LederRudi

Practicing Basketweave...

…and still obsessed with angles.

Since I've ruined a belt strap lately I was in need of some kind of self-therapy and this is what I came up with. It's a modified Stohlman-pattern for a C02-revolver that I've bought some years ago for my then adolescent son.

Certainly not a spectacular piece. But I'm ready now to attack another belt strap. 

Comments welcome.

basketweave 03.jpg

Nice work! I'll be practicing more on basketweave again today. Your work is inspiring. 

Look great!

Thank you both, Vyo  and Rohn , for your kind words!

Sweet! Good job!

That looks just grand so it does

Just a wee 'but'. . the edge which will be along the fold over looks a bit too fussy

'Tis spectacular.  Look forward to seeing it finished!

YinTx

@SickMick, @fredk and @YinTx thank you for the compliments!

@fredk you are right. I should have added some more rows on the backside and completed the border stamping.

Nice work!  Looks great to me.

Great work with the basket weave.how is the project progressing?any new pics?

Looks great to me!

Thank you @noobleather and @Smartee!

I didn't do much in the meantime. Just oiled the piece and did the single-layer-edges: Moistened, slicked, dyed with oil dye, rubbed in a mixture of bees wax and glycerin soap (which might be nonsense from a scientific point of view but seems to work well [Woody Allen: "Whatever Works" ;) ]). 

basketweave 05.jpg

Wow basket weave and colour is starting to pop,nice edging

Edited by noobleather

That basket stamp looks good, and that's a nice color too.  But I'm confused about what's teh angle?@!

2 hours ago, JLSleather said:

That basket stamp looks good, and that's a nice color too.  But I'm confused about what's teh angle?@!

If I remember right he found what angle it took a stamp to complete full rows of stamping across..... a belt line. Then he didn't have to fuss with killing the stamp off with another tool.

Of I remember right.

I'm not sure of the application here.

Thanks for the compliments!

Since I had ruined a belt recently,  I reassessed  the angle I had found (paper ) on leather as well - its exactly the same! To me this is important because I want the impressions to run along the fold line.

As I said ... it's an obsession. ..

Edited by LederRudi

I've seen discussions about basket stamp angles before, going back about 30 years seems like.  Must be something obvious there i'm not seeing (i remember not saving that "doodle page" I got about this in the 80's).  I always just scribe a light line where i want the stamp to run on a holster, and belts have their own quick little way of linin' 'em up. Think I got a pic round here somewheres ...

That holster looks good, so I'm assuming that you have a valid, worthwhile point here that Im' just maybe not seeing.  But, wakin' up and getting ready to git busy so maybe some light humor with coffee before the phone madness starts?  

Maybe make us a video of how to make / determine this angle?  And what benefit we get from doing it?  Be sure to charge us for the video, so we know its "worth more" ... :rofl:  Oh -- cell phone video is fine, long as it aint shakey and shows the point of what yer talkin bout.  We care about the knowledge, not the "production" ;)

Edited by JLSleather

15 hours ago, JLSleather said:

Im' just maybe not seeing.

Are you sure you want to see this?  Cuz once you have seen it, you can't unsee it.  And then the obsession sets in.. and more things go in the bin that everyone else seems to think are just fine...

just askin...  :whistle:

YinTx

52 minutes ago, YinTx said:

Are you sure you want to see this?

I know I REALLY want to see it, and no worries about 'unseeing it', 'cos I definitely need a little help heaps of assistance with stuff like this!

3 hours ago, YinTx said:

Are you sure you want to see this?  Cuz once you have seen it, you can't unsee it.  And then the obsession sets in.. and more things go in the bin that everyone else seems to think are just fine...

just askin...  :whistle:

YinTx

Yeah … the obsession ...

I'll throw something together.

But I do not consider myself being qualified as a teacher here. I'm happy with every little progress I make and from time to time I discover the Philosopher's Stone which, after a while, proves to be just a stone ...

6 hours ago, LederRudi said:

I do not consider myself being qualified as a teacher here

You are talking about something at least a few of us are interested in knowing but do not currently know. That makes you qualified.

Why I like it complicated and don't simply scribe a middle line on a belt (with angled BW) I explained in anaother thread ("simple basketweave belt").

Here I present another Philosopher's Stone. Actually I'm aiming for a machine in which the stamp clicks in and is then moved automatically from position zu position.

In the Video I show a more simple prototype  ;) :

https://youtu.be/BDUniAceKmo

Edited by LederRudi

Okay, still not 'gittin'" it on the angle thing.  But I will say that your basket stampin' is crisp 'n' nicely done -- looks great!