Hello everyone, 

Thought I'd show off some restorations/conversions that I have recently done. While not as impressive as making my own stuff, this was my first foray into larger leather items outside of watch straps which I started making about 6 months ago for myself. 

While looking for material for watch straps I came across some beat up old swiss saddlebags in a box under a table of an old military surplus store. This first set was from 1939 and were in pretty rough shape. The bags were so nice that I decided I wouldn't reuse the leather for straps and instead put them away and began a slow process of softening up the stiff leather. Fast forward a few months and I bought another set, these dated 1941 and 1942. These were slightly different from my previous set and in much better condition. It was with these that I decided to try my hand at converting them into something different. For this first bag I did the following:

1. Removed all threads and rivets
  2. Cleaned and flattened the leather pieces
  3. Conditioned the leather
  4. Put it all together again by hand using Tiger thread that was a good match for the original thread and custom made aluminum rivets
  5. I also added some additional pieces:
  •  Handle (used the original connecting strap between the bags)
  • A back pouch for papers (this used one of the original saddlebags that wasn't restorable)
  • a lower luggage strap (used a 1942 K31 swiss rifle sling)
  • An upper luggage strap (this used the pieces/hardware from a 1946 Swiss canteen)
  • Shoulder pad (used more leather from the 1939 nonrestorable saddlebag)
  • Should strap (2 K31 rifle slings from 1945 and 1952).
  • A Swiss Army dog tag
  • A center strap using swiss army accessory straps
  • Modified single ammo pouch from 1944 (also torn apart, cleaned and restored)
  • A large ammo pouch from 1962 (same as the rest)

BYlcwf5.jpg

z851RFG.jpg

Uw25o0c.jpg

The 2nd bag is one of the originals from 1939. Unlike the 1942 bag that had 2 straps on the interior for horseshoes, this one only had a single pocket for one horseshoe. In the process of restoring this bag I again took it apart, cleaned it up and restored it. At some point in it's past a connecting bar had been poorly riveted to the back that I had to remove. It also had its original D-Rings for attaching to the horse saddle removed so I had to add new square rings to accomodate the shoulder strap.

When I put it back together I decided to add an additional pouch to this one and installed it between the front piece and the gusset and the welt. I also added a pencil pouch from a Swiss Army Officer's Bag from 1970. I also installed one of the straps from the unrestorable bag and moved the interior pocket to the side. 

I also decided to make a sleeve for my Macbook Pro just for a bit of added protection and used the same leather that was used for the handle wraps of both bags.

Modifications done to this one:

1. Removed all threads and rivets
  2. Cleaned and flattened the leather pieces
  3. Conditioned the leather
  4. Put it all together again by hand using Tiger thread that was a good match for the original thread and chicago screws
  5. I also added some additional pieces:
  •  Handle (used the original connecting strap between the bags)
  • A pencil pouch (from a 1970 Officer's bag)
  • Shoulder pad (used more leather from the 1939 nonrestorable saddlebag)
  • Should strap (2 K31 rifle slings from 1943and 1944).
  • A front center strap using swiss army accessory straps
  • A large ammo pouch from 1962 (same as the rest)

gjLbuz4.jpg

q2wINy4.jpg

xBxTl25.jpg

qjfpfGw.jpg

0Dgaxls.jpg

4MgBKqm.jpg

Y0pAHmA.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Nice love old leather bags. Glad you put them back in usable condition 

Wonderful! Thanks for posting. I love looking at the construction of leather bags.

Now that's what I call, "Character"!
Marvelous job - a LOT of work, and well worth it.

The Swiss army leather goods are incredible quality. We see them on the markets all the time here in Geneva.

I recently purchased a Swiss Army Saddler's clamp for 50 bucks...I haven't yet received it, but it looks pretty decent.

Pince de sellier

Very nice on both the bag and the clamp

Thanks everyone. I've really gotten into modifying these old bags and enjoy it quite a bit. Have a few vertical pack saddlebags inbound for something similar.