MommaMiia

Adler 267 GK373 Buying first sewing machine please help!

Hi there. I came across this website searching for information on Adler sewing machines. I don't have any experience with industrial type sewing machines, but I am looking to purchase my first one. I have two Adler 267 gk373's about 20 miles away from me that I am interested in for the walking foot feature. I have read that parts and things are more expensive and harder to come by. With this in mind the price for each is only $900. From what I see that is a decent price for an Adler. The owner says that he purchased them a year ago from a factory that was closing down where they were used every day. They don't know much about the machine and said one seems to run fine and thinks the others timing is off because the needle won't grab the thread from the bobbin. I have googled some of Uwe Ross' videos explaining how to fix two of the possible problems and it seems fairly simple. While the sewing machines are the same model they look slightly different. The logo is different and the tack on one of the machines looks homemade or something because the edges are so jagged. Could you guys take a look at the pictures attached and tell me what you think? I'm supposed to go look at them today, but I would like to know which machine I should go for to get a good deal considering everything. Any information you could tell me about what the different serial numbers and tacks mean is very appreciated. I want to be semi ready to negotiate a price. Any haggling advice is appreciated as well. Thank you so much for your time.

Screenshot_20181013-043041.png

07a3c892976e10d4adf5bd666dc5ac6c.0.jpg

Screenshot_20181013-043051.png

0a9249b4fed9af4c6c3bb51d7f193dfc.0.jpg

It is to difficult to see the machines in your photos.

The top photo shows more paint off the flat of the machine. I would tilt each back, remove the belt and then the thread from the needle then turn by hand the hand/pulley wheel to get a feel for the ease of operation as you turn.

With that information a bit of information on the power voltage supply requirement and then motor type and or style, clutch or servo motor.

For sure an operational check on each is a great thing. As you mentioned pieces and parts are expensive on this brand, you can consider it fact, though its still in my opinion, its because when new they are simply better. 

With that you should consider "true" factory usage, its a good and interesting topic in many ways this production is. 

good day

Floyd

From the first picture it might have a small post on it, just not enough clarity to see

Not sure which side of the pond you're on. Some of the links below may not be local to you.

The Adler 267 is a great design and a desirable machine if it's complete and serviceable. Many wear parts are readily available (https://www.college-sewing.co.uk/store/Durkopp-Adler-267-Sewing-Machine-Parts) and not very expensive.

Durkopp Adler still sells the DA 267 brand new for around £1390 pounds. The machines are now made in China, but with good quality control that should not really be a problem. A new machine may be a better starting point if you're new to industrial sewing machines.

When looking at the used machines, make sure they're complete (take some printed photos for reference), it should turn over smoothly, all levers should work.  Check thread tension release when lifting the feet (Tension disk should separate a tiny bit).  The needlebar/rockerbar-frame should have very little play when wiggling it. Check the hook for a nice, smooth and pointy tip - if the hook tip is broken or worn flat that's $200 negotiation room right there. If possible, take the belt off the hand wheel, remove the thread and lift the feet. Then give the handwheel a good spin. Nice machines will spin easily and keep spinning for a turn or so after letting go of the handwheel. If it doesn't spin easily, that's negotiating fodder, but may only need oil to resolve. Ideally they can demo the machine sewing. If it doesn't make a stitch, that's worth $200 in adjustment work for negotiating purposes.

Edited by Uwe

53 minutes ago, Uwe said:

Not sure which side of the pond you're on. Some of the links below may not be local to you.

IP address is for Frohna, Missouri

@MommaMiia it's a good idea to include your location in your profile so more relevant information can be given that fits your location in this global world we live in.

Tom

Here's a link to a US based vendor for a brand new Durkopp Adler 267 for $1,840 with free shipping: https://store.keysew.com/catalog/product/6890ef49ffbd4d54b0f7841c46f156be

You're also close to Nick-O-Sew in Herculaneum, just south of St. Louis. Having a local service resource is priceless.

Edited by Uwe