twotrees

Choice of three machines, are any of these suited to my needs?

Hi everybody, 

Hoping to get some advice here.  I've finally decided that it's time for me to invest in a machine, hand stitching is awesome and I love the look of it but I've moved into more bag making and larger projects and I need to really cut down my time spent making items if I'm hoping to be profitable.

I was all set to order one of those hand crank machines but then I noticed a comment about bobbin size and I eventually made the link that a machine for repairs is not likely to be suitable for whole project production - that could have been a costly mistake!

So now I'm looking at electric, true walking foot machines.  I've found 3 potentials on Kijiji (Canada's version of CraigsList), that I'd like to run past the members here and hear your thoughts.  Before I list them, I make bags out of mostly 3-4 oz leather, most often joining 2 pieces but occasionally 3 pieces, meaning a total maximum thickness of around 10-12 oz.  Thread size hasn't really figured into this yet, I hand stitch with thread that's approximately .8mm, I prefer thread on the thicker side, but this isn't a deal breaker for me.  So, my choices are below, could you give me some advice on whether these machines will do the job I'd like them to do, and whether they're priced fairly?  I know they'e all a little banged up, but one of my other hobbies is tool and machinery restoration so I'm not too fussed about that.  Thanks in advance.

Consew 225 Link $400

Pfaff 145 Link $700

Singer 211W Link $800 - this one has a servo motor equipped - I gather that's a bonus right?

Thanks again,

Duncan

They all could!

do some sewing for you, but in reality they all need an additional pulley reduction setup. To properly work projects your considering at a better speed. They don't give these accessory items away at all!

I believe they all have a small bobbin setup, but thats fine. A size 92 thread can be used in your projects, and Im sure thats smaller than your using now. Something to research in hand can help there imho. 

It looks like your viewing a dealer of sorts in the ad, so that may have options. I like to think having reverse is for me, a non negotiable requirement. 

Good day

Floyd

They're all what we call upholstery-class machines and should be fine for what you want to make (other than thread size). The max. they will take is #138, which is significantly smaller than your hand stitching thread. All this means is that it won't look the same as hand stitching but will still work fine. The servo is definitely a must have and the one on the Singer looks good but the machine is obviously priced accordingly. Parts for he Singer/Consew should be easier/cheaper to get and extra feet for those are readily available. Everything for the Pfaff will cost more.

I'll have to leave it to others to comment on whether they're good value as I have no idea of pricing etc in your neck of the woods.

1 hour ago, twotrees said:

I've finally decided that it's time for me to invest in a machine, hand stitching is awesome and I love the look of it but I've moved into more bag making and larger projects and I need to really cut down my time spent making items if I'm hoping to be profitable.

If you purchase a machine to be profitable buy new. A used machine is going to have to be in peak operating condition which based on the photos those are not. Ask yourself how much money is it going take to bring them to a proper / dependable operating condition verses the cost of a new machine. I would pass on all three machines based solely on their wear patterns on the beds as it indicates to me a lot of use with an unknown amount of maintenance.

kgg

Read this thread and needle chart to understand how industrial sewing machine thread sizes compare to hand sewing thread sizes. Pay close attention to the right column under Diameter. You'll see that 0.8mm is about size 554 bonded, or 8 cord linen thread. Almost every upholstery class sewing machine maxes out with #138 (T135) thread, which is .414mm diameter.

5 hours ago, twotrees said:

Thread size hasn't really figured into this yet, I hand stitch with thread that's approximately .8mm, I prefer thread on the thicker side

You cannot sew .8mm thread into 10 ounces of leather. The lockstitch knots would occupy too much vertical space to hide them. Only the very largest needle and awl harness and sole stitchers can sew with #554/8 cord thread.

Can you sew everything you want to sew on a flat-bed, or at least the majority of what you want to do and hand sew the other bits? If not, you would probably be better off with a cylinder-arm machine. Apart from reduced availability and increased price, the disadvantage of a cylinder-arm machine is that larger panels are trickier to do than on a flat-bed. Ideally you'd have a matched pair of machines, one in each format. Realistically, for a situation where budget and space don't allow this, a cylinder-arm machine with a flat-bed attachment is a good compromise.

In direct answer to your question: assuming they're in good working order all of them could work, subject to the thread size compromises mentioned earlier and the restrictions of a flat-bed machine. Yes a servo motor is a massive benefit.

I would buy the Pfaff if it was me.  All 3 use the same bobbin size a "G" which is small.  The 145 should sew 207 on top.  The Consew and singer will not.  That being said, none of these will sew into the #277 and above.  If that is what you want, look at the Cowboy or Techsew heavy duty cylinder arm machines.

Edited by shoepatcher

The Pfaff 145 is fine.  Add a servo motor with 45mm motor pulley, and you're in business.

The Consew 225 would not be my preferred machine, due to the fact that it lacks reverse. 

I prefer big bobbin top loaders like Juki Lu-563, Pfaff 545, Pfaff 1245 etc, but if you can get by with a small bobbin the 145 is a fine machine.  

Edited by Pintodeluxe