So, with friends and family, I usually give a good discount for any work that I do for them. however, when you think it is going to be an easy project and you say, oh yeah...I can do that for this much, without knowing how much a pain in the @$$ they are going to be.....then there is a problem.

I am doing a huge, thick dog collar for a friend for his great dane, no problem there, tells me he wants it to be 2" wide. well, I quoted him low, because I have done several samples for him, and he has changed is so many times.

All in all, the collar is turning out great, and i am on the home stretch. it is a 2.5" wide doubled over 7oz collar, 22" overall, double post buckle, custom name tooled, 3 color project with a handle. kinda like a service dog harness, but just a thick collar with a shorter handle. I should be charging him double, but I am to nice of a person. so all this headache and such, only giving it to him for $65. I should sell it for $150.

My lesson here is, even if they are a friend, double my price for "custom" work, and if it turns out to be easier then this...give them a discount if I feel it is worth it.

Friends and family git it free, with the understanding that they git worked in between other things .. no time frame rules.  And they buy any "exotic" materials they want if it isn't something I usually have.

But I'm with ya -- I once kissed a cute (cute cute, not just cute) redhead. Took like 2 years git rid of her.  Way more trouble than I thought I was in for. :blush:  Did not involve any collars.

Always a hard call...

When you're starting out, its good for free word of mouth advertising, but if they become too "demanding" its hard to keep a happy diposition.

I always tell myself I am still learning... and they had to wait for me to learn, and I would not have made it if someone didn't want to buy it...and I never mind selling to friends for less than the general public.  I do let them know they are getting the "friends and family" discount, and if anyone wants one made, how much they should let that individual know I would charge.  I get good advertising, materials paid for, and low stress on time frames.  Win win.  They get a good to great product, lifetime (mine) warranty, excellent pricing, and the opportunity to give me valuable feedback!

Eventually, though, I have to make some money at this job....  :huh:

YinTx

4 hours ago, Ragingstallion said:

So, with friends and family, I usually give a good discount for any work that I do for them. however, when you think it is going to be an easy project and you say, oh yeah...I can do that for this much, without knowing how much a pain in the @$$ they are going to be.....then there is a problem.

I am doing a huge, thick dog collar for a friend for his great dane, no problem there, tells me he wants it to be 2" wide. well, I quoted him low, because I have done several samples for him, and he has changed is so many times.

All in all, the collar is turning out great, and i am on the home stretch. it is a 2.5" wide doubled over 7oz collar, 22" overall, double post buckle, custom name tooled, 3 color project with a handle. kinda like a service dog harness, but just a thick collar with a shorter handle. I should be charging him double, but I am to nice of a person. so all this headache and such, only giving it to him for $65. I should sell it for $150.

My lesson here is, even if they are a friend, double my price for "custom" work, and if it turns out to be easier then this...give them a discount if I feel it is worth it.

Especially when you take into consideration that you said he has changed his wants so many times.  Once I quote a person a price, and that is based on the reality of materials and real labor time, that is the price that they will pay, for what they have originally asked for.  If I have client decide that they want to change things then I politely let them know that there WILL be additional charges due to the fact that I now have to redesign the project, change what has already been done, and that any additional materials will be added to the change; to make sure that they understand how much of an impact that/those changes have on things I almost double the labor that will be required to make said changes because they are now requiring me to let other customers know that their orders will be taking longer than expected due to an in progress project that will require additional time to make.  It is kind of like a "shaming" thing but if they really want it then fine, if not then they get what we originally agreed to and things stay on track.  Besides, the extra labor charged for such changes is to basically cover any discounts that I now have to give to those who have to wait longer; somebody has to pay for the time here and I have to discount something because of someone else not being able to stick to their order that was agreed upon then they are on the hook for potential loss in revenue.  I operate a business and my business has expenses and they will be covered.

5 hours ago, NVLeatherWorx said:

Especially when you take into consideration that you said he has changed his wants so many times.  Once I quote a person a price, and that is based on the reality of materials and real labor time, that is the price that they will pay, for what they have originally asked for.  If I have client decide that they want to change things then I politely let them know that there WILL be additional charges due to the fact that I now have to redesign the project, change what has already been done, and that any additional materials will be added to the change; to make sure that they understand how much of an impact that/those changes have on things I almost double the labor that will be required to make said changes because they are now requiring me to let other customers know that their orders will be taking longer than expected due to an in progress project that will require additional time to make.  It is kind of like a "shaming" thing but if they really want it then fine, if not then they get what we originally agreed to and things stay on track.  Besides, the extra labor charged for such changes is to basically cover any discounts that I now have to give to those who have to wait longer; somebody has to pay for the time here and I have to discount something because of someone else not being able to stick to their order that was agreed upon then they are on the hook for potential loss in revenue.  I operate a business and my business has expenses and they will be covered.

Buddy, that is well put. I am committing that to the memory banks.

You guys have scared the... stuffing out of me about pricing/selling stuff. I thought I could do stuff for people and they would just be happy. And so far, that’s how it’s been. But I have seen some of the... stuff Jim has gone through, and read some that you guys have gone through. I think I’ll just stick to my little happy projects and stay out of the deep water. 

5 hours ago, ScoobyNewbie said:

You guys have scared the... stuffing out of me about pricing/selling stuff. I thought I could do stuff for people and they would just be happy. And so far, that’s how it’s been. But I have seen some of the... stuff Jim has gone through, and read some that you guys have gone through. I think I’ll just stick to my little happy projects and stay out of the deep water. 

That's kind of how I feel about it. However, if you aren't doing custom pieces, I don't think you will see as much of it. 

My idea (and keep in mind I am not trying to live off this) is to build a little inventory and just sell what I have already made. I don't wish to be a business man again. 

When people ask if I'll make a certain item, and I want to make it, then I tell them if I make one of those I'll let you know. They can buy it or not. 

And be firm on your price, my boss has finally taught me that. Not everyone does "blank", and those that do don't do it for free.

Once you give a price that's the price, so be sure  you charge enough, have pride in your work or no one else will! "Get every thing it's worth"

I have done a few things for family and friends. They get a ONE TIME OFFER on a single item, usually the first if I decide its worth it for me to do that. They know its only for them, and any subsequent items will be full price.

"Mates rates" are the same as the every body else, but I go the extra distance on finish and/or quality if I can. As my leatherwork is a little rough 'still developing', this is my system with any items I make for people out of timber, steel, plastic etc etc. 

That’s how my family do it for their wood working. They make what they want to over the fall, winter and spring and then take it to a convention they have an in at and usually sell out. I should just pull up my big girl panties and do what they do. 

Had the same problem when doing wedding cakes between flavors and decoration - fondant vs. buttercream, etc.  Started showing them a couple options and if they wanted something different they paid the difference.

Don’t charge friends/family cash... charge them work hours..

if it takes you three hours to built something for them, then they owe you 3 hours labor. Have them come over and mow your lawn while you work on their stuff. They can also wash your car, clean the house, rake the yard... and so on. 

It’s only fair.... right

If they look at you weird when you tell them this and they decide you’re  being an ass, then shame on them. Time is time. 

On 22/01/2019 at 8:04 PM, chriscraft said:

if it takes you three hours to built something for them, then they owe you 3 hours labor. Have them come over and mow your lawn while you work on their stuff. They can also wash your car, clean the house, rake the yard... and so on. 

It’s only fair.... right

If they look at you weird when you tell them this and they decide you’re  being an ass, then shame on them. Time is time. 

Wow, I like this system! :thumbsup: One of my coworkers just dropped a deposit into my account a few minutes ago for a belt - I think I'm going to refund her. My yard needs mowing... ;)

On 1/22/2019 at 11:04 AM, chriscraft said:

It’s only fair.... right

Except that the friend I am doing this for, is half way across the USA from me. So it doesn't really work like that. and anything I would need help with on labor, they are either incapable, or things would just go faster without them, :P.

But, it is a new experience honestly, and something i am learning from, and that is the point.