NewfoundlandLaw

Press for Rivets and Snaps - So Confused!

Hey all

I have been setting my snaps manually with a hammer and I've decided it's time to buy a press and dies.   I'd like to be able to set leather snaps, rivets and punch holes with it. 

I don't have room for a kick press, so looks like I'm stuck with a bench mounted hand or electric press.  I don't mind spending a bit extra for a good press  

I've read countless forum posts, but I seem to keep getting more and more confused.  Any help is appreciated  

Bottom line is, what's the best press?

21 minutes ago, NewfoundlandLaw said:

I can only speak for myself, but I found this press at Campbell Randall, and it changed my world. I use it for setting snaps and rivets, but not for punching any holes.

http://www.campbell-randall.com/product/italian-twist-press-no-3

TWP-3.jpg

Edited by LatigoAmigo

30 minutes ago, NewfoundlandLaw said:

Tandy (https://www.tandyleather.com/en/product/craftool-hand-press)

Buckleguy (https://www.buckleguy.com/bg-setter-hand-foot-press-requires-setter-die-w-screw-1/)

Weaver (https://www.weaverleathersupply.com/catalog/item-detail/65-6650/master-tools-little-wonder-/pr_30070)

Check eBay if you're go with the Weaver press, sometimes you can pick one up for less than the list price.

The real expense are the press dies you'll need for each size of rivet, snap, etc... you'll want to use.  For the Tandy those run from $50 - $90 for each set.

One other consideration, in one of Ian Atkinson's videos he mentions the Weaver double-cap rivets (maybe snaps?) don't work as well with his Tandy dies and speculates they may just be slightly different sizes.  So you may want to get the press from whomever you expect to buy most of your supplies.  I have the Tandy press and have been happy with it, but I have nothing else to compare it to.

Edited by mdv99

I understand Buckleguys snaps, rivets, etc are excellent quality and consistent so I'm waiting another month or so for their setter which is currently out of stock. They also recently introduced free shipping on orders over $100. I enjoyed doing business with them even before the new shipping policy@

I have many presses from the heritage kick press, old antique desk mounts, the old Tandy press. Hands down the best most versatile press I have is the Weaver little wonder.

13 hours ago, LatigoAmigo said:

I can only speak for myself, but I found this press at Campbell Randall, and it changed my world. I use it for setting snaps and rivets, but not for punching any holes.

http://www.campbell-randall.com/product/italian-twist-press-no-3

TWP-3.jpg

Where do you buy the dies for this machine? Have you happened to use buckleguy dies, or rivets/snaps?  Just wondering about compatibility...I don't think there is a universal size.

1 hour ago, Mark842 said:

I have many presses from the heritage kick press, old antique desk mounts, the old Tandy press. Hands down the best most versatile press I have is the Weaver little wonder.

I see that unit everywhere. What makes it worth twice the price of others? Do they have an annual sale, or a leather business price?

Edited by jrprottas

I use a 1T arbor press from Princess Auto. I use it with my 3d stamps as well.

I bought this set of dies: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32801191336.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.28884c4dlLS7bn

and I use these snaps: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32616479266.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.28884c4dlLS7bn

It does not fit the Tandy glove snaps even though they are same size.

4 hours ago, jrprottas said:

Where do you buy the dies for this machine? Have you happened to use buckleguy dies, or rivets/snaps?  Just wondering about compatibility...I don't think there is a universal size.

You are correct about "universal size" as there isn't one. I purchased my dies from Ohio Travel Bag, and use Buckleguy snaps and rivets. 

8 hours ago, jrprottas said:

I see that unit everywhere. What makes it worth twice the price of others? Do they have an annual sale, or a leather business price?

Unlike the press you are using the little wonder has height adjustment, mounted guides, fits about every attachment imaginable for snaps, spots, rivets, gems, crystals, grommets, jiffy's. bulk rivet feeders , keeper staples and probably a few things I'm forgetting. The handle is leveraged so that you can set a steel rivet in 3/4" latigo with literally 1 finger pressure. If you are a business you can buy it for $235. Comes with Rivet setters for that price. Will fit any attachment made for the Tandy press, Campbell press, heritage foot press.

Thanks for the info Mark - I better understand. Will dies other than Weavers fit on it?

1 minute ago, jrprottas said:

Thanks for the info Mark - I better understand. Will dies other than Weavers fit on it?

Yes, all my old Tandy dies fit it. I use Tandy snap dies for line 20, 24 and segma. The rest of my dies are weaver

I have a arbor press from harbor freight, took it to a machine shop here in town and had a hole with a locking screw drilled into it. bought a half inch drill chuck off amazon, use tandy snap setters. can do kydex with it if i wanted also. drilling it out turned it into the most versatile machine i have in my shop. so from holes, to snaps to stamps it does it all. there are numerous videos on youtube for modifications for leather working with an arbor press, before you buy a snap setter you should check them out.

1 hour ago, Sturme said:

I have a arbor press from harbor freight, took it to a machine shop here in town and had a hole with a locking screw drilled into it. bought a half inch drill chuck off amazon, use tandy snap setters. can do kydex with it if i wanted also. drilling it out turned it into the most versatile machine i have in my shop. so from holes, to snaps to stamps it does it all. there are numerous videos on youtube for modifications for leather working with an arbor press, before you buy a snap setter you should check them out.

is it the one ton arbor press for 56 bucks? 39 if you have a coupon

Would you mind linking a picture of the 1/2" drill chuck you got for Arbor Press?

Thank you

2 hours ago, Sturme said:

here you go

I sure hope you don't mind, but sometimes links get "unlinked", and then no one can see what you're sharing, so here is the image for all to see...

51be91b59DL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Edited by LatigoAmigo

22 minutes ago, LatigoAmigo said:

I sure hope you don't mind, but sometimes links get "unlinked", and then no one can see what you're sharing, so here is the image for all to see...

51be91b59DL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

thanks

I have recently purchased a snap setter from Kamsnaps.  The customer service is top notch.  I had some issue with their new style die not setting the dome section correctly, they sent one of their old style and it worked really well.  If you buy from them, request one of those when you order.

Having a press of any sort that works is a game changer for sure.

YinTx

I bought two sets of dies to suit line 20 and line 24 snaps.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32486314538.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.4b214c4dqX59Nr

Drilled and tapped an 8mm hole in my cheap arbor press. Works fantastically. I will pick up a few more sets of dies.

They are pretty good quality and super cheap. I still need to make a rotating bottom holder so I can load different sets of dies.

I'll post some photos once it's finished.