Retswerb

Leather identification help?

I found this leather in a local “creative reuse” store and liked the look. It’s quite thin and has almost no stretch at all. I’m making a wallet out of it, applied the dye fairly light to accentuate the texture. Can anybody tell me what it is? More pics available if needed, of course.

95C1AFE3-7CE4-45F7-B3E9-C72EAF24E5D1.jpeg

I am just guessing. 

Maybe a vegtan split that has been embossed?

Or maybe vegtan pig?

I agree with @bikermutt07, it's some sort of pig. I'd lean towards a chrome split but it's difficult to tell from a picture and almost impossible to say for certain. Does it react to water in any significant way?

Looks like pig to me. Can't tell if it's vegtan or other though. If it took dye really well, likely vegtan. Sometimes pig has a bit of a different smell to it as well.

I had a couple of plucked chickens that looked like that, but skin was to thin to be that shown, if it helps:lol::lol::lol:

It is a haircell pig leather.  It may be veg-tan but it is split for sure.  The side of the skin being shown to us is the flesh side so it would accept dye either way as is almost suede like on that side when split.

^^^^^^expert^^^^^^

It looks like our (Tandy) pigskin suede, we have two colors just like this.

Thanks guys! I forgot to come back earlier and respond but I appreciate the feedback. I’ve had it confirmed as pigskin by a couple knowledgeable types who saw it in person. The wallet didn’t turn out perfect but it’s done me well so far.

DEA58BD8-6D58-4D5E-B6C1-5A5E0EF9F1DB.jpeg

I'm a bit late to the party, but pigskin has a distinctive tyre hair follicle pattern on pigskin, which is evident if you zoom into the pictures.

It looks like "..." all over the skin.

Some cow splits are plated with this pattern, but the follicles are much more even when it's a patterned cowhide.

Also it looks like a sueded split, but also there's no tell tale coloration on the edges, so I'd also suggest a mainly veg tan, possibly a mixed tannage.

I love pigskin and have a coin purse that has had daily use, in a pocket with a billfold and keys since 1986, and has only just started to look tired.

9 hours ago, hwinbermuda said:

I love pigskin and have a coin purse that has had daily use, in a pocket with a billfold and keys since 1986, and has only just started to look tired.

Starting to look tired after only 11,300+ days of use? I'd complain to the manufacturer, clearly defective! :lol::rolleyes:;)

the leather was saddle skirting, fully stuffed from Sharp and Woollard in Stony Stratford, UK and I only recently found a pigskin that (almost) matches it. So I will be making another using a cuir bouillon method in a couple of weeks.

H

22 minutes ago, hwinbermuda said:

Sharp and Woollard in Stony Stratford

According to Google they were bought out by Claytons in '98, if'n you were looking for another piece ;) I do hope that the Clayton's group can be saved.

Could not find the stuffed pigskin when I visited, unfortunately.

H

Hi

Yes I miss Sharp and Woollard in Stony Stratford too, I purchased some nice bridle butts from them around '97, I went to the tannery myself and chose them. I think it is the best bridle butt i have ever purchased, it was nice to work with, and to cut, and I still have a bridle made from it going strong today. 

I agree I hope Claytons group can be saved.

JCUK