Recommended Posts

Hi folks,

I thought I'd share a picture of a portfolio for a scheduler that I just finished for a colleague.  Definite flaws in it, I especially need to work those eyes a little more, but all in all, I thought it turned out ok.  

Jack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No pic bud

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jack1970 said:

Hi folks,

I thought I'd share a picture of a portfolio for a scheduler that I just finished for a colleague.  Definite flaws in it, I especially need to work those eyes a little more, but all in all, I thought it turned out ok.  

Jack

Your photo???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry folks, here's a pic.

Screen Shot 2018-10-25 at 4.22.06 AM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Jack1970 said:

Sorry folks, here's a pic.

Screen Shot 2018-10-25 at 4.22.06 AM.png

I really like the dye work and the cleanliness of the lettering. Can you walk me through your process for getting such a clean two-tone effect?  Thanks in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That looks great! Whatever finish you used looks really nice!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Leebroox said:

I really like the dye work and the cleanliness of the lettering. Can you walk me through your process for getting such a clean two-tone effect?  Thanks in advance.

Thanks @Leebroox for your kind words!  Sure!  After tooling I oiled it real well with olive oil and let that dry out some.  Then, I used two coats of Fiebing's dark brown dye mixed with Fiebing's dye reducer.  I just used a paint brush and a dauber.  When it was dry, I buffed it like crazy with a soft cloth and a soft brush.  Then I used Angelus Matte Finisher followed by Angelus Med. Brown Antique.  After all that dried, I used leather sheen as a top coat.  The interior is just Fiebing's dark brown with a dauber and Angelus Leather Balm.

2 hours ago, battlemunky said:

That looks great! Whatever finish you used looks really nice!

Thanks for the encouraging feedback @battlemunky!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow looks great to me! The only thing I can see is maybe just a little tight on your stitching on the bottom, or maybe you haven't hammered it flat yet? Your stitching is very clean. Great looking project your buddy will love it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is beautiful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great looking portfolio! That little man sure looks relieved to be free from the chains, eyes and all... :rolleyes:

The letter work is a real classy piece of work - is it stamped with a stamp set, or carved?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/26/2018 at 6:58 PM, Bigfoote said:

Wow looks great to me! The only thing I can see is maybe just a little tight on your stitching on the bottom, or maybe you haven't hammered it flat yet? Your stitching is very clean. Great looking project your buddy will love it!

Thanks, @Bigfoote!  I appreciate your comments!  I got curious about that stitching and apparently that pic was before I hammered the stitches flat.  I found another pic where it didn't look so tight there on the bottom left.  I fussed with that thing quite a bit before I took it to work. lol

On 10/26/2018 at 10:38 PM, ScoobyNewbie said:

That is beautiful.

Thanks for the kind words @ScoobyNewbie!

15 hours ago, Riem said:

Great looking portfolio! That little man sure looks relieved to be free from the chains, eyes and all... :rolleyes:

The letter work is a real classy piece of work - is it stamped with a stamp set, or carved?

Thanks for your kind comments @Riem! It's weird that he doesn't have eyes, isn't it? lol!  I carved the letters.  I copied and traced them, along with the logo, from my friend's website.  

Screen Shot 2018-10-28 at 6.25.41 AM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The eyes don't bother me as much as the thin neck... With the size of that head, no wonder the little chap is bending over backwards... But you did a fabulous job replicating the logo and lettering, really! The value of such a once off piece, especially as a gift, is surely... priceless!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Riem said:

The eyes don't bother me as much as the thin neck... With the size of that head, no wonder the little chap is bending over backwards... But you did a fabulous job replicating the logo and lettering, really! The value of such a once off piece, especially as a gift, is surely... priceless!

Hahaha!  Yeah, I kind of put the project off for a while because I didn't know if I could tool it and make it look like the original, or much like anything at all. Finally, I just bit the bullet to get it done and took the risk of ruining a big piece of leather. Thanks again for you comments!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/27/2018 at 12:12 AM, Jack1970 said:

Thanks @Leebroox for your kind words!  Sure!  After tooling I oiled it real well with olive oil and let that dry out some.  Then, I used two coats of Fiebing's dark brown dye mixed with Fiebing's dye reducer.  I just used a paint brush and a dauber.  When it was dry, I buffed it like crazy with a soft cloth and a soft brush.  Then I used Angelus Matte Finisher followed by Angelus Med. Brown Antique.  After all that dried, I used leather sheen as a top coat.  The interior is just Fiebing's dark brown with a dauber and Angelus Leather balm.

Thanks! I’ve only been doing leather work for about a year now and I’m having trouble locking down a good dyeing/coloring process. This was the most recent book cover I did and I have not figured out how to get that clean two-tone effect without the darks bleeding into the lights... thanks for your pointers. I’m guessing the angelus matte is what is used as the resist finish over the lighter areas? 

Leland

1BD726BA-6D84-47CB-A0F0-906F3E0D7E63.jpeg

3B8610D1-4DF3-489F-A8BD-A9F556984CD5.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Leebroox said:

Thanks! I’ve only been doing leather work for about a year now and I’m having trouble locking down a good dyeing/coloring process. This was the most recent book cover I did and I have not figured out how to get that clean two-tone effect without the darks bleeding into the lights... thanks for your pointers. I’m guessing the angelus matte is what is used as the resist finish over the lighter areas? 

Leland

1BD726BA-6D84-47CB-A0F0-906F3E0D7E63.jpeg

3B8610D1-4DF3-489F-A8BD-A9F556984CD5.jpeg

Hey Leland!  That looks great!  Yes, I was using the matte finisher as a resist.  Great job on the lettering and you nailed the fouled anchor!  The stitching and color looks great as well.  That's going to be one happy ITCM and I'm sure it'll be a hit in the mess!  You may be getting real busy making those real soon. 

Jack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now