Lostranger

Reasonable Price Source for Clicker Dies?

I need to have several dies made, but the prices I've found so far scare me. Of course I do not want to buy junk, but neither do I want to have to mortgage the farm to buy some dies. Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced source with which you have experience?

TIA

Jim in NC

I have dies from both Int'l Die and Tx Custom Dies.  I suppose "reasonable" to one is not reasonable to another :dunno: 

There are more places to have them done and I haven't tried them all, but I have talked with a few I didn't order from for various reasons.  Both these places sent me the right shape at the right time for a price that was acceptable. 

3 hours ago, Lostranger said:

I need to have several dies made, but the prices I've found so far scare me. Of course I do not want to buy junk, but neither do I want to have to mortgage the farm to buy some dies. Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced source with which you have experience?

Out of interest Jim, what prices were you quoted, and for what? Sometimes dies just are expensive -- there can be a lot of skilled labour and surprisingly expensive punch tubes. One contributor to this forum paid about $1000 for a single die a while ago, but it paid off quickly for him.

Prices seem to vary a lot for the same dies from different companies. For one basic set of dies (two small, simple dies with no punches) I got quotes from a half-dozen British companies ranging from about £50-500 last year. Part of the price difference is the speed and quality of service. Feasibly there could be a quality difference here too -- the most expensive were I think were forged dies, most were strip knives (and potentially some no-name stock, others decent brands). I ended up with the second-cheapest quote as they actually offered the fastest turnaround and those dies have been used hundreds of times since, with no noticeable wear.

Thanks for each comment. Specific sources is what I’m after. I have bookmarked both the sites mentioned by JLSLeather, and I will contact them to discuss my needs. 

I’d love for more of you to chime in. We’ve done harness and strap goods for a long time and never felt that we needed a clicker. That changed when we broadened our line three years ago. Cutting parts by hand has gotten to be oppressive for the two of us. Most of you know that story.

There is a video from Harry rogers who is making his own simple dies, not sure how practical it is, I guess just another skill to learn,

I wanted a small clicker die for a key ring tab, . . . Weaver Leathercraft made it for me for less than $80 if I recall correctly.

I would never have cut out that many by hand, . . . you can be assured of that, . . . the clicker "does the job", . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

Not to sound course, but a quick and simple Google search turns up 9 MORE in addition to the two I mentioned.