DaveP

Half round punches

What do you recommend for half round punches? Using on veg tan 7-9 ounce. 

Thanks again  

For cutting end straps. What do you use?

Ok...no one uses them !

1 hour ago, DaveP said:

Ok...no one uses them !

It's one of those top secret activities nobody ever talks about, Dave. LOL

For what it's worth, I only have one half round. It's a two inch punch from Weaver. I'm not committed to the whole half circle thing on every piece and I pretty much use this for everything that would require a round end or reasonable facsimile thereof. It puts a nice arc on straps from one inch wide and up. Any smaller than that and I start looking for my rounded corner punches. Again, not the full half circle but a nice arc instead.

As to the punch itself, it's OK. Nothing special but no complaints. To avoid comparing apples to oranges I looked at the price difference between Weaver and Tandy. 1 1/2 inch punches. (Tandy doesn't offer anything bigger.) You could save $13.00 if you got the Tandy. I have one of their English Point punches and it's just fine.

Regards,

Arturo

Not something I use a lot, I bought a cheapie set (4 sizes) and find they work fine for my needs. They're nothing fancy, plain steel so will rust easily.

I bought a cheap set of half round punches several years ago, but only use one size with any regularity.    One point to make, is that the quality of the edges was poor, and took a fair bit of work to make them useable, but at the price I paid, I had expected that.

I have a set of half round, V shape, slot and 1/4th round. I have found a grate many uses for all of them. though not usually for their intended use.  a good example is I use the 1/4 round, that are usually used to round the corners as a way to make English points. ( why not buy a set you ask.... I HAVE NO IDEA!:clapping:) What Im saying is that for me the more tools I have the more options I have for doing stuff. That said I am NOT doing ANY thing I couldn't do before. When all I had was a sharp blade some stamps and a big metal hammer. I just do it cleaner and faster now that I have the fancy tools. 

.... Besides the fact I LOVE TOOLS!

4 hours ago, Grumpymann said:

I have a set of half round, V shape, slot and 1/4th round. I have found a grate many uses for all of them. though not usually for their intended use.  a good example is I use the 1/4 round, that are usually used to round the corners as a way to make English points. ( why not buy a set you ask.... I HAVE NO IDEA!:clapping:) What Im saying is that for me the more tools I have the more options I have for doing stuff. That said I am NOT doing ANY thing I couldn't do before. When all I had was a sharp blade some stamps and a big metal hammer. I just do it cleaner and faster now that I have the fancy tools. 

.... Besides the fact I LOVE TOOLS!

You can never have enough tools, not humanly possible.:thumbsup:

Thanks for the replies ! I'll look into getting one of the bigger ones for multiple uses.

50 minutes ago, LumpenDoodle2 said:

Yeah, I think I'm at a point where acquiring and managing my tools is becoming a separate hobby from the actual use of the tools. LOL

Kyoshin Elle. Rocky Mountain Leather Supply stocks them if you don't wanna order from goodsjapan.com.

Edited by Hardrada

10 hours ago, LumpenDoodle2 said:

Don’t start collecting machine tools. The car winds up outside in no time 

6 hours ago, 480volt said:

Don’t start collecting machine tools. The car winds up outside in no time 

See, that’s where you’ve been going wrong all this time.   Garages were never meant for cars, they are where your tool collection lives.   Also the shed, the car port, and the spare room.:rofl:

15 hours ago, LumpenDoodle2 said:

See, that’s where you’ve been going wrong all this time.   Garages were never meant for cars, they are where your tool collection lives.   Also the shed, the car port, and the spare room.:rofl:

Going way, way off topic:

A Cincinnati Bickford 21” Super Service square column drill showed up on CL close to me, for not much more than scrap price. I really had to talk myself down from buying it. Would have had to pay riggers to move it because I really wouldn’t be comfortable laying a 3000 lb machine on its side to get under the door header. Not to mention, I’ll never need a machine with a 60 rpm slow speed and MT 5 tooling. This picture is a similar machine in 28”

F0C6F206-823F-4430-9140-D653217E7D80.jpeg

if you are wanting something that will last and do an exceptional job you might want to check C.S. osborn leather tools, but for the other guys...and if they got an osborn catalog?  it would be like a kid in a candy store. they have them ion sizes from 1/4 in. to 2 in. billet and buckle end plus they have 5 of them in a square end with rounded corners, from 1 in. to 2 1/2 in. hope this helps

The strap end punches I use came from Birdsall Leather in NSW. Non- branded ' V' & ' U' punches. They work just fine, work even better since  they were on special  :)  I just sharpen them up from time to time.

On 5/8/2020 at 10:50 PM, LumpenDoodle2 said:

You can never have enough tools, not humanly possible

I agree.  I go into tool shops even when I don't need to buy any, but 'tis nice to look eh? Like a kid in a sweet shop  :) 

HS