Brooks125

Hole spacing for adjustable straps

Is there a trick to getting spacing correct on adjustable straps?  I have got my shoulder holster patterns down pretty well, but as much as i try to be accurate on the hole spacing for the straps, some are always just a tad off, which is usually the ones that make the strap bow IN towards the wearer.   I like to use 2 screws to secure the strap, both for redundancy and fit, but being accurate on 1.5" hole spacing is a bit of a stumbling block.

I got a Craftool belt tool thingy and my problems went away. Line it up with the end and make sure it is centered and Bob's your uncle! You can use it for consistent spacing as well as an end cutter.

Item #3604-04 on Tandy.

I have a set of these;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Prettyia-5pcs-Belt-Billet-Buckle-Head-End-Template-Leathercraft-Accessories/283420506040?hash=item41fd2db7b8:g:f0IAAOSwQXdcjkr~

sometimes I just set a wing divider to the spacing and walk it along the centre of the strap

Go to Joann Fabric, . . . get their plastic 36 x 60 inch mat, . . . you can layout anything on it . . . within the 60 inch limit.  

It keeps me centered on belts, straps, holsters, you name it.

About 60 bucks, . . . but they do coupons for up to 60% off at times.

May God bless,

Dwight

Agree with the wing divider suggestion for the spacing. Pretty foolproof as long as you've got the center line determined.

Before actually punching the hole, just press the punch down tight to leave a mark, but not cut.  Lift the punch away to see if the mark left by the punch is centered on your markings.

Tom

On 3/19/2020 at 8:32 AM, KYCat said:

Agree with the wing divider suggestion for the spacing. Pretty foolproof as long as you've got the center line determined.

... and FredK are the winners on this one!  I know it's been awhile but ... I set a groover to the midline of the strap and used the divider to mark the holes.  I was amazed how well they came out.  It was quicker too!  Simple solution to the problem.  Thanks!

A good solution is to make templates and print them (I use photo laser paper because it's a little stiffer), and if used often glue them to thicker card paper.

Cut it out and punch out the holes, lay it on top of your strap and push with your hole punch to make an impression, remove template and punch your holes. 

If you give me the dimensions (A photo of a paper drawing or paint or anything will work fine) and I guess you want letter

size? And I make the templates for you.

.285720682_Skarmavbild2020-10-28kl_22_09_18.png.782e549881d8eeec25590b5959137308.png

Edited by Danne

The problem with templates is they push the blade out of the vertical. I use Ivan English point punches, at long last affordable. Check out their corner punches too, the white line on the outside lines up with the point of the corner.

8 hours ago, Rahere said:

The problem with templates is they push the blade out of the vertical. I use Ivan English point punches, at long last affordable. Check out their corner punches too, the white line on the outside lines up with the point of the corner.

Never had any problems. A primary shallow cut, and one or two secondary cuts and perfect result.