the max material I can fit under the foot and I have even forced material under the foot without any hand spinning the belt wheel, machine baulking, struggle or speed jerking from the start in both straight runs or curves. I am pleased and sometimes impressed with the Juki.

kgg

KGG-- how are you still liking your Juki 1541? Im on the market for a machine. Was looking at the Sailrite Fabricator but I did some research and also read this thread..I called a local guy near me and he mentioned the Juki 1541 to me. Also not crazy about the price for my first personal machine.. (im a shoe cobbler and have plenty experience w/ sewing at the shop, but I dont have a leather machine for my own use)... but i will bite the bullet and pay for what i gotta pay for. I havent went to try out the Juki just yet, i plan to this week. Just looking for feedback from someone who has the machine.

Lance

38 minutes ago, LanceM said:

KGG-- how are you still liking your Juki 1541? Im on the market for a machine. Was looking at the Sailrite Fabricator but I did some research and also read this thread..I called a local guy near me and he mentioned the Juki 1541 to me. Also not crazy about the price for my first personal machine.. (im a shoe cobbler and have plenty experience w/ sewing at the shop, but I dont have a leather machine for my own use)... but i will bite the bullet and pay for what i gotta pay for. I havent went to try out the Juki just yet, i plan to this week. Just looking for feedback from someone who has the machine.

Hi Lance,

I have found that my Juki 1541S has meet / exceeded my expectations with no problems (knock on wood) other then the dumb pedal user. If I can force it under the presser foot it will sew it. Most of my stuff incorporates hard back 1200 gsm Sherpa, high density rubber, ripstop material all of which is dog related. In the topic " Work Bench Lighting" you can see in the second photo the off-white Sherpa that is just shy of about 2" (the beginnings of a dog bed). I just completed a custom sized one two days ago for a client that was just over 2" thick. When this material was compressed down it just managed to fit under the foot. As far as leather I have only done a couple of layers of light upholstery leather. The machine still amazes me as to what abuse I can ask of it.

If the Juki will do the job I would advise you to get the Juki 1541"S" which has the built in safety clutch not the Juki 1541, it could save you a repair bill down the road. Also don't forget to bring some samples of the thickness plus a bit of what you are planning on using.

kgg

kgg

1 hour ago, LanceM said:

I called a local guy near me and he mentioned the Juki 1541 to me. Also not crazy about the price for my first personal machine.

You may be better off buying a Consew 206RB-5 than a Juki DNU-1541. Some buyers have reported repeated problems with that Juki model (problem 1problem 2,   problem 3).

Your area I believe is fortunate and has some dealers. Some are frequently on the forum here. 

Your capability sounds like a real benefit to many of us.  An interest I have in trying to help answer is your actual machine usage. 

I have an answer and still want to say there are many used machines in storage or basements looking for new owners. 

As always smart reasons to talk with brick and motar companies is the personal walk in option. With that the first sew machine dealers I ever talked to are mentioned also on this forum frequently. 

I really do appreciate and respect these dealers here, and that I have purchased items from. With some of their assistance in peices and parts like motors, needles, table tops and reducers they have moved my basement, garage, gov surplus and in a barn sewing machine purchases to a success for my needs.

To make this post complete, this specific forum has been my go to for machine tech. and learning my patience in particular learning my machines tips and tricks. 

Good day

Floyd

Wiz that is great info on the bobbin case problems so far it seems I have been lucky. I have not experience the bobbin case related issue but the info about the problem and solutions may well come in handy down the road. Maybe my machine was setup properly in the beginning at the dealer and/or dumb luck coupled with putting a drop of oil in the basket / hook area often doesn't hurt, weekly cleaning out of the basket / hook area to remove lint etc. and always installing a new bobbin with the machine titled back to ensure that it correctly snaps in place. Cann't seem to get my fingers down into the slide plate properly and don't like doing it blindly by feel from underneath while trying to get my fingers through the opening in the bottom tray.

kgg

I recall this topic way back from his personal web site, and back then the photo post were excellent. I had then gained a real interest in the article and or post. 

I appreciated when Gregg kicked it up a notch and helped clarify this sometimes issue. No matter what when new post similar in equipment we ourselves have, well we key into these a bit more. 

At this time I havent had this problem, on either style Juki 1541 machine heads running in the shop. I try hard to recall but cannot seem to nail it down yet.

Anyway I think this particular part; the hook support plate may have an optional heavier duty part. This I can be blamed ( totally fine ) although Our friend Gregg may straighten me out on this. Im not positive if this is my ocd or my crs. :huh:

Again just helping in saying a machine choice in Juki 1541s  or standard 1541 is a new head designed machine, it has a feed movement thats beyond new, its rectangular motion on the feed dog pulling the material vs older other designs. I being new and a green horn in 2012 got down crackin the brochures on newer designs and why. 

Im not silly, and We all know the old singers and copies have sewn trillions of yards of material all over the world. My mechanical background although retired. Leads me to look at machines of all kinds respectfully.

Interesting though is if machines are leading in the factory sewing industry we as purchasers should take a look. So in several model numbers this Juki 15xx series is and haazz filled the factories a lot. Lets face it this 15series machine head is likely the latest cloning machine we know in laymen eyes like mine. 

You might consider I like these 15series model machines from Juki. You would be correct, in that I long ago picked up on a phrase that cost!

Its;  Go Pro or Go Home

https://www.juki.co.jp/industrial_e/download_e/catalog_e/dnu1541.pdf

Edited by brmax

My first real machine was a 1541S that I bought new from Gregg. (based on recommendations from this forum) The sale and shipping was easy and without a hitch. I love that machine and it has performed flawlessly. I have two 206RB's that I picked up since then that I like very much, but they don't compare to the Juki. I don't think you can go wrong with a Juki 1541S as long as your needs don't go beyond 138 thread and material thicker that 3/8".

perfect. thank you all for the replies. I was reading thoroughly through everyones input. Now Im checking out the Cowboy 3200.

I really like the cylinder arm and thought I needed that specifically (after researching/watching videos) One item I make alot: leather bags and find the cylinder arm helpful for the insides of course. At my shop we use a Claes 30 model stitcher. Sewing bags on that is a breeze. 

All your responses are very helpful. Also taking note to check out if there are any used machines in basements or storages.