Stitchaholic

how to attach fabric to leather

I was wanting to attach a piece of a bandana to the inside of a leather wallet where the bills go, with contact cement.

My question is, what should I smooth the inside of the leather with and what do I lay the fabric on to brush on the

cement. Maybe I should just sew the fabric to the top of the leather and let it just hang inside with the bottom and siides

sewed  together. This is my first wallet.

I suggest spray adhesive and sew the edges with leather folded over the fabric.  Brushing contact cement on a cotton handkerchief will be an exercise in frustration.  Ask me how I know:whistle:

How I do fabric linings

1. Cut the fabric larger than needed for the leather

2. Stretch the fabric tight and pin or staple to a board.

3. Apply a thin coat of contact adhesive to the leather only, with attention to edges

4. When the adhesive is still slightly tacky, almost dry, slap the leather down on the fabric

5. Use a brayer to press the leather down, working from centre outwards in a star pattern

6. Release fabric from board and turn over, use brayer to lightly press the fabric to the leather

7. Trim fabric to size of leather with scissors, very sharp scalpel or circular knife

8. Sew leather and fabric together as normal in project

I've never needed to smooth the inside, the flesh side, of leather for this. Of course the leather needs to be dyed, sealed and edged beforehand.

fredk, sounds a good process how does this work with fabric that frays on the cut edge?

1. your initial fraying will be on that excess beyond what is needed. If it frays badly just have a wide margin

2. If you pay attention to the edges of the leather, ie have good glue coverage, when you cut the excess fabric off the edge, the new edge, the fibres will be stuck together by the glue

3. If you do have a bit of fraying, just wipe a very, very small amount of glue along the new edge

Thanks fredk :)

I should add; use your liquid adhesive sparingly. Too much wet glue can squeeze through the weave. You just need enough to keep the fabric in place. Generally its not going to be getting pulled away from the leather

3 hours ago, HaloJones said:

fredk, sounds a good process how does this work with fabric that frays on the cut edge?

I use pinking shears to cut canvas / stuff that frays

then fold the fabric over and sew a hem ,  this way you do not have a jagged edge

One little trick I've used ( depending on the fabric) is to seal the inside of the fabric with a  sealer used to seal paper, drawings etc. , let dry and then apply the adhesive. I have had adhesive go through the fabric before, making a mess and looking ugly,  so this trick seems to work. 

HS

On 4/16/2020 at 7:37 PM, garypl said:

I suggest spray adhesive and sew the edges with leather folded over the fabric.

21 hours ago, fredk said:

I should add; use your liquid adhesive sparingly. Too much wet glue can squeeze through the weave. You just need enough to keep the fabric in place.

Just chiming in to say that I also would suggest spray adhesive - but still used sparingly! It’s awful when applied too heavily, I’ve learned that lesson from experience. :wacko:

Another adhesive we have forgotten about; the sheets of heat activated adhesive. It needs using carefully as too much heat can destroy the leather

eg; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Adhesive-Iron-On-Sheet-by-Sizzix-by-Sizzix-663009-/113709155177?hash=item1a79980369

If you just need a fabric lining you can get materials with iron-on heat activated adhesive on it

eg; ebay.co.uk/itm/Iron-On-Fusible-Non-Woven-White-Black-Interfacing-Lightweight-Medium-0-9M-Wide/262845535860?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I normally use spray adhesive, but have been looking at the heat activated sheets, but have been concerned about making the leather go hard or warped.

Bert.

Tbh I've only used the iron-on a few times. The solid sheet didn't work out happy for me; the heat was too much and the leather shrivelled. I need to get an iron on which I can set a lower heat. On the interlining, it was more successful. I used black to cover some thin aluminium tape (for RFID blocking) inside credit/debit card wallets. But again, that iron with a lower heat setting is looked for. As well, my iron is a steam iron which only works with water in it. Hot water and leather are not a happy combo.

Fred, what the HECK is a 'brayer'?? Other than this:

We obviously don't use that term on this side of the pond!  :lol:

image.jpeg.d3a63aacdd0a41f60a3b503f3c462c55.jpeg

Edited by Sheilajeanne

4 minutes ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Fred, what the HECK is a 'brayer'?? Other than this: image.jpeg.d3a63aacdd0a41f60a3b503f3c462c55.jpeg

ROFL - That's one kind of brayer.   A brayer is nothing more than a tool with a wide roller on it.  They are used to roll stuff down, put ink on a woodcut, or even press down adhesive tapes in construction - although they call it a J roller.

- Bill

:17:    wot he says

71m0Nl9X8pL._SX355_.jpg