acewoodturner

blank leather coasters

First post so if its been answered elsewhere, please forgive but I have searched without luck.

I run a small one person business making wooden gifts which are laser-engraved or cut out on the laser. Sometimes they are engraved and then cut out. Currently I am making around about 5000 90mm dia circular coasters which are laser-engraved. There is a lot of work involved in making these , particularly with reference to the sanding, most of which is done by hand. I am struggling to keep up with the quantities required and I don't want to get into RSI in my hands.

I do a fair amount of Welsh slate coasters and hope to increase the amount of these I sell.

I am looking to buy in some 4mm veg tan leather coasters, 90mm in diameter or thereabouts.

I bought some in from Tandy thinking the UK shop would be supplying them and was surprised to get an email telling me they were coming in from the US. They are 2.7mm thick which is too thin for my liking but will do for practice engraving. With Brexit/no Brexit on the horizon I would prefer not to have to import them

Can anybody suggest a UK supplier who can sell me wholesale supplies of coasters. There is the possibility in the next year or two if the leather coasters take off I might buy a clicker press and start cutting them out myself and save a few quid that way.

Many thanks

Mike

Fredk's experience importing from Tandy in the USA recently seems to suggest that you'd have no problems dealing with Tandy USA..

btw..Brexit doesn't / will not affect the imports from the USA at all..HMCE might ( definitely will ) get "backed up" is all..

IIWY..I'd get a clicker and be making my own leather coaster blanks already if I had 5K to do, save a lot of money that way.

Certainly easier than cutting rounds out of Welsh slate :)..When I lived in the UK I used to buy mine in from Blaenau Ffestiniog, and then screen print them with my own designs..

Pad printer might well be easier to use..the kind that does the insides ( bottoms ) of mugs.

interesting..my speelchucker thinks Blaenau Ffestiniog is completely incorrect..and even Google ( France ) thought Blaenau was incorrect ..

The slate quarry at Blaenau Ffestiniog is the most impressive place to be when a thunderstorm is raging..used to ride my motorcycle over to it ( 80 or so kms each way ) every time I had the chance when thunderstorms were predicted for that part of Wales..

Edited by mikesc

34 minutes ago, acewoodturner said:

They are 2.7mm thick which is too thin for my liking but will do for practice engraving

You could consider putting some thin cork on the back like the flooring type. Also if you transition to leather I would consider just stamping the designs in as against the laser and the associated cleaning up and sealing etc. There is where the clicker press may come in handy as well. That can go at about 30 seconds per stamping per piece.

Come to think of it..
When I was making Welsh slate coasters..( back in 78 / 79 / 80..) I was backing them with glued on thick felt. Cheaper than leather, and easy to get rounds at the sort of size you need..
I just had a look around and found a 15cm one that I kept ( complete with Welsh Dragon ) it has a red felt disc stuck on the back.

9 hours ago, acewoodturner said:

Can anybody suggest a UK supplier who can sell me wholesale supplies of coasters. There is the possibility in the next year or two if the leather coasters take off I might buy a clicker press and start cutting them out myself and save a few quid that way.

For the quantities you want I would ask Le Prevo Leather in Newcastle.

They sell pre-cut leather items and do leather fabrication as well as selling raw leather. They might work with you in cutting the discs and supplying them to you. No harm in asking. . . .  http://www.leprevo.co.uk/

I am pretty sure Abbey England also do some pre-cut items, such as the circles you are looking for. I have found them very easy to deal with, and I am about 12,000kms away.